Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Porini Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
View Hotel
    Mara Leisure Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Breakfast included
    Mara West Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Restaurant
    Mara Siria Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Pool
    • Restaurant
    Sarova Mara Game Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Breakfast included
    AA Lodge Masai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Breakfast included
    Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Breakfast included
    Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsour waiterkids clubchef tomtalek rivergame driveswake up callbreakfast boxhot water bottlesfour poster bedelectric fencefamily tentreubenhot chocolate and biscuitsolkiombo airstripblack rhinotented camphardwood floors
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed October 16, 2010

We visited Masai Mara Kenya in April 2010 for one week.

we are a family of 5 and so had requested a family tent. We were given tents no 26-28 which were over looking the river. The tent was beautiful. The tent looked exactly like the pics that you see on the heritage website.

The staff took an active interest in making sure that everything was ok including personalizing service to meet our needs. Of cause, always special attention was given to the kids.

We had James (saruni) as our guide from the time he picked us up at the air strip to the time he dropped us off 6 days later.

We chose the intrepid club because of the family tents as our kids would not be comfortable to sleep alone and also the adventurers club. It did not disappoint. during our stay our children who were 12 and 9 at the time of travel were taught to catch butterflies and identify them before letting them go, were taught to use bow and arrows which were made from the branches of trees in the camp, tracked the footprints of hyenas and made a copy out of clay, to make chains from maasai beads and also participated in many games organized for them. There were days that my daughters were the only kids in camp but still an active interest was taken to keep them happy.. The kids just loved the activities which took place at 2pm – 3:30pm (until the evening game drive) everyday giving them something different to the game drives. This also gave us a chance to tape a Nap while listening to the sounds of nature.

We had no issue with taking the kids on the game drives. James our guide was very good with them. The Kids took to him from the beginning and would direct questions to him regarding plants animals’ birds’ etc .which were always answered with patience. The vehicles were in excellent condition and a blanket was provided for each person. As we were a family of 5 we were the only ones in the vehicle. Water was also always at hand.

There are 3 game drives a day. 6 30 and 10 30 in the morning, 3 30.in the evening. We combined the morning game drives and carried breakfast with us. The breakfast box was better than expected. Having travelled before on countless occasions with the famous safari breakfast box this box was way above expectation. There was a sandwich as requested by us (cheese, chicken or beef.)Juice, water crisps 2 types of croissants and lots of fruits.

Although it was the wet season we saw loads of animals. Lots of lions on almost every game drive, 3 leopards on 3 different days close to the camp, the cheetah brothers ,a cheetah and it cub. One of the main highlights of our stay was a kill made by another cheetah right outside the camp. Right after the kill was made a hyena stole the kill. Since, guide/drivers are used to the area they seem to be knowing how to track the animals well

Lunch was always back at camp and there was always something different during the 6 days that we spent in the camp
    Dinner was a la cart with plenty of options to suit everyone with appetizer, soup and main course followed with dessert. Dessert was to die for. The food was good and well presented.

We had a really good time at the Mara intrepid camp and plan to go back sometime soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
    2  Thank nrmsf
    Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the 'Intrepids' and the only problem was that my wished we had stayed longer. From the moment you are met at the airstrip everything is perfect.
    The tents are very clean and cosy and meals superb, the staff are friendly and helpful and go that extra mile to make your stay special.
    However the 'Game Drives' were even better, with our guide Samson making sure that we saw everything we wanted including a spectacular wildebeest crossing and all the big cats.
    A wonderful holiday

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed September 30, 2010

Lovely rooms that were quite deluxe and very un-tent-like, but we had no view at all - not what we were led to expect by the camp's literature. Unimpressed as this was double the cost of other similar lodges across kenya. I know mara accommodation is generally more expensive than the other parks, but there were no added touches here to even try and justify the additional cost. We were also assailed by the smell of sewerage just before dinner and breakfast... so although the dinner was great (breakfast mediocre) we were not so hungry! So, its ok if mara is a once in a life time experience but if resident in kenya, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
    3  Thank JelloNairobi
    Reviewed September 29, 2010

