“Ultimate Safari Holiday in Tented Camp” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara

Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara
“Ultimate Safari Holiday in Tented Camp”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

My Own opinion is that Olare Mara Kempinski is in truly beautiful ,stylish and magnificent natural surroundings, complimented by very efficient camp Manager Geoffery Mulla and his attentive staff who all went out of their way to cater and please our group of 16 guests.
Game Drives, Mara river migration, Balloon Safari were all memorable and so was the Stay at the Camp perfect in every way.
Rajni & Kiran

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are extremely pleased to hear that your group of 16 guests enjoyed the magic of the Mara and the beautiful Kempinski property, Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, located in the Olare Orok Conservancy.

Gald to also note that you enjoyed the overall safari experience of game drives, Mara River migration, Ballon Safari. These memories can be compared to no other.

Look forward to having you stay with us once again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
Mandurah,WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

They call it a tent. I call it a house with some canvas. The 'standard' rooms are huge, with living room, a bed big enough for multiple families (I am 6 feet tall and with my toes hanging over one side, I couldn't reach the other side with outstretched arms), desk, other sitting chairs, an inside and outside shower, bath, double vanities, a large deck with outside loungers to view game grazing across the creek, or watch the hippoes wandering through your yard at night. The main buildings have a very comfortable lounge, restaurant, library, pool, bar, outside lawn dining by the creek. The food was superb, the staff extremely efficient. The welcoming tree tomato drink was delicious. Absolutely could not fault the facilities or staff. We had David as our driver and guide. He showed us the migration animals, river crossing, fantastic close up encounters with the local lion prides and resident leopard. I especially enjoyed the walking safari, although the wildebeest, zebra and gazelles kept a wary distance. The highlight was the ballon safari, despite the 4.15 am wakeup. We stayed at up-market lodges, hotels and tent camps throughout and this was the best. I'm not sure of the value rating as we paid for the trip as a whole so cannot say what the cost was. The non-included 'premium' drinks are expensive by anyone's standard, but their standard drinks are prefectly palatable.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was the furthest from the main building. Advantage was the hippos nearby, plus t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review on your stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
My team and I are happy to note that you had an extremely adventurous holiday, with the walking safari, balloon safari and game drives. These will be memories forever. We are also pleased to note that you were happy wih your stay in our spacious tents, which are 80 sqm and the honeymoon suite - 120 sqm.
Glad to also hear that you enjoyed the various outdoor dining options at the resort and were pleased with the food and beverage options.
We will pass on your compliments to our colleagues in the Mara regarding the overall service experience and hope to have you back with us again in the near future.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

It was totally different experience in this hotel. The hotel is in middle of conservatory and very close to nature and animals. The tent was trully amazing. Most of all, the entire staff of this hotel was excellent. Manager Geoffrey was extremly helpful. Food and drinks were very high qulity. Every one in the hotel took care of our entire group very well. We highly recommand this hotel to every one. It is once in life time experience.
Vina and Ramesh

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara and selecting the resort for your stay in the Masai Mara. Olare Orok Conservancy is a very precious location.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the luxury of the tent, and were happy with the food and beverage options and service.

We will pass on your compliments to the team in the Mara.

At Kempinski it's about bringing a story to life. Look forward to having the opportunity to host you at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara once again in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just returned from Africa. Stayed at four upscale camps including Olare Mara Kempinski. Location excellent for game viewing including cats. Clean large permanent tents. People warm and friendly. Service without parallel. Food tasty and beautifully presented. Driver guide knowledgeable and excellent spotter. Well managed. Don't miss it if you are going to the Mara.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are pleased to read about all your positive comments regarding your experience. Look forward to having you stay with us once again in the near future.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was fortunately privileged to stay at the Olare Mara Kempinski due to overbooking at another hotel/camp in the Masai mara ( thank god). My experience was par excellence. Right from the pick up at the air strip, pre completed check in, delightful Masai dance welcome to an all inclusive 7 star experience.
Camp manager Geoffrey Mulwa was very helpful in our safari experience and always around to assist in all aspects. Esther , the assistant manager was on top of everything and together this team made our already great experience, a once in a life time memory.
The entire team from the cooks, the attendants, the watch men, the bartenders were all very attentive to our needs and made us feel very pampered. Kudos to Olare Mara Kempinski!

Room Tip: The resort is a tent resort in the Mara, so pick a room closer to the reception and dining/bar area...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the feedback on your experience at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara and we are delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us.
The fact that you still remember the names of our colleagues really does indicate how much you valued your experience, we will most definitely transmit your positive feedback to them.

We look forward to having you back with us in the near future, if we can be of any support with your reservation, please let us know.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

In comparison to other African camps I visited, my safari experience at Olare Mara is by far the best. The service was excellent and filled with personal touches. All our meals were delicious and thoughtfully prepared using fresh, local ingredients, complete with vegetarian options too. The chef even came out to personally greet us at every meal. The manager was gracious, taking time to get to know us before suggesting activities that suit our tastes and interests. The staff made us feel welcome and well cared for. Our driver and guide were extremely knowledgeable about the wildlife and surroundings, sharing interesting anecdotes and trivia to remember them by.

Olare Mara is situated in the Olare Orok Conservancy, which limits human traffic. This allowed us to linger and observe the animals interacting in their natural environment without a crush of cars and noisy tourists spooking them away. We haven’t even checked into our camp yet and I already had my first wildlife encounter! On our way to camp, I saw a baby leopard up a tree, clinging to a dead antelope for dear life as it hung precariously on a branch above our heads. As the antelope came crashing down, I saw the look of despair on the baby leopard's face and felt as if the pages of National Geographic were unfolding and coming to life in front of me. Upon arriving at camp, we were greeted by a group of tall Maasai warriors jumping three feet in the air to the rhythm of a djembe drum performing a courtship dance. According to tradition, the warrior who jumps the highest gets the bride. Unfortunately there were no brides to be had that day, but they welcomed us with big smiles anyway.

After a delightful lunch of local bread, refreshing gazpacho, shrimp pasta and fruit meringue, we returned to the same tree and saw the mother leopard (who already returned the antelope on a higher branch) grooming her naughty baby. I saw an elephant funeral too, and the circle of life in full effect, as a pride of lions and a couple of vultures watched the other elephants walk away from their deceased comrade from a careful distance, anticipating their next meal. As I watched the beautiful sunset over the plains, with a spicy samosa in hand (thoughtfully provided by our guide), I could hardly believe my luck, and marveled at the fact that my Olare Mara experience had just begun.

At night, during our delicious dinner of salad, veggie kabobs and chocolate mousse, we could hear the lions nearby roaring as they enjoyed their dinner too. Getting escorted to my tent by a Masai warrior after dinner was a surreal experience. When I asked what he used to protect himself from the local lions as he walked back to his village, he held up a short wooden club and said, “This is all I need”.

To call it a tent would not do our lodging justice. It was spacious and luxurious, with shiny wooden floors, elegant furniture and touches of African charm. I didn’t even mind not having a TV, as the chattering monkeys, snorting hippos and roaring lions just outside our tent were enough to keep me entertained! The bathroom’s rain shower washed away the dust I accumulated from our safari drive. I could’ve also soaked in the above-ground tub or taken an outdoor shower but I just wasn’t comfortable bathing next to a herd of hippos nearby! After our cool nighttime game drive, our cozy beds greeted us, made warm by the thoughtfully placed water bottle beneath the blankets. The monkeys chattered above our glamorous tent as I drifted off to sleep.

The next day we woke up to birds chirping in the distance and an early morning game drive. The full cast of The Lion King was in attendance: hippos, giraffes, crocodiles, ducks (yes, ducks!) ostriches, wildebeest, hornbills, lions, zebras, warthogs, kudus, gazelles, lions, elephants and more! After watching the sunrise over the African savannah, we parked near a river full of bathing hippos and enjoyed an authentic “bush breakfast” complete with fresh fruits, cheeses, meats and champagne. We burned off the calories with a walking safari – another surreal experience. Imagine walking to your camp alongside hundreds of zebras, gazelles, and wildebeests. I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea as herds of these wild, hoofed creatures paved a way for us to pass safely. Of course, knowing that lions and leopards were lurking nearby added excitement to our walk. After some R&R on our deck overlooking the grasslands, we were treated to one last delicious lunch before our flight home. As our tiny 17-seat plane lifted off the ground, the animals below shrank to the size of ants and eventually disappeared below the clouds. I reflected on my short but memorable stay at Olare Mara, thankful for the unforgettable experience and hopeful that I will return again someday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bluemoon_000
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive feedback on your stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
The details of your review make me feel like packing my safari bags and heading out on a trip to the Mara.
We will pass on your compliments to the team at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are happy to hear that all aspects of your stay were delightful, from the property, service, food, bush dining experiences and game drives within Olare Orok Conservancy.
Look forward to having you back with us in the Mara soon. If we can be of any support with your reservation, please let us know.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Situated on the private Olare Orok Conservancy where game viewing is excellent. The wildlife is less stressed than in the National Reserve - with far less traffic and a much more enjoyable experience all-round.

The camp has huge tents, well it's hard to call them tents really. They look like tents and are made of a combination of bricks and mortar and canvas, with beautiful hardwood floors. The bathrooms are again large, with both shower and bath.

The guest areas range from a bar down by the swimming pool, and a lounge and dining area up above. I was interested in how 5-star would do camp cuisine - they didn't disappoint, even the bush breakfast was a step up from any other I'd had.

Staff and management seem to have got it all right - attentative but unobstrusive.

Other than the Mara migration crossings, you'd never have to leave the Conservancy, and I'd recommend giving the crossings a miss - they are a zoo with over 100-vehicles - best seen on National Geographic. Sad but true.....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.

We are extremely pleased to receive all the wonderful feedback regarding Olare Orok Conservency, the location of our camp, which is indeed very special.

Happy to also hear that you were pleased with the luxury of Kempinski in the midst of the Wilderness, in terms of spacious accommodation, bathroom facilities, dining facilities and great cuisine.

We will share your review with the team and look forward to hosting you in the Mara once again in the near future. In case there is anything that we can do to assist with your next reservation, please let us know.