“Fantastic camp well worth it! Great value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rhino Tourist Camp

Rhino Tourist Camp
Halifax, Canada
“Fantastic camp well worth it! Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just got back from a Safari trip from Kenya and I must admit that I had quite the experience. My trip took me to Masai Mara where I stayed at the Rhino Tourist Camp, the Aberdares where I stayed at the Treetops, Amboseli where I stayed at the Sopa Lodge and finally to Mombasa where I put up at the White Sands Hotel.
To be quite honest, from what I had seen on the internet, I was quite happy with all my choice of hotels except for Rhino Tourist Camp. This was based on the reviews that I had seen which though not all bad, made we wonder if I'd made the right decision. As I couldn't cancel the reservation, I went to Masai Mara with my fingers crossed.
What I found at this Rhino Tourist Camp was, to say the least, beyond my expectations! Granted, the dining could do with a bit of sprucing up but the camp overall was simply fantastic! I put up in a tented room and the bed was well made with clean white sheets (didn't expect white sheets in a camp in Masai Mara), slippers and towels and an extra ordinarily clean bathroom and toilet!! The shower also had hot water as well. Electricity is on from 6-8 in the morning and again from 6-10 in the evening.
The camp is set up among trees giving it a real cool feeling. A number of monkeys are within the camp although they are kept at bay by the friendly Masai guards that give a good sense of security! :-)
The food is not anything fancy but is quite tasty and hot. I noticed also that our picnic lunch was somewhat better than that of other tourists as we ate by the river.
The staff I met there were the warmest and friendliest people that I met in Kenya.
Given what I paid for my Masai Mara trip (I picked the camp over the other fancy lodges because the difference in price was quite ridiculous), I would most sincerely recommend this camp. I haven't had such value for my Canadian dollars in quite a while!

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Kairitours, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and thank you for picking to stay with us during your visit to Masai Mara. We are, especially, pleased to read that you enjoyed our new rooms. We are in the process of upgrading the older units so that we can have all the rooms at similar standard. Thank you, once again, for your feedback.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Swakopmund, Namibia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while visiting Masaai Mara and it was worth it - not only Maasai Mara but also the Camp. Basic but clean and very friendly staff. The tent was clean, the beds comfortable and the shower hot. I would chose this one any time again for good value for money.

Room Tip: If you booked the trip for one person, but joined a group in the bus, insist on your own room/tent...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
It is always a pleasure to read that a guest enjoyed their stay at our campsite. It is an even greater pleasure to read that you feel the service provided was worth its value. From the staff at the campsite and all of us, thank you for staying with us and Karibu Tena.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Being a budget camp, I was expecting an average stay. When we first checked in the room, we realised we got the concrete room n not the tented one, but we stuck to it since the others were saying the tent was a little hot inside. It had the basic bed, CLEAN SHEETS, mosquito net and toilet and showers.

The camp itself was very enviro-friendly, but what made our stay the one to remember were the hospitality of the staffs, the chef prepared lovely meals for us and also joined in our conversation. Caroline was such a darling as well, and the Masai guards having talks with us and sharing their stories, really made a difference to our stay and I would definitely return if I ever do. The price included EVERYTHING! Kairi Tours, who operates this camp even provided us with 2 5 litres of bottled water, which we were VERY thankful for!

All in all, our Kenya trip was memorable because of the hospitality we received. Sometimes, it's the little things that makes a BIG difference!

Erin

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing photos of the period of your stay. We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit again and look forward to hosting you.
Mombasa, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

i was in masai mara for the first time and since i didnt want to spend alot of money in lodges i decided to chose rhino tourist camp, i had wonderful moments with my guests, the food was good, the staff very coperative, not forgeting jackson who is in charge of the management, he knows his job very well,the camp is 5 minutes to the gate of the masai mara at night you can even hear the lions roaring and the hyena laughing. its was a great moment well spent in rhino camp.... keep it up

Room Tip: remeber to slleep in the tents they are more adventrous
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked to stay on the weekend of 24-26 August only to find they'd overbooked and didn't even have the courtesy of telling us. We found that out when our tour driver drove us to a neighbouring camp and told us to diembark!
It would have been for the Rhino staff to meet us and apologise for the error then offer us that option.
On the second day we finally got to stay at Rhino but that was because our tour leader made a big fuss.
Other than that, I loved the tents and the camp experience-that was worth waiting for.
The food is a bit flat though generous.
Out of it all, I just wish the staff were a bit customer friendly and communicative with their guests.
I found that quite unforgiveable and am afraid I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Mukua, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
We sincerely apologize for the failure to communicate the accommodation situation at the campsite beforehand and, more so, that a member of our team did not personally approach you to communicate this to you.

I assure you that we take customer service very seriously and I have shared your sentiments with the staff so that this should never happen again. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels

Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Though still underconstruction, this camp is definitely not the best in terms of accommodation. The tents were good in terms of quality but the bathrooms left a bad impression on me.
Staff were warm and friendly.
hopefully it will improve soon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Was as rhino camp for 2 nights and the stay really exceeded expectations!the staff is warm and very eager to assist.food is ok,not too fancy but tasty and filling.the rooms are basic but comfortable.can be cold at night so be sure to carry sleeping socks!the fact that its about 5 minutes from the park entrance is good.travel with a friend or you will be made to share a room with a stranger!overall experience was wonderful!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple