“Mara Intrepids Camp is truly top-quality for safari trips”

Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp
Portland, Oregon
“Mara Intrepids Camp is truly top-quality for safari trips”
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I went to Mara Intrepids to relax after some work elsewhere in Kenya. Both of us had had previous safari experiences in Africa. We had read about widespread flooding in Kenya the week prior, and the Mara area did experience some high water in the rivers and muddy open plains. However, in spite of the leftover wetness, the stay was wonderful. I think low season is my favorite because of the smaller numbers of game drive vehicles swarming the park and the quieter feel of the resort. As for the Intrepids Camp itself:
- The team approach to guest care (one driver, room steward, and dining captain assigned to the guest) is designed to maximize customer service and the sense that someone is responsible for my comfort in every aspect. You are pampered to the maximum in every way.
- The facilities (tents) are luxurious, clean, private-feeling and overlook the Talek River. We observed hippos, crocodiles and baboons from the deck. I can't guarantee you won't see mosquitos, but given the recent rains, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of bugs. The hot water bottle in bed each night is a nice touch.
- The food served at every meal is high-quality, excellently prepared and served. There is a good variety for a range of taste preferences, with vegetarian options that show some imagination.
- There are three game drives a day. Even in low season, we saw a massive array of wildlife, and our guide was an encyclopedia of information about every creature we saw. I was impressed by his respect for the animals--not crowding them, gunning the engine or adding to a swarm of vehicles. This seems to be counter to the way most of these game drives work. I appreciated it.

There is one suggestion I could make: The Kenya Ministry of Tourism levies a park fee of $70USD/day/person (the low-season rate) that is not included in the hotel rate. In fact, you have a very hard time finding this fee being advertised anywhere, yet it is expected upon arrival. The hotel will allow you to charge the fee to your hotel bill, but they charge an additional 5% for the privilege. It would be most appreciated if guests were advised of this in advance, so they could be prepared with the cash. For some, a surprise cost of this magnitude might cast a shadow on an otherwise excellent visit.

Bottom line: I highly recommend the Mara Intrepids Camp. I hope I can return one day.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sloanhoo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Hello Guest,
Thanks for taking time to post this review. It is truly appreciated. The Team will be honored by another visit from you.
Good Day.
The Mara Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
kent
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed at Mara Intrepid’s as part of our 6 day Safari in the Masai Mara also staying at Little Governor’s Camp and Governor’s IL Moran both of which I shall write separate reviews. We stayed in September 2011 and had yet another memorable Safari and a wonderful stay at Mara Intrepids.

On arrival we were greeted by Staff with a refreshing cold drink and a cold flannel. Had a chat with the Staff about the Camp and the times we were due to go out on Safari etc…. and were then shown to our Tent overlooking the River. The Tent was smaller than our previous one but still fantastic. The Shower area, Toilet and Wash area were all separate, there were 2 Single Beds in the bedroom with Mosquito Nets around them both and a large wardrobe for all our clothes. On the veranda of our Tent there were 2 seats so we could sit and watch the river for wildlife. Management had left a Bottle of Wine for us as our trip was part of our Anniversary celebrations.

Our usual day on Safari is to be woken early morning by a drink of your choice, Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Biscuit’s then just before 6.30am your Safari starts. Once in the Jeep there’s Blankets to wrap yourself in as it’s very cold first thing. Sunrise is approximately 6.45am. Your Safari lasts about 2 hours then back to Mara Intrepids for Breakfast.

Your next Game Drive starts around 10am and back out to see what you can spot, sleeping Lions, grazing Zebras, playful Elephant’s and even frisky little Wart Hogs… And I’m happy to say we finally saw The Big 5.

Back to your tent around 12pm for some time to relax on the veranda of your tent before lunch. After lunch you can either relax in your tent or have a walk around the grounds along the river. There are Guards on look out so you do feel safe.

The last Game Drive starts around 4pm and your see that the Lions are all up and getting ready to hunt. We have to go back to Camp around 6pm then its Shower and get ready for dinner. After dinner we went into the Bar and the atmosphere was great in there. We got to know Amy our Waitress from Lunch/Dinner time and chatted to her in the evening on and off. We didn’t manage to get any early nights here as we met Twins Aashit and Astish Patel who are regulars at Mara Intrepids and what amazing young men these guys are. Their knowledge of The Masai Mara was spot on and their Photography was like nothing we had ever seen before. We could have chatted to them all day every day. When we did finally leave the Bar the Guard walked us back to our Tent and once again this lodge did as many of the others you pull back the bed sheets to find a nice warm hot water bottle warming your bed.

The Staff were all amazing, the Manager, Guards, Guides, Waiters, (especially Amy) Chef. The food was amazing; you would think you were being served an A La Carte Meal. Drinks were reasonably priced to……and we did have a few……

We will go back Mara Intrepids as we loved the whole atmosphere of the lodge and have since stayed friends with Aashit and Astish......see you next year boys !

See you in 2013 Mara Intrepids

Room Tip: Try and ask for a Tent nearer the restaurant as the tents are a long walk from reception.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SnorkelQueen7
BeutifulKenya64, GOM at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for this wonderful review. Aby your Waitress will be copied and this will be posted on the "Wall of Fame and Shame. Fortunately for us we have more Fame than the latter.
We are glad you came.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This was an amazing trip. The tents were incredible, the food was fantastic, staff was professional and welcoming, and the game drives were the best I have ever had (and this was far from my first rodeo). We shared our game drives with another couple and there was plenty of room. We saw just about every animal including but the most notable of them all was witnessing three cheetahs chase and eat a gazelle. Joseph K was our guide and he was INCREDIBLE...I would HIGHLY recommend him. Best Safari ever and I will recommend it to everyone. Please note all my photos were taken on my phone.

Room Tip: If there are kids around, I would look for the tents not next to the family tents because out in nat...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to Mara Intrepids. We all look forward to seeing you again soon
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I recently visited the Mara Intrepids from the 1st of May to the 8th of May organised through virgin holidays in the UK.

When you first arrive you are not only greeted by a knowledgable driver but also by Edwin the manager of the Mara Intrepids. This was a great personal touch and it helps display the level of customer service I have never experienced in my years of travelling. When you arrive at the camp site you are warmly greeted by other members of the Intrepids staff and are given a health and safety and general information briefing before being escorted to your tent.

The accommodation at the Intrepids is first rate with bottled water delivered daily in order to brush your teeth. I was located in tent 7 which overlooked the Talek river. It was at this point I knew I was in the middle of the bush as there were baboons running around outside my tent. (for the record there are more scared of you, then you are of them). The Intrepids runs 2-3 game drives a day 6:30 - 8:30-9:00, 10:30 - 12:30 and 15:30 - 18:00 with the option of combining the first two game drives and having a packed breakfast out in the Mara. During my time at the Intrepids my game driver was Samual who is very knowledgable and experienced and knows where all the best spots are to see wildlife. Although my visit was during the wet season and we were limited to only two spots in the Mara due to the height of the river. We still did manage to see 3-4 prides of lions, the infamous Notch sons who happened to be feasting on a hippo they killed, a leopard, buffalo and plenty of elephants.

I enjoyed my downtime sitting in the Intrepids bar talking to both David's about the wonders of the Mara. I was also taken aback when Edwin joined me at the bar just to make sure my stay at the Intrepids was enjoyable. Tom who was my waiter during my visit was very helpful and by the end of my stay didn't even have to ask me what I wanted to eat and would make sure it was ready for my arrival.

All the tents are regularly visited by your cleaner who ensured that when you arrived back from your morning game drive the rooms were cleaned and when you returned from the afternoon drive you bed is turned down with a final visit whilst having dinner to leave a hot water bottle for you so your bed is nice and cozy for when you retire n the evening.

All meals prepared at the Intrepids are to an exceptionally high standard, even on some occasions when I asked if I could substitute something on the menu, this wasn't an issue. Many thanks to all the chefs at the Intrepids.

Whilst I have mentioned just a few staff members I would like to thank them all again as my stay wouldn't have been as enjoyable if they didn't go the extra mile. So thank you agin to Edwin, Samual, John and the David's and the rest of the Intrepids staff. I look forward to my return in hopefully November 2012 and April 2013

Chris

Room Tip: Take a great camera to photograph the wildlife
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are so Glad you came and had a nice time. the Mara Team remains totally committed to ensuring absolute Guest satisfaction and I am glad that was your experience.
We all look forward to seeing you again soon
Regards,
The Mara Team.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at the Intrepids at the end of March for 4 nights with our 2 children aged 13 & 9. We had never been on safari before and didn't know what to expect but WOW! The camp was very luxurious and just how we like to camp with four poster beds and en suites! You couldn't fault their attention to detail, with hot water bottles at night and a wake up call with hot chocolate, tea & coffee and gorgeous bisuits! Our safari guide, Michael, was excellent and we were the only group in our jeep. The animals we saw were just incredible, we saw lions with their cubs, a cheetah going for a kill and a leopard after a kill and so close too. The animals would just walk by the jeep minding their own business, fantastic! The camp food was great and service fantastic too. Joseph, the resident Chief and his team did a great job entertaining the children doing different activites around the camp, great for all ages including a teenager! All in all a fantastic camp and experience and one you would find hard to beat.

Room Tip: As a family of four we had a tent with two bedrooms with two en suites divided by a lounge area. A...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are glad you came, you saw and you enjoyed. We all look forward to seeing you again soon. Just that you know we run a scheme of rewarding the staff who are mentioned as having been exemplary.
In this case both Josesh and Michael qualify and will be entered in the draw.
The Mara Intrepids Family welcomes you back and wishes you all well.
The Mara Family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed here 2nd May for 3 days..and as a first time safari visitor i have to say that it exceeded all my expectations - not only were the animals truly amazing (and all apart from the Rhino and Cheetah) seen within a few km of the village BUT the staff were absolutely superb - the hospitality, warmth and attention to detail were of the highest quality and along with guides who will answer your every question as will as provide amazing background information and i cant wait to re-visit. The accomodation was unlike any other tent i have ever stayed in - great linen sheets, hot water and superb finishing touches such as refreashments brought to your tent prioir to the 6:30 a.m. game drive / hot water bottles put in before bed time - the food was varied, fresh and plentiful - service exceptional - i can't recommend it highly enough

Room Tip: friends stayed in room 12a and watched a Hippo climb out of the river...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The team here appreciates your having been around and look forward to having you again soon.
Regards,
The Mara Team.
oxford
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed here Nov 11 for a week. Great location 5 minutes from the landing strip and in the heart of the Masi Mari. Excellent service and lovely acommodation. Joseph who takes the kids out was a star. Highly recommended and one of the few places in the world i would return to.

Room Tip: Try and get a tent overlooking the river.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We acknowledge the posting of your response to the Tripadvisor forum. This is very much appreciated.
We have advised Joseph how happy you were with his level of Knowledge.
The Mara Team looks forward to seeing you again soon.
Good Day