After a frantic dash across Nairobi we arrived at Wilson airfield for our transfer to the Mara game reserve. We had been worried about our luggage as we were only allowed to take a small “soft” bag each (max 15kg) with us. Luckily there was the facility to leave bulkier luggage items at the airport for collection on our return. The flight to the camp was uneventful but quite an experience for us as it was the smallest single propeller passenger plane we had been on. The landing was onto a dirt air strip, which appeared to be in the middle of nowhere. We were met by our driver who transported us the short distance to the Intrepids camp.
    At the camp we were greeted with cold drinks and towels. The check in was very efficient. We were shown to our tent in time to unpack, unwind, briefly explore the site and then head out on the first game drive of the holiday. John was our driver and guide through the Mara and what an excellent job he did. He stayed with us for all of the game drives during our stay. We were in a small Landover, often just the two of us but occasionally we had to share with two others. This made for a very personalised trip through the Mara. During the course of all the game drives we saw just about everything (except for Rhino). John seemed to know just where to go and when to get the most out of the trips. He genuinely appeared to have an interest in us and wanted to make sure that he showed us everything we wanted. In total we went on 6 standard and 1 extended game drive during our 3 night stay.
    On our first game drive we spotted a lonely wildebeest. However on the last morning John drove us through a herd of about 3,000. He told us that because of the drought in the Serengeti the migration was starting early and the wildebeest were beginning to occupy the grasslands of the Mara. What a fantastic honking noise they make.
    Lovely tent. Situated amongst trees and with a view over the river. Peaceful surroundings and there was even the occasional but wonderful sound of Hippo’s during the night. The tent was well equipped, with wooden floors, flushing toilet, twin sinks and a hot shower. The 4 poster bed was comfortable and sported an attractive as well as functional mosquito net. The turn down service each night also provided hot water bottles to warm the bed. We were woken early each morning, by arrangement, with a flask of hot chocolate and biscuits which enabled us to set off for the early morning game drives. We were advised to keep the tent fully zipped up even if we were inside as it stopped the monkeys from getting in and causing a mess. Sunrise over the Mara is a spectacle not to be missed. Blankets were provided for the trip so there was no need to take additional warm clothing.
    On our first early morning game drive John had arranged for a picnic breakfast from the kitchens, which enabled us to stay out longer and so we then had an unforgettable breakfast under an acacia tree surrounded by topi and gazelle.
    The pool looked as if it would have been wonderful but unfortunately for us it was out of action as it was being repaired. Although we were not sure whether we would have had the time to use it.
    Lunch was always enjoyable with plenty of choice; some of the dishes were cooked in front of you so you were assured they were fresh. The eating area was situated in a clearing amongst trees. The waiters and cooks were all very friendly and efficient. It didn’t take them long to know our names.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
    2  Thank Tedmo
    Reviewed September 26, 2010

First the good: The rooms are pretty and nice but are close together and really close to the walkway so you hear people walking by and talking at night, even when they aren't talking loudly. The food is good. You sit in the restaurant at your own table per group. They do laundry and it came back promptly and clean. They have a pool that looked ok, but I didn't use it. The bar had good views over the river, but the restaurant didn't strangely. The wait staff were friendly. Many tents had veiws of the river but about 3 didn't, which I was stuck in. It is actually a lodge disguised as a tented camp with canvas walls (wood floors and tile in the bathroom, two sinks, fancy wood furniture, gift shop, bar, restaurant with real walls instead of tent, etc.). It is nice if this is what you're looking for, but if you want a real tented camp (like Porini or others) then you will be disappointed because this is really a lodge.

Now the ugly: The service is HORRIBLE. Before I booked and when I checked in they told me I had the option of all day game drives where I took out a packed breakfast and/or lunch - this excited me because I really wanted to see the river crossings. Then the first evening our guide and the other couple in my car say that the next day we'll do 3 short drives returning to the camp for every meal and a rest before the next drive. I say I want to stay out and he says since we're there 5 or 6 nights (both me and the other couple in my car) we can do long drives another day. (umm, whose holiday is this? shouldn't I decide when I do long drives and how many as the camp indicates you are able to do???) so I went to the reception and asked to be moved to another car (per advice on this forum :). They tell me "this is not possible, you have to arrange your drives with your guide". So I tell them that the other people want short drives and that I want to be in another car with people going out all day. Again they tell me, sorry you have to talk to your driver. So now I'm fuming and considering leaving to go to another camp but decide to give it another day. So the 2nd day (first full day) we go out on those 3 short drives. During the 2nd one, we almost see the crossing, but now it is time for lunch so we leave. I ask if we can come out early in the afternoon to see the crossing and the driver/guide says "not possible because we have 2 other people joining us". I say "well can't they ride with someone else this afternoon so we can stay out?" He says - not possible. Why not? Ridiculous that other guests days are shortened because someone new comes to camp - how does that make sense? Hire more cars if you need to! So now I am angry. I found out later that an hour after we left, there was a crossing. Yes I know they're unpredictable, etc but I wanted to stay out from the beginning but the Intrepids would not allow me to, not matter what I did so I missed it because of them. Then that afternoon I wanted to do laundry, so I left the form and clothes on my bed and went to reception to ask them to please let the laundry guy know to pick it up. The woman acted like I was an idiot and said the room steward will get it. I say "he has already made my bed so I don't think he's coming back soon" and she doesn't seem to understand why I want her to ask him to return. I am not difficult! That is not a complicated request, right? Finally the other guy standing there says "yes, we'll ask him to pick it up". Thanks, that was all I needed, jeez. Then later that night I ask the receptionist (note these are all different people I'm talking about, not just one bad person, all of them) about the balloon ride I'm taking the next morning and it was like pulling teeth to get answers from him!! He had zero interest in explaining the timing, etc to me. Isn't that his job to answer questions? It wasn't out of line for me to ask about the balloon ride I booked with them! Then he tells me they'll set up a wake up call, and I got NO wake up call the next morning. Thank goodness I always set my alarm just in case or I would have missed my $450 balloon ride becuase the camp's service is horrible. So that was the last straw and I called my travel agent (Eastern and Southern Safaris) to get me out of there and into Porini Lion for my remaining 4 nights, which he did. When I tried to check out, they made me talk to the receptionist, then the assistant manager and then the manager. I kept saying - "can I please just check out and leave, I don't want to explain anymore" and they wouldn't let me check out. Finally I get my travel agent on the phone and after a long conversation in Swahili they let me go. Only when I tried to check out did I actually get some service. They told me 'you can have your own car and driver, please don't leave'. To which I said "then why was this not possible on the first night when I asked" and they said "we didn't know". Are they crazy? I asked the same guy on night 1 for a different car and he said not possible, and now they're offering me my own car? And the kicker - the receptionist makes the mistake of telling me "there are lots of drivers/guides sitting around w/o guests so of course you can have your own car". Then why the heck was this "not possible" on night 1 when I asked to even just ride w/ some other people?! What the heck? HORRIBLE service. I didn't believe them when they promised me my own car and to confirm my disbelief - when I talked to the manager I said - I don't really want my own car because that will be boring and he says "oh no, you wouldn't get your own, you would have to ride with other people." So the receptionist's PROMISES were lies?? I have a feeling they'll say whatever you want to hear, but then not actually deliver becuase it isn't really possible. Do NOT stay here if you want service.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
    1  Thank Luv2Travel484
    Heritage_mgmt, General Manager at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mara Intrepids luxury tented camp.
    We sincerely apologize for the bad experiences you had during your stay. We are very concerned about that, and want to reassure you that this is not our norm. The issue has been taken very seriously and remedial measures undertaken to ensure it doesn’t recur.

As management and staff, we value greatly our esteemed clients' feedback as we strive to improve on our services. We sincerely hope that you will be able to visit with us in future, and fully enjoy our services – including full-day game drives, which are some of the best in the reserve.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Staff and Management of Mara Intrepids Camp