I traveled with my 4 year old daughter to Kenya for a vacation and our stay at the Mara Serena was by far the highlight of our trip. This is the ideal place for a former backpacker, now mother to go on vacation with her child!! She was likely the youngest person while we were there, and was absolutely doted on! The entire staff is fantastic! In particular Dan, the assistant manager, and Sammy and Nicholas, both of whom took us on game drives, were wonderful. Dan made a point to ensure we were enjoying our stay, chatting with us whenever we saw him. After our Nairobi hotel caused us to miss our flight to the Mara Serena airstrip, Dan arranged to have us picked up at a nearby airstrip by Sammy, a guide, who didn't just pick us up and take us to the hotel. He took us on a fantastic game drive! We saw elephants, lions, hyenas, hippos, zebras... I can't even name all the animals! They made what would otherwise have been a very frustrating day WONDERFUL.
Later, Nicholas, another guide, also took us on fantastic game drives. Each time, we went out by ourselves (so much easier with a four year old!) and it was unbelievable. Nicholas was absolutely determined to find us the best animal sightings possible, taking us to places where we would be the only people to see lions among zebras, elephants, giraffes... A field of animals! It is clear that the Mara Serena guides are proud of what they do, and do an excellent job.
The location of the hotel is also remarkable. One night, we had a hippo right outside our room for about a half an hour (okay, I was admittedly frightened and grateful my daughter was sleeping, but now it's a fantastic story!). We had animals stroll by while just sitting there. Baboons greeted us at our door one day (I'm not sure who was more surprised - us or them!). The rooms are clean - the showers were better than at the hotel in Nairobi for water pressure! Now, you can admittedly hear if people are loud in neighbouring rooms, but other than the hippo just outside, I never heard a peep after 10pm - everyone was too excited about what awaited the next day to stay up late! The food was excellent (although I wish I would have taken them up on the earlier dinner available for children earlier in our stay - 730 was a little late for my daughter to eat).
My daughter would tell you the highlight was when the lion growled at her (she clapped - a no no in the park, but she was so excited - and certainly stopped in a hurry!) and the hippo breakfast picnic. I would say the game drives and our REMARKABLE trip to a Masai village were the highlights for me.
I highly recommend you visit the Mara Serena Hotel - you will love it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge, set on a saddle of a hill, overlooks the 1,800 square km of rolling plains at an altitude of 1625 meters at the Masai Mara Triangle, one of the world's richest wildlife sanctuaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mara Serena Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Serena Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve