My sister and I went to Mara Intrepids to relax after some work elsewhere in Kenya. Both of us had had previous safari experiences in Africa. We had read about widespread flooding in Kenya the week prior, and the Mara area did experience some high water in the rivers and muddy open plains. However, in spite of the leftover wetness, the stay was wonderful. I think low season is my favorite because of the smaller numbers of game drive vehicles swarming the park and the quieter feel of the resort. As for the Intrepids Camp itself:
- The team approach to guest care (one driver, room steward, and dining captain assigned to the guest) is designed to maximize customer service and the sense that someone is responsible for my comfort in every aspect. You are pampered to the maximum in every way.
- The facilities (tents) are luxurious, clean, private-feeling and overlook the Talek River. We observed hippos, crocodiles and baboons from the deck. I can't guarantee you won't see mosquitos, but given the recent rains, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of bugs. The hot water bottle in bed each night is a nice touch.
- The food served at every meal is high-quality, excellently prepared and served. There is a good variety for a range of taste preferences, with vegetarian options that show some imagination.
- There are three game drives a day. Even in low season, we saw a massive array of wildlife, and our guide was an encyclopedia of information about every creature we saw. I was impressed by his respect for the animals--not crowding them, gunning the engine or adding to a swarm of vehicles. This seems to be counter to the way most of these game drives work. I appreciated it.
There is one suggestion I could make: The Kenya Ministry of Tourism levies a park fee of $70USD/day/person (the low-season rate) that is not included in the hotel rate. In fact, you have a very hard time finding this fee being advertised anywhere, yet it is expected upon arrival. The hotel will allow you to charge the fee to your hotel bill, but they charge an additional 5% for the privilege. It would be most appreciated if guests were advised of this in advance, so they could be prepared with the cash. For some, a surprise cost of this magnitude might cast a shadow on an otherwise excellent visit.
Bottom line: I highly recommend the Mara Intrepids Camp. I hope I can return one day.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Intrepids Club Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve