All reviewsbase campeagle viewmasai marathe riverdomestic airportgame driveslocal womengreat safarinational parkamazing experiencewalking safarilocal communityanimals grazingoutdoor showeranimal noisesmain campthree nights
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Basecamp is a model setup for sustainability without losing comfort and functionality. The camp is on the edge of the park so wildlife can come walking right into the area. Fortunately the Masai watch the grounds at night to keep you safe! Food was outstanding and the Masai were incredibly friendly! I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great. each one has a balcony overlooking the river that runs through the area so you have a front row seat to wildlife.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Honestly, everything was perfect. From the accommodations being VERY clean and VERY comfortable, to the food being awesome(The Chef was unbelievable. You'd think you were dining at a 5 star restaurant), to being located right next to the park gate. But to me what topped it all off was the staff. The were all extremely friendly, professional, and literally tended to our ever need. But even better was the fact that my daughter and I were lucky enough to be the only two guest our first night which meant the staff didn't have to take care of anyone else. So, after dinner we had the opportunity to sit down around a campfire with much of the staff and just relax and talk for a couple hours about the park and life in Kenya. They were so charming. It was a lot of fun. And lastly, our driver Joseph was the best. He was extremely knowledgeable with respect to the park itself and the wild life there. His ability to find or spot animals was unbelievable! But, more than that, he was just so nice and really fun to have for our game drives. We had a lot of laughs with Joseph. If you stay at Basecamp you have to request Joseph for your game drives!!!

One piece of advise. Be sure to lock your tent. It turns out Vervet Monkeys love chocolate, popcorn, and sugar cookies. We found out the hard way. :-)

John C.
Virginia, U.S.A.

Room Tip: Ask for tent 16...known as the
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We were upgraded from Basecamp's original property to the newer, more upscale Wilderness Camp and had an amazing, fabulous experience. We were hesitant to accept the upgrade due to the lack of information on Wilderness (and great reviews of Basecamp), and are SOOOOO happy we agreed. Read on for more...

THE LODGE: Wilderness is in a rather remote area to the north of the Masai Mara Game Reserve. By "remote" I mean unspoiled, spectacularly beautiful, and the abundant wildlife without seeing a single other vehicle except the camp's other truck. Wilderness has just 5 tents and the main lodge, all set on a hill ("escarpment") with spectacular, wide and long views of the savannah. With a watering hole just below, we saw zebras, giraffes, baboons, topi, wildebeest, elephants and more right from our deck from the moment we arrived. The main lodge and the tents are luxuriously crafted from local materials and incredibly comfortable - and the tents are HUGE. There is a large, lovely bathroom with shower carved from wood and a flush toilet, an entryway with extra sink, closets, and counter space, a large bedroom, and a HUGE shaded deck overlooking the savannah - with lounge chairs, a sofa, sitting chairs and a table. Spectacular sunrises or sunsets depending on which side of the main lodge you are at. On top of this, Wilderness is a true eco-lodge engaged in all sorts of community projects and with all Masai staff - the friendliest, most helpful people you can imagine, and a true cultural encounter from the moment you arrive. The food was OUTSTANDING, according to my traveling mate (because I arrived with a nasty stomach bug, all my food (what I was able to eat) was prepared for me and brought to my room. Although I spent two days sick and unable to go on game drives, the amazing views and abundant animals I could watch right from my deck made me feel that I wasn't missing a thing). The Basecamp Board of Directors was staying at our lodge at the same time, which shows the organization's dedication to its principles and facilities. The size of the camp, with just 5 tents, means that you become friends with other visitors, but eliminates noise, crowding, and competition - a truly intimate, exclusive, luxurious experience. Truly, I could not say more about the camp, the staff, the facilities, and (according to my friend) the food. Did I mention that 30 lions spent the night in camp one night - two prides competing for territory, roaring and growling all night long? Along with the elephants that were fighting, we didn't get a whole lot of sleep, but what a reason!

THE AREA: We saw everything you could hope for in a safari and then some. Our guide, Derek, is Masai and was not only expert in finding animals, but took genuine pleasure in being among them, just as we did. He answered our many questions about Masai life and talked eagerly about his one trip to Norway (to promote the camp). The drive from the Ol Kiombo airstrip is long (about 1.5 hours), but on the very first day we saw so much just driving to camp that it took about 4 hours to get back - lions, cheetahs, giraffes, zebras, warthogs, topi, gazelles, and more - and then we watched a calf being born. That evening, Derek asked what else we wanted to see and we said "elephants" - and 10 minutes later we were surrounded by 150 elephants eating, munching trees, walking around, interacting with each other. Bulls, mothers, and babies. It was so mesmerizing we spent an hour just sitting among them. The rest of the trip was the same. And on every drive, we were alone (I believe my friend went out with two other people one time while I was sick; the other drives she had Derek all to herself). So no cramming 6 - 8 tourists into a vehicle for 4 hours game drives and waiting while the one photography buff sets up to capture the perfect shot - just the two of us and Derek, driving around at our own whim, experiencing nature in addition to photographing it.

Need I say more? We never visited the main Basecamp camp, so I can't comment on it - people seem to love it - but if you have the opportunity to go to Wilderness Camp, which may be a bit more expensive, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is a dream come true.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded March 11, 2011

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are glad that you enjoyed your time in Wilderness even though you arrived unwell. Hopefully you willl be able to visit us again in the future best regards Annette Bulman (General manager Destinations Kenya)

Reviewed February 18, 2011

The service at Basecamp Masai Mara was excellent, the food fresh and tasty and the rooms/tents always clean and tidy. I was especially impressed by how well the eco friendly system worked, everything is recycled, electricity run by solar panels and the locals (The Maasai) used as manpower. I really felt as part of the Masai family and it does give great hope to actually live in such a green well functional environment. Congrats!! You made it!!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 3, 2011

What a place!
My partner and I spent New Year at Basecamp and were delighted with everything about the place.
This started with the drive from the airstrip. We saw so many, and such a variety of animals, that we began to think someone was pushing them out of lorries just round the corner! Our knowledgeable driver knew where we would be likely to see animals large and small. At one point he stopped the car for no apparent reason, until he pointed out a huge dung beetle in the road, rolling his dung home to his lady! We even saw a whole family of bat-eared foxes, perched on a mound.
This set the tone for a magical stay. The 'room' perched on an escarpment, overlooking a water hole, which was constantly visited by animals and stunning birds. The comfortable bed and living area with private balcony. The friendly and amenable staff, always welcoming in the bar. The delicious food, eaten overlooking the waterhole and an unimaginably huge view!
The game drives were filled with even more amazing sites in this secluded part of the Mara. Being outside the park made it much more private, unlike the busy areas which are full of minivans & crisscrossed with roads.
We celebrated the new year under the most amazing star filled sky! What a way to start a new year - surrounded by the most glorious and inspiring nature and catered and cared for by the most friendly and informative staff!
I can't recommend this camp highly enough!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple