“Safe, Comfortable, Welcoming.”

Elangata Olerai Luxury Tented Camp
Reviewed July 7, 2013

All was wonderful, staff, comfort, food, and safety. Any questions, requests, or concerns were immediately attended to. The Masai staff always walked with us at night, enriching our stay with information on their culture. Food was good, breakfast available as early as we desired- loved the pancakes ( I would call them crepes) and red plum jelly, wonderful soups daily, Great views from the tents. Clean and roomy tents and showers. We take away great memories.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank harridog
There are newer reviews for Elangata Olerai Luxury Tented Camp

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Given it was peak season, this place is a good value for money. Not a lot of variety of food, but it tasted great. Wasn't a big fan of the location. It was quite far from the gate. But the tents were nice and clean and staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cartman08
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Great time. I traveled with 8 others, we had 4 tents. Staff was readily available. My tent, Leopard, was closer to the Masai Mara than others. I heard an elephant one night and a zebra the first. I felt I was staying at a sustainable camp, quite comfortable, very clean, and up to terms with ecological concerns. Meals were surprisingly good and breakfast was bountiful. I would certainly return here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JFKfromBC
Reviewed April 25, 2012

A wonderful camp in the heart of wildlife, with beautiful scenery and a great place to relax and feel special. The staff are very friendly and the camp is very beautiful and comfortable, the tents are great, safe and have a wild Africa feeling with European luxury. I had a great time and will never forget such an experience....will definitely come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Last month I stayed at Elangata Olerai Camp in Masai Mara for a couple of days.
I felt relaxed and comfortable from the very beging of my stay.
In the reception the staff greeted me welcome with a cool refreshment, which was just what I needed after the long drive from Nairobi.
I was shown to my ”room”, which wasnt a room but a big stationary tent with a front porch and toilet and bathroom in the back. The tent was arranged with a couple of big beds with good quality madrasses. Every day the tent was cleaned and the beds were maid.

The staff at Elangata Olerai Camp was very friendly, hospitable and helpful and the food served in the Camp restaurant was excellent.
The bar was located above the reception with a spetacular veiw over the Savannah. It is indeed a great place to relax – maybe with a iced local beer (Tuska).

The Camp is build and owned by a kenyan family who has a great knowledge and love for the nature at the edge of the Masai Mare National Park. The area is well visited and there are a good activity over most of the day.

Every morning and evening herds of cows, cheep and goats passed the camp herded by local Masai people. Also alot of the wild life of the Savannah came very close to the camp and at night we could hear the sounds of dramatic activities happening in the Savannah.
Although the wildlife was so close to the Camp, I felt at no time scared or unsafe. The Camp had hired some local Masai people to guard the Camp and keep us safe from wild animals.

The facilities at the Camp was of the same standard as a good quality lodge, but here you are in the heart of the nature aswell.
This is a very nice place to stay for a good safari on Masai Mara.

I was there alone, but I can highly recommend it for both families and traveling friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kurtegon
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I found the camp to be wonderful. When I was there, I felt as if I was in the movie, "Out of Africa". The location, the amenities and the staff are top notch and I would recommend to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Masai Mara. I had the trip of a lifetime, and now have so many great memories of this area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank donnaj1958
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We had the pleasure of just returning from Elangata Olerai. Our stay consisted of five days and four nights, and we completely enjoyed the camp. I just read the review of Tampann, and I‘m glad I hadn’t read it before having the opportunity to see it for myself. I have been to camps in Masai Mara National Reserve, Amboseli National Park and Tsavo National Park. Part of the beauty and charm of Africa is that it isn’t like anything in the United States. If you are looking for “Western Experience”, then this land isn’t for you, but why come to Africa if you want five star luxuries, go to New York City.

The Masai Mara National Reserve holds a special place in my heart, because it was the first Reserve I visited on my original trip to Africa. The beauty of the land and the animals that you find there makes it an unforgettable experience, which you will want to repeat again and again. It’s truly an amazing place.

This was my first time staying at the Elangata Olerai camp. When we arrived, we were promptly greeted by the staff, and found them to be friendly, and helpful. I feel they went out of their way to make us feel welcome and safe, even having a local Masai located just outside our tent in the evening. The Masai also can take you on a walking safari, and with their knowledge of the land, plants and animals it is just an incredible experience, I learned so much from him and would recommend doing.

I found the tents to be very roomy and comfortable, with an amazing view of the land. I see they have almost completed the building of some additional tents. The tents were equipped with both a toilet and shower. After we had settled into our tent at night, it is just and marvelous experience to listen to the animals. Some animals we could here off in the distance, but many were very close, you truly are back to nature, but still you feel safe and secure. The meals were excellent and once again the staff went out of their way to assist us in any way.

This is the place to have a truly wonderful African experience. I am always awestruck when I look out over this land, and realize that I’m looking at an area that has never been changed by man, and it is the same place that it was when time began. I read this in another person’s recommendation and I could not agree more with it,

“I cannot imagine how anyone could come away from such a gloriously peaceful and wonderful experience with such negativity. I have never in my life seen something so beautiful as Masai Mara. It would take a truly pompous and bigoted person to not recognize that. But, unfortunately for the world, those people insist on leaving their houses. I fell in love with Kenya in previous travels and had doubts that anything could ever top it, but the camp in Masai Mara proved me wrong. Masai Mara will forever be in my heart and was worth every second. If you're looking for an adventure that is otherworldly and exhilarating beyond belief, then come to the camp at Masai Mara.” These are someone else’s words, but are so true!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple