The rooms were spectacular and had a viewing area and small deck within your room overlooking the river. There are a few animals that live on the property permanently, such as the warthogs. The hotel is high up on a mountain so you won't see a lot of wildlife up close and personal. The beds were very comfortable; the bathrooms were average in size but manageable. Everything was very clean, and staff was friendly and efficient. I admit that I was very disappointed in Maasai Mara, however. I expected to see far more animals, and there were animals, but nothing like what I've seen in South Africa. Also, your sightings tend to be very far away so taking pictures is difficult. There are exceptions of course; zebra frequently walk down the driving roads! So it was just "average" in terms of animal viewing. One definite negative is the food: it is 90% geared to Indian food because that's who tends to stay here, and what little continental food was available was very overcooked. Some Japanese guests brought their own food in tins (apparently this is common) and eat it in the dining room. I cannot begin to describe the smell, other than you immediately became nauseous upon entering the room. I'm really not exaggerating on the smell. Other guests and staff were also complaining; the staff opened up every window but it just didn't move that terrible terrible smell. I was not the only one who opted to come back later after the tinned food had been removed and the place had aired out. But it was just to get a salad or something; the rest of the food was frankly not edible. Even the salad wasn't that great (you make your own from very basic ingredients). Normally I would rate the facility an Average 3-star, but the room was lovely and fortunately I never got that smell out of my nose so I wasn't hungry anyway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge, set on a saddle of a hill, overlooks the 1,800 square km of rolling plains at an altitude of 1625 meters at the Masai Mara Triangle, one of the world's richest wildlife sanctuaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Mara Serena Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Serena Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve