“Once in a lifetime!”

Adventures Aloft Balloon Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Masai Mara Kenya's most precious jewel and there is no better way to enjoy the magic of the park than from the air ! Adventures Aloft flies daily from Fig Tree Camp and Siana Springs in the Masai Mara game reserve. Flights take off at 6.30 Each morning in time with the sunrise and allow one to experience an eagle's view of the Masai Mara and all it's beauty. To complete the celebration a champagne breakfast is served on the Mara plains after the flight , complete with butler service and an open bar. Adventures Aloft organizes pick up services from most Mara camps and lodges.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This trip was so worth the expense , unfortunately my husband drew the short straw as we couldn't afford for us both to do the trip. However, our safari guide and driver followed the balloon with my husband for amazing pictures from the ground - hats off to the fig tree camp! Champagne breakfast in the bush a lovely experience and a chance to exchange stories with new friends. Didn't get the DVD from the flight (more expense) but if money was no object I would have!!

All reviews
"bucket list"
in 4 reviews
"great morning"

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have been on a balloon ride before, Bristol is after all where these balloons are made! We were picked up at 4.45am and taken to the fig tree lodge which was worlds away from Porini camps but obvious luxurious and an interesting insight nonetheless. On arrival to the lodge we were checked in and assigned a group. It was different to the normal standing lift off in that you are asked to climb into and lie in the basket whilst it is sideways and then lift off! The actual balloon ride was a great experience, seeing the sun rise over the park. We saw lions, elephants and even reedbuck in the park alongside vehicles on early game drives. My husband is not great with heights but had a good time and was glad he experienced it. It is cold at that time of the morning and at that height so be sure to wrap up.

The breakfast afterwards was a little chaotic but there was plenty and a variety of food and drink available. There was a lot of champagne and alcohol available, we didn't partake because we were due to be out in the reserve all day and not returning until around 7pm. The drive back to get picked up was a very short game drive and it was sad to see people clambering over each other in the vehicle to see a cheetah lying in a bush. Made us feel lucky that we had seen many at close range in the conservancies we were staying in.
If I went back I wouldn't necessarily go on a balloon ride again as it is very expensive but I'm glad we did it this time as it was worth it!

1  Thank 1066girl
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our driver picked us up at 4:30 am in the dark and somehow found his way to the launch site at the Fig Tree Lodge. It was our first balloon ride and with our Canadian pilot and 4 other balloons going up at the same time, it made for a very special take off. The one hour flight was filled with various animals below and the pilot dropped or raised the balloon to accommodate all 16 of us with a basket that rotates. All of us had a rim seat and were not over crowded.
The landing was picture perfect by Captain Ray. Vehicles took us to a central breakfast location in the open wilderness with wild animals grazing on the horizon. The champagne breakfast was well worth it with all the other ballooners who started at the same time. A must do on your bucket list.

1  Thank 47woodenshoes
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I LOVED this trip so much. We were staying at Fig Tree Camp where this balloon company has it's base. Admittedly it is pretty pricey (around 300GBP p/p) but completely worth it in my opinion. I am really not great with heights (won't go up the Eiffel Tower/Sigiriya in Sri Lanka etc) and the thought of being in a basket suspended under a flame-powered balloon filled me with horror - but when I heard the balloons leaving on my first morning - nothing more than the roar of the gas cyliner, I knew I had to do it.
Getting in was an interesting experience. I had visions of clambering into an upright basket, but this was not the case. So there i was on my back, shaking like a leaf (from fear not cold) with a giant flame blowing behind my head. Once you are upright, off the ground and told to stand up, it's incredible. There's no fear. It's a completely different sensation. Sunrise was beautiful, watching the wildebeest/zebra/elephants below was fantastic and the ride itself was so peaceful, still and quiet.
Highly, highly recommend it and I look forward to trying it elsewhere in the future.

1  Thank lucym7
See more reviews
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I took my daughter for her first balloon trip whilst on her 21st Birthday holiday to the Masai Mara. Captain John was experienced and friendly so we felt safe with him at the helm. There were 10 people plus the captain and a couple of ground staff, in the 4 compartment balloon basket. Not overcrowded at all. We set off around 6am so we could catch the sunrise from the air. It was very beautiful. We saw several different herds of animals, from different heights. We were brought lower to the ground to see 2 hyenas working together to try and pinch a baby wildebeest from a herd, however, the mother had other ideas and soon saw them off!

We had a smooth landing then were driven off to the site where we had a very well organised and tasty champagne (Asti Spumante!) breakfast. We were all given certificates to say we'd done the trip and an option to buy a DVD with our pictures and a short video of the trip, for $40 or 3000 KS. Pricey but as it was a special Birthday trip, I bought one as a memento.

Worth going to see the Mara from a different angle but I wouldn't rush to go again. $450 per person was a bit steep, in my opinion, for the 1 hour trip plus breakfast, especially when the billed 'champagne breakfast' wasn't the real McCoy! However, as a special one off trip, the experience was worth it.

3  Thank Egon_Rosie