We arrived at the Lodge very late in the evening as we had some trouble with transport. The staff at the lodge were in constant contact with our driver, in order that we could gain access to the game reserve. I feel that they really went above the call of duty here. From the moment we arrived the staff were wonderful. The staff genuinely seemed to want to make sure you had a great time, and it felt a little less forced than other resorts I had been at within Kenya this holiday. The Masai were so informative, we were guided to our room by torchlight as the lodge is unfenced and so they escort you as there are animals roaming freely in the darkness. On the way to our room we were greeted by zebra, buffalo and wildebeest grazing outside our room. The room itself was dominated by a huge, extremely comfortable bed, which had a canopy mosquito net which was put out and then returned each day by the staff who also turned down the room. The shower was hot with good pressure. The room was clean and had wonderful views over the Mara, you could sit on your balcony and watch nature unfold before your eyes. The power outages were at convenient times of day, so they interfered very little with anything. The food was nice enough, although the choices were sometimes odd, apparently though the desserts were amazing! The hippo pool was a wonderful place to spend the day, watching the hippos wallowing and the crocodiles sunbathing, watching herds of elephants wandering past along with all the other animals of the mara. I sat there for hours talking to Samson the bar man who would happily point out all the birds and passing wildlife, giving you information about them all. He was a wonderful man, who always made you feel welcome and told you the good times of day to be there to see things happen, like the hippos returning to land to graze of an evening. We also went on a nature walk that are organised by the lodge, which was a good bit of fun and we learnt about Masai life (and a lot about poo!) The game drives from the lodge were fantastic, the location of the lodge is wonderful and within moments you are seeing what you came to see. Joshua one of the Masai is so happy to share his experience, he has a vast knowledge and was ready to point out the birds, insects and smaller creatures, whilst we were on the hunt for the big 5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Over 700 square miles of lush, sun-drenched plains encircle Keekorok Lodge, the oldest property in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in southwest Kenya. The lodge was opened in 1962 and is ideally situated in the direct path of the spectacular animal migration that occurs every year from July to October. Guests can experience unparalleled safari adventures and morning and evening game drives are a must for anyone visiting the reserve ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keekorok Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve