“All fantastic except food”

Mara Serena Safari Lodge
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The rooms were spectacular and had a viewing area and small deck within your room overlooking the river. There are a few animals that live on the property permanently, such as the warthogs. The hotel is high up on a mountain so you won't see a lot of wildlife up close and personal. The beds were very comfortable; the bathrooms were average in size but manageable. Everything was very clean, and staff was friendly and efficient. I admit that I was very disappointed in Maasai Mara, however. I expected to see far more animals, and there were animals, but nothing like what I've seen in South Africa. Also, your sightings tend to be very far away so taking pictures is difficult. There are exceptions of course; zebra frequently walk down the driving roads! So it was just "average" in terms of animal viewing. One definite negative is the food: it is 90% geared to Indian food because that's who tends to stay here, and what little continental food was available was very overcooked. Some Japanese guests brought their own food in tins (apparently this is common) and eat it in the dining room. I cannot begin to describe the smell, other than you immediately became nauseous upon entering the room. I'm really not exaggerating on the smell. Other guests and staff were also complaining; the staff opened up every window but it just didn't move that terrible terrible smell. I was not the only one who opted to come back later after the tinned food had been removed and the place had aired out. But it was just to get a salad or something; the rest of the food was frankly not edible. Even the salad wasn't that great (you make your own from very basic ingredients). Normally I would rate the facility an Average 3-star, but the room was lovely and fortunately I never got that smell out of my nose so I wasn't hungry anyway.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 25, 2014

One of the best properties which is inside the Masai Mara National Reserve. It is located on a slightly higher ground as a result the views from the rooms as well as the reserve is breathtaking. I have seen one of the most beautiful sunsets ever here. In fact the rooms are built in such a way that one doesn't obstruct the views of the other. Other than the game rides twice a day they also organize a lot of internal activities to keep you occupied in the evenings. The F&B is extraordinary and staff extremely warm and hospitable. Only the rooms were slightly smaller in size compared to a regular resort but in the middle of the reserve you would like to spend most of your time outside it. I would recommend Mara Serena Lodge highly to tourists who are planning to visit Masai Mara.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SubhrajyotiC
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We loved everything about our stay at the Mara Serena Safari Lodge except for the MOST IMPORTANT thing a hotel needs to have; a comfortable bed! The BEDS were TOO HARD. The location, staff, food, lodge, accommodations were all top notch until you plopped down on the tough bed! I folded the down stuffed comforter three times then doubled it over and slept on top of it to try to get some softness under me. My husband who likes a good hard bed even complained.
I hate to sound negative because I loved everything else about this facility but when riding in safari cars all day a soft, comfortable bed is a necessity for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was my first trip to Maasai Mara. What a spectacular place! The people were so warm and friendly, the view from our room was out of this world..the food was so fresh and tasty. The sunset game drive was my all-time high. I will never forget this experience, and I can't wait to do it again and again!! Thanks luv, had a fantastic time!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Our trip to Kenya was an unforgettable experience- and Mara Serena made it even more so. After a tiring 100km rocky road to Maasai Mara, everyone was exhausted and desperate to stretch their feet. When we first entered the OLOOLOLO GATE, gazelles, impalas, monkeys and zebras welcomed us- and this gave us a feeling that Maasai Mara wouldn't leave us disappointed! The 8 of us stepped into the cute lodge- which was seemingly small from the outside. But we were outrightly mistaken! Mara Serena had us in a daze- we were awestruck! From the chandelier to the walls- it looked like we were in a huge Maasai house! Not only was this lodge luxurious and fancy, but was also primitive and "African" at the same time. When we climbed down the neverending staircase to our cottage-room, we got even more excited with the cute setup, a nice balcony and a special mention to the typical Maasai mirror! The view outside our room was in every way picturesque.The meals there were great and there was a good variety of African dishes to taste from. You will be lucky if Maasais come to the hotel at night and sing and dance and entertain you.
All the staff- from the receptionists to the housekeeping greeted us with a smile and a cheery "Jambo"! It was only when we went for our game drives we realised that Serena was on a hillock. Don't worry if you think that a lion will come into the hotel at night and scare you- they have adequate security and precautions for that! So, Mara Serena is THE place for luxury and an African feel at the same time!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Divya M
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Spectacular location, warm friendly staff, delicious food and the game drives...OMG! I am Kenyan, and this first-time experience at the Mara makes me wanna go back again and again!! Thanks love for the amazing time!

Room Tip: All rooms have a wonderful view overlooking the Mara River
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed here for 03Nights at our final lodge in Kenya at low season.
Drove through from gate close by even takes time to get there while we were able to enjoy wild life & spotted a leopard in the rain on the way! Kind of very lucky!

Plenty of Staffs are around to help & reception staff has a very cute smile & friendly to accommodate with most welcome attitude made us relax when we arrived. Warm towels with Tropical welcome juice been served. We liked view from outside of Main lobby empty area of Savannah & great high ceiling lobby!

For our assigned room is bit of far from main reception area with full view of Savannah, there were always one of warthog eating glasses in front of our room, view with Giraffes/zebras/gazzeles etc.

Decoration of interior are very African & cozy, there is one fan we needed always at our stay... amenity as well at Bath room Shower gel/Shampoos/body lotions/insects protector are 5* standard.

Breakfast selection are huge, Lunch with Buffet, Dinner with Live cooking chef from Masai are very friendly to talk to, we were happy to see them at each time of meal! I loved your live cooking style & all food are good, wished to stay longer.

Thank you so much for the hospitality & will be back in one day:)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends