The hippo pool, that is part of the hotel, is the star attraction. One can sit at the hippo pool bar, that is right next to the pool, sip beers and watch the huge hippos wallow and tussle in the pool. The antics are very amusing as they establish territory by passing wind and spreading their dung by vigorous tail movements! The Masai warriors, in their colourful tunics, provide additional colour and talking to them about their customs is interesting...not too sure about their tales of having to kill a lion before they could get married. The rooms are simple but tastefully decorated and have a nostalgic air about them. There is no fence around the hotel so animals can come into the hotel grounds and early morning before breakfast is a great time to see them. At night time the hippos wander near the hotel and one can hear them grunting outside the verandah...so keep your doors and windows well locked. Staff are friendly and are happy to escort you with torches from the main hotel reception and dining room to the guest rooms that are separate and arranged around an open area. The hotel lounge is relaxing with nice sofas around fireplaces that are lit in the cool evenings. Don't miss going through the hotel visitor / guest book as we discovered some entries by one talented guest who has left wonderful sketches of animals seen on safari. The meals were excellent with western and Indian dishes both of which were very tasty. The bar in the lounge area is also well stocked. There is a shop with souvenirs of good quality. The safari park is of course fantastic with thousands of wildebeest especially around the Mara river during July / August.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Over 700 square miles of lush, sun-drenched plains encircle Keekorok Lodge, the oldest property in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in southwest Kenya. The lodge was opened in 1962 and is ideally situated in the direct path of the spectacular animal migration that occurs every year from July to October. Guests can experience unparalleled safari adventures and morning and evening game drives are a must for anyone visiting the reserve ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keekorok Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve