“Fantastic place in beautiful mara”

Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Firstly don't be put off by the tented description . You have everything u have in a large hotel including wooden floors double poster beds and most importantly immaculate service and food , added to this the site is two minutes drive from the landing strip for planes ( no noise I should add)
The games which are three times a day are breath taking
We stayed 4 nights and saw and the big cats , wildebeest and zebra by the 10k and practically everything you could want. The drivers were also knowledgable and very helpful
The holiday was summed up by our two teenage kids as the best holiday ever

• Stayed: August 2011
There are newer reviews for Mara Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed at this hotel 5th-8th Aug 2011. We booked 3 nights 4 day safari holiday through Glorious Safaris, staying at the Mara Intrepids Full Board.

Cost – A little expensive, but worth every penny. We paid £2500 to Glorious Safaris which included 3 game drives a day plus all meals & the transfer flight from our Mombassa beach hotel. Shadrack is the owner of Glorious safaris (and also used to be the manger of Intrepids) & he runs a very slick operation. We were picked up from our hotel, flew to the airstrip in the Mara & greeted with a very warm welcome.

Camp appearance - we were immediately impressed. The entire camp is in keeping with its surroundings. The circular meeting point for the game drives doubles as the greeting area, wooden seats with thatched roof, where hot drinks & snacks are served before heading out on a drive. Stone pathways take you around the camp, which is beautiful with lots of greenery.

Tent 15 – I loved our tent! And believe me, I am no camper & would never, ever consider a camping holiday. This is a tent like no other. Wooden floors, amazing double bed, colonial style furniture including writing bureau & dressing table, a shower room which is better than any hotel room I’ve stayed in. I couldn’t fault it. Immaculately clean & the most inviting room I’ve ever walked into. A small single bed was setup next to the double for our son, with his own mosquito net, yet we still had plenty of room to walk around. It was so comfortable he would be asleep within moments of his head touching the pillow – they are divine pillows! Our tent was cleaned daily & no matter how messy we would leave it in our early morning scramble to get up & out for 6:30 am, we always came back to a spotless tent. Soaps & gels were always replenished daily. We paid a small deposit for a hairdrier which worked well. Our early morning 6am call would be arranged at dinner the night before by the waiter who would take your hot drinks order. 6am and the delightful girl who looked after us would wake us up with our tea/coffee/hot chocolate & biscuits. Nice! After our evening drive we would return to find the lights turned on, covers turned down & the mosquito nets in place, then she would arrive with hot water bottles & place them under the sheets for us. Again, nice! We would lay in bed listening to the animals passing the camp, trying to guess what they were & waiting for that distinctive lion roar.

The Food – We never ate breakfast in the camp because we took a packed breakfast with us each day (our driver would arrange that) so I can’t comment on breakfast, although the boxes were very nice! Lunch was buffet style & we really enjoyed the food. I had become ill from our beach hotel before arriving (Diani Sea Resort for which I’ve done a separate review of only 2*) so wasn’t able to take full advantage of the quicine, however my partner & son both rated it highly. My absence at meals was noted by staff & the manager very kindly offered to have their nurse see me. I did make it to one evening meal & the service & food was excellent. The chef came over to introduce himself as did the deputy manger, both very pleasant & a joy to talk with.

Pool – We didn’t actually use the pool for no other reason than we just didn’t have time! It’s small but looked clean & had we stayed for longer I’m sure we would have taken full advantage of it.

Game Drives!! – The most incredible experience, our long-awaited trip-of-a-lifetime did not disappoint & easily exceeded our expectations. We were allocated a driver for the duration of our stay, a very knowledgeable & considerate man named Sammy. He really did make the holiday for us. We were sharing the jeep with a lovely American family so Sammy had our 6 year old son sit in the front with him, which he absolutely loved. He would put a blanket over him whenever he got tired & needed to sleep, essentially a make-shift tent & always made sure he never banged his head when dozing. The blanket also served as a DS den, which after several hours of driving, no matter what animals are there, an electronic entertainment device is a good backup. A happy child makes for a happy safari! And boy where we happy. Sammy has amazing knowledge of the mara. He seemed to be able to predict the actions & movements of the animals & got us into the perfect position for taking our photo shots. As photographers he never rushed us & would always position the jeep in the right angle to get the best light on the animals, only moving on when we had all the shots we wanted. I only hope our photos do his great knowledge justice. We were so fortunate to see the big 5 & a lot more. Glorious Safari’s had provided us with tick sheets which came in handy & I’m sure we’ll recover them when we’ve unpacked properly. We seen lions, elephant, buffalo, leopard, rhino, cheetah, giraffe, hippo, wildebeest, zebra, crocs, waterhog, black-back jackal, vulture, marabou stork, ostrich, eagle, thomson gazelle, Dick Dick, topi & other various antelope. We even saw 2 leopards together on the last day which is quite a sight. Sammy would guide & plan the earlier drives but as we became more accustomed to them he encouraged us to think about what we really hoped to see that day & would then head off making it his mission to deliver. He never failed us, and even when we thought there was nothing more he could possibly surprise us with, he did!

Excursions – We paid around £30 to visit a masai village & although it was interesting to see how they lived, I didn’t come away having enjoyed the experience. I think if we had gone to a village that didn’t receive so many tourists then I would have come away with a more realistic impression of their lives. It all seemed a little geared toward the tourist. Our village guide came across as a little rude & impatient at not having our full attention when we tried to photograph our son being shown how to make fire & the market at the back of the village I just found to be ridiculous. We wanted to make some purchases as a gesture, not because we wanted what they were selling. We nearly collapsed when they asked for 18,000 shillings £130! We tried to barter but the best we could get them down to was £40 for a belt which I could buy identical at the camp for £10. We left in the end not buying anything as I’m not inclined to help people that think I’m some kind of fool. I think the village needs to be made aware that they could sell a lot more tourist trinkets if they have a better understanding of supply & demand. But they are not poor people so I’m sure they’ll do just fine without the tourist purchases, they have over 500 cattle which makes them a very wealthy village indeed! We bought our souvenirs from the camp shop at a much better price & if I’m honest better quality too.

Kids Adventure Club – What can I say, our son thought this was just the coolest club ever. It runs for an hour a day, finishing just before you set off for the last game drive. He was taught by the ‘warrior’ how to make a bow & arrow & how to throw a spear. This simple little bow & arrow gives him more pleasure than all his other toys put together.

Summary – I would return to the Mara Intrepids in a heartbeat. I loved the camp, the drives, the people we met; it was the perfect safari holiday! Thank you :-D

1  Thank safarichick_mara
Reviewed August 18, 2011

fantastic service and food, tents unbelievable, saw the big 5 in one day with an excellent driver. Would love to come back one day.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We've just returned from spending the most wonderful 4 days here in a family tent. Our kids (7 and 11) both loved this place and we all had a fantastic time from the minute we landed at the air strip (only 5 minutes from camp) till we sadly had to leave 4 days later. We couldn't have asked for anything better. Tents were excellent, food was wonderful, service fantastic and we are already planning our next trip back. Michael our game driver was fantastic and i think we will always remember with great fondness our picnic breakfasts!! The masai mara was just full of game and we saw everything in large numbers except the elusive rhino but what fun we had trying to find it!

1  Thank tracy w
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have stayed at Mara Intrepids in Mid August for 4 nights, and the experience was just amazing. The camp is located along side of the Talek river, which gives it a huge advantage to see animals such as leopards, cheetahs and lions, along with all kinds of different animals.
From our room balcony, we were able to see Waterbuck, bush buck and other animals visit the river. (the camp itself is on the other side of the river with electric fence, so it is safe too). Also in the dining area, we have occasional visitors such as bushbabies!!
We were so blessed with our guide Michael, who was extremely knowledgeable, experienced and had a great personality. Thanks to Michael, we were able to see 3 wildebeest crossings, Leopards everyday (twice with a mom & a cub), Cheetahs & Lions every day (and hunting too!), endangered black Rhinos twice!! and other animals such as giraffes, elephants, mangoos, lots of hippos, zebras etc. etc. We were especially impressed with Michael's quick decision making, so that not only we got to see those animals but saw it in a best spot!
About the camp, the room was extremely clean, nice and comfortable. Even if it is a “tent camp”, I did not see a single insect in my room.
All the staffs there were very nice & friendly. And we were especially lucky to have John to help us in the dining area. His service was that of a 5 star hotel! Not only he was very cheerful, he remembered every little details about us, what we like to order for drinks, what we did the day before, and especially our names. (Japanese names are very difficult to remember sometimes!)
Breakfast & Lunch, we had good variety of food, for dinner it was A la carte style. The only minor thing was the dinner, which sometimes the food wasn’t warm, etc. But considering the great experience we had a this camp, this was a very very minor thing, and I would definitely recommend this place for everybody! There were many kids in the camp who seemed to enjoy their activities, also good for couples, and families.
If I ever get a chance to come back to Masai Mara, I will definitely come back to Mara Intrepids.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed in the family tent and it was just wonderful. Our children couldn't get over the luxury of the rooms, and also the excitement of being woken in the middle of the night by hippos!
Our driver Dixon was amazing and found us everything except rhinos, but it wasn't for lack of trying. We saw lions eating a hippo, Olive from 'The Big Cat Diaries', a cheetah eating its kill, to name just a few things. The Mara truly is full of wildlife.
Although the food wasn't amazing I think you have to remember you are in the middle of nowhere, and so they did a pretty good job overall. The staff were attentive and friendly all the time.
All in all the experience was wonderful and 3 days none of us shall forget. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The hotel was very nice, the location was great, next to the river and near to the airport. The room was very comfortable and the personel was excellent, very polite and kind. Also, there was a great room service.Thanks to our particular guide, called Dixon, we could get to see very well many animals and enjoy very much the trip. It was fantastic! We will always keep great memories from that trip. We will remember it from Spain, our country.