“Outstanding in every way”

Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara
Miami, Florida
“Outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was my fifth trip to masai mara but my first time at Olare mara kempinski. The experience was simply outstanding. Even after seeing the pictures on the website, I did not expect the tents to be so gorgeous. They are as nice as they look in the pictures, no help from photo shop. Since I love the feeling of being out there in the wild, my only concern initially was that this camp will be too luxurious and not wild enough. But the tents are so well placed and are distant from each other that we would constantly see animals right from the deck. From vervet monkeys, water bucks to dik diks and even a giraffe right outside. The service was impeccable. The room service was fast and the food is unbelievable. The staff is well trained and efficient ,yet friendly and welcoming. Special thanks to Abigail, Lilian, Felix, and Julian for their warm smiles and great service. The manager, Fairman, made sure every request we made was attended to. The massages were excellent and I can't wait to visit again. The wifi service was great by the dining area and breakfast was always extra yummy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Renu D,

Thank you taking the time to write a review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We do appreciate your feedback.
The Camp Manager, Fairman and I are delighted to read that you found the experience to be outstanding at the resort in every way.
The great thing about such a beautiful location and resort is that they naturally make a picture look so wonderful and do live up to expectations for when a guest does visit.
I am happy to also note that you had a pleasant viewing experience of the animals from the comfort of your own tent.
I will definitely pass on your thanks to the team and we do hope that you will return once again to experience yet another magical safari.

Manish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

the camp location in the Olare conservancy means you are away from the crowds and hardly see another vehicle in this area yet it is teaming with wildlife . We had some wonderul sightings during our safari game drives.
The staff were all very helpful and the food was a very good standard with good choice. .
The swimming pool is a fair size for a refreshing dip and it was nice to relax on the loungers around the pool. We had 3 nights so didn;t need to rush around we could pace ourselves and had time to relax at the camp.
The tents are huge and have a lounge area and terrace outside, there was not much view from our tent a glimpse of the river between the bushes.
Gold star to the interior designer who added the brilliant reading lights in the headboard, this is something other places we stayed did not have for reading in bed.
tip: make sure you let them escort you to & from your tent at night , we almost bumped into a hippo wandering along the path which isn't a good idea !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear safaribird,
Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
Fairman, our Camp Manager and I are pleased to note that you had a very comfortable stay at the resort and enjoyed the location of the property, which is in the Olare Orok Conservancy.
The conservancy does provide a very unique safari experience, enabling guests to enjoy ‘almost private’ viewings of the special resident animals.
Thank you for the Gold Star on the reading lights in the headboard – glad to note you were able to read before bedtime.
I will pass on your kind words onto my colleagues at the resort.
We do hope that you will return to stay with us to enjoy yet another safari in Kempinski style.
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

A magical experience indeed! The accommodations are amazing we enjoyed our stay immensely. From the food to the decor it was picture perfect. The luxurious tents are amazingly equipped for a very comfortable stay.
The biggest asset is the staff. Olare Mara Kempinski is managed by a great team of warm, genuinely hospitable folks. Fairman, Esther, John, Agnes, Phillip, Lydia, and so many incredible individuals made our trip a truly memorable experience we will cherish.
Make this your last stop because every other experience will pale in comparison. Thank you to each one of you. See you very soon. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Gayatri K,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We appreciate your feedback.
Fairman, Our Camp Manager and I are delighted to read that you had a magical experience at the resort. Going on Safari does feel like life out of a fairy tale book.
Thank you for the lovely comments regarding my colleagues, who believe in ensuring that our guests have the most memorable moments of their journey to the special land of the Maa (Maasai), and really glad to read that you will cherish these.
We do look forward to having you back with us in the near future.
Best Wishes
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just returned from our four days stay. It was an excellent experience, luxurious tents (ours even with private pool), delicious food, very friendly staff, they did everything to make us feel comfortable and our honeymoon unforgettable. The animals are just outside the tent, we could see hippos bathing in the river from our balcony. Thanks to the excellent guide Raphael, we saw all Big 5, four different leopards in 4 days and of course many other animals. He also told us very much about animals and wildlife and the life in Kenia. Thank you so much!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear FIAnneK,
Thank you so much for your review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
On behalf of our Camp Manager, Fairman, and I we are delighted to read you had a perfect honeymoon in the Mara.
The views of the Hippos in the River from our honeymoon suite are a very unique treat, and I am sure what made it even more special is that you saw them at bath time.
I will let Raphael know that you were grateful in regard to the wildlife viewing experiences and the stories that accompanied.
We do hope that you will return to stay with us and enjoy the magic of the Mara once again.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two nights recently following recommendations by a friend. This was my fourth visit to the Mara area and I haboured doubts about whether this was a good option for a solo traveller. These were laid to rest immediately I got picked up from the air strip.

The accommodation must be the most comfortable tent ever. Their tents are spacious, well lit and the only reminder that you are staying in a tent is the flapping on a windy night. They have a proper cooling swimming pool after a hot day and offer massage services, which to my regret I did not manage to use.

The game drives were quite something. They have enough vehicles to ensure privacy such that even though I was a solo traveller I had a vehicle and the same guide assigned to me throughout my stay. This ensures that each excursion is tailored to suit my personal experience so far. So if we have already seen several prides of lions in previous drives, we then spend time looking for the more elusive game. I found this quite special.

Still, what made my stay most memorable is the team at Olare Mara. From the aptly named Fairman who was in charge, chirpy Esther and shy Simon making sure I got settled in well and had a comfortable stay.
My guide Raphael "Mara-pedia" who taught me why hyena poop is white and how to distinguish a female giraffe from a male one. The other guides Bernard and Philip showing team spirit by alerting us to ensure I got to see the lonely"wa chini" cheetah and the elusive "wa juu" leopard. David for ensuring I didn't get attacked by a "retired general" buffalo while on the bush walk.
Then there are the meals. David Too, a chef like no other. My tummy is glad you put your talent to good use. Abigael, Julius, Agnes, Felix and John Muchiri (who entertained me always and owes me half a story), Victor and Simon the gardener (take care of my tree please), the maasai warriors (whether dancing in welcome or walking me safely to my tent-home-away-from-home), and everyone working tirelessly in the background to ensure all guests are happy.
This is a place I will visit again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mkenya Msafiri O
Banff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

From the driver/guides to the accommodation, from the food to the lodge staff, this Camp is spectacular. We stayed for 2 nights in June and could have stayed forever. The camp is located in the heart of the conservancy with animals on the perimeter of the property. The sounds of the wildebeest and the hippo fill the air each night. The spacious tented accommodation is superb with comfortable furniture and killer views. Each and every staff member was top-notch - personable, knowledgable, professional and delightful. The food in the restaurant was really great, with a selection of entrees at each meal. Our game drives were wonderful, with our driver/guide working closely with our Micato guide to ensure we saw the great diversity of animals in the conservancy. I would return in a heartbeat, and would highly recommend this Camp to anyone planning a visit to the Maasai Mara.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear MountainGirlHikes,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
The team at the camp and I are very happy to read that you had an absolutely spectacular stay at the camp.
Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara is a property which is very close to my heart – and I am glad to read that you would also choose to return in a flash.
Look forward to seeing you soon.
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

From the arrival at the airstrip, safely delivered by Safarilink from Wilson Airport, to the return flight, this turned out to be an extraordinary experience.
Olare Mara's 'Suites under Canvas' convinced with well thought out furnishings, including an armchair plus foot rest facing the main door, which, when open, allows for a view second to none - unless one opts for the sunbeds which are available on the large terrace outside the tent. Like in all other Kempinski properties, I stayed in two during the preceding 10 days, the beds are superbly comfortable, mattresses and in particular the pillows, sadly wasted on an insomniac like me. Unlike in many other similar camps I stayed before, the addition of a wireless phone connection with the reception made a lot of difference, as orders for room service can be made at the push of a button while in turn the guides can call when the vehicle for the game drive is ready, when they are set to take guests for a walk in the park or when they have loaded the goodies for the sundowner in the 4x4 - one then simply strolls towards the parking, gets into the car and hey presto is on the way without waiting.
On arrival are guests greeted by Masai morans performing a welcome ceremony which is then followed by scented iced towels and a glass of juice to wash down the dust of the drive from the airstrip. Towering over the entrance is the library, a raised room providing a superb view towards the plains of the Conservancy and at sunset some of those spectacular sights of the sun dropping towards the horizon, touching and in literally seconds then vanishing, leaving that red golden glow linger for a while before night sets in. At night does the scope come in handy to star gaze a little but even the view up into the night sky was giving the full spectrum of a star studded sky with no light interference, bringing them literally into touching distance (or so it felt)
The food, always offering a choice of main courses, was delicious and presented as if we were at the Kempinski in Nairobi, classy classy and no question here as to the pedigree of the name.
Times to eat were basically my own, as long as I stayed inside the main meal windows, room service is possible but what one misses when not on the table and overhearing the drama and excitement others had while on game drive - so better join the sundowners, aperitifs and meals on a communal basis, when friends can be made with ease, stories both told and listened to.
The game drives and walks, conducted by fully qualified guides, brought the game within touching distance, well proverbially speaking, with excellent sightings of cheetahs and lions, birds and plains game in a perfect mix.
Of course we had our very own lioness in the camp who had given birth under tent number two and jealously guarded her maternity home and her two cubs, something which perhaps happens once in a blue moon but it had to be at a Kempinski, as even this lioness would not settle for anything less! 5 star truly ... pool included but not used but for a backdrop of pictures. Two nights are NOT enough, that is the lesson I took back with me and their staff, a fabulously wonderful lot, will sure see me back one day soon.

Room Tip: Each tent has its own charm in the different setting and location and I had a choice and opted for t...