We booked ourselves into the Keekorok Lodge after doing a fair bit of research on the net. Since this was our first visit to Africa, we were not too sure what we would find. Turns out we chose well. The lodge is set on expansive grounds in the thick of the reserve, and this makes it very convenient since good wildlife is never too far away. Each time we drove out on a trip into the reserve, we started seeing game pretty much just out of the main gate. We stayed in a well appointed, detached and independent one room cottage that was both very stylish and very comfortable. Attention to detail is commendable and our cottage was thoroughly serviced every day. The food was very good too, with an extensive spread at the buffet table for all three meals. Staff were unobtrusive and courteous at all times. The spacious gounds are very well landscaped and equally well kept. There is a log cabin style bar on stilts at the back of the grounds, right next to a large, natural watering hole. This is a great place to sit out an afternoon over a couple of drinks, watching the wild life, mostly a large herd of hippos, lazing around in the water. The place abounds in baboons and chimpanzees. The highlight of our stay there would surely be the adolescent chimp which laid seige to our cottage one afternoon. Seeing some juicy fruits on the table just inside the door, the little fella just parked himself in front of the cottage and even tried to sneakily push open the door and come in - no doubt to make a grab for the goodies - when he thought we were not looking !!
Typically in African Game reserves, one has a lot of time between the morning and evening game drives. Keekorok is a lovely place to just relax and hang out through the day. Our time at Keekrok left us refreshed and we would certainly go back again if we ever had a chance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Over 700 square miles of lush, sun-drenched plains encircle Keekorok Lodge, the oldest property in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in southwest Kenya. The lodge was opened in 1962 and is ideally situated in the direct path of the spectacular animal migration that occurs every year from July to October. Guests can experience unparalleled safari adventures and morning and evening game drives are a must for anyone visiting the reserve ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keekorok Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve