“Experience of a lifetime!”

Kicheche Valley Camp
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Have just gotten home after a 5 day stay at the Valley Camp. I can without a doubt say that its been the greatest adventure of my life! The camp is beautiful with an amazing staff! We saw all the big cats including 2 leopards the last day! Thanks Val and Brandan for facilitating such a great stay, and to our guide Mika which is an outstanding spotter who grew up in the area.

The conservancy has restrictions on how many cars can operate within it - and it makes for a truly unique experience where you feel all alone most of the time!

Food on the camp was fantastic! - as you may understand by now - everything about our stay here was amazing! I cannot wait till my next visit to the Valley Camp!

Room Tip: All tents are the same. As well as the animals walking around it at night.. :)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hcberge
There are newer reviews for Kicheche Valley Camp

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is a beautiful camp in an amazing setting. We arrived to three bull elephants making their way down the valley as they paused, every now and then, to pull up a few trees! We stayed in Nabo tent which is one furthest away from the main guest area which added to the excitement and has the most spectacular views of the valley. We were fortunate that there were so many wildebeest - early October - as we were able to watch them stampede.
The beauty and tranquility of the environment is further enhanced by the hospitality and friendliness by the whole Valley Camp team. Brendan and Val cannot do enough to help - they are so friendly and welcoming and are the perfect hosts. We felt we were staying with friends - chatting and drinking red wine into the evening (despite knowing that we would be up early in the morning for the game drive!). The food is fantastic - I really don't know how they manage to cook such delicious meals in the middle of the bush. John - the restaurant manager - is a wonderful person and announces the menu with such panache!
Our safari guide was Jonathan who is very talented and informative. He expertly identified the wildlife and provided interesting facts whilst still allowing periods of 'quiet' to embrace the sounds and overall ambiance of this stunning environment.
I also treated myself to a massage - quite a 'surreal' experience. An expert massage in the middle of the bush!
It is difficult to express the overall experience of Valley Camp - perhaps the best endorsement is to say that I was really sad to leave.
Thank you to everyone - treasured memories forever!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harveyhound
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I felt we could truly relax at this camp. The management and staff were very flexible in providing great service to all guests, according to their own individual needs. The food was delicious, and the accommodation was the quintessential African experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Cathy L
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Its a beautiful camp with just 6 tents. All tents are quite large with running hot and cold water as well as toilet units. They are beautifully decorated and have stupendous views. Camp is hosted by Brendon and Val. Both are warm hosts and looked after us very well. Food is superb and all dietary restrictions are well catered for. There's plenty of game in the conservancy. We had superb sightings of Cheetah, Lions with cubs and leopards. There's plenty of game around the camp as well including thousands of wildebeest when we were there. Elephants, giraffes and impalas can be observed from the camp itself. At night one can hear lions roaring and hyenas giggling. The only drawback is that it's quite far from the main masai mara national reserve taking 2 hours to reach the gates. However, with so much game on the conservancy there is little reason to visit the reserve other than wathcing a crossing.
All in all a superb litttle camp

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vikramghanekar
Reviewed October 4, 2012

“KICHECHE VALLEY CAMP delivers a magnificent experience”
Reviewed October 2, 2012 NEW
Having travelled the world, I have returned home from my Kenyan experience 100% satisfied - and for me, that is saying a WHOLE LOT!

Kicheche Valley Camp is the youngest in the Kicheche family. Situated in the Naboisho Conservancy, the game are shy but eager to get to know their onlookers. A pride of 22 lions, several lionesses and their cubs of varying ages, presented themselves, while a leopard stretched out on a black rock catching the last rays of the day dancing on his spots, proud and unperturbed. Ellies, Giraffe, Hiippo, Wildebees and Zebra abound. The camp is just over an hour’s drive from the Masai Mara where a Wildebees and Zebra migration is a dramatic, energetic and nail biting event to witness. A kill attracts the usual suspects with Hyaena and Jackal fiercely defending their dining order while a variety of vulture and stork impatiently wait their turn.

The drivers/spotters are experienced and trained to work with photographers, cutting the engine or inching forward to find a gap between the long grass. Francis, my guide/driver/spotter always had several bean-bags available on which to settle cameras. No tripod required.

Francis also made sure our bush breakfast or lunch experience invoked the sense of pre-independence Kenya .... from laying the table, hauling out the bush chairs to unpacking the more than adequate lunch hamper, to the disinfectant hand spray. He thought of everything bringing it along.

As for the camp itself - tremendous. The accommodation is as it is shown on the Kicheche website photos but there is more you cannot see. The tub of washing powder if you choose to do your own smalls, an absolutely must use Honey and Lemon liquid hand soap and bar, high quality body soap and shampoo, plenty of hot water and luxurious towels. A hot water bottle is tucked into your bed at night and a water purifier stands in the corner of your tent. The camp is green. Plastic drinking bottles are replaced with metal bottles for your private use. A luxurious toweling gown, flip flops and a wrap takes care of those you left behind. The tent itself is well finished with a ‘washed’ floor and without wires and incomplete irritants. They even supply the correct adapter. The vistas from the deck are spectacular where silence speaks volumes.

The Masai staff are quiet and professional. Starting with the chef for whom I discovered, NO dietary restriction is too much trouble! He presented a variety of mouthwatering meals whether to be consumed in camp or in the bush. He often delivered three different meals at the same sitting to accommodate those not eating one or all of the following, gluten, dairy, sugar, meat, fish or eggs. Val and Brandon, our hosts, made us feel welcome, warm and part of the family. As long as they were told what was needed they were eager to deliver and did. Every arm of the Kicheche Valley Camp management and staff is impeccable. From the guards walking me to and from my tent to the waiter armed with tea-tray and anything I would have liked, to give me a quiet 4:30 a.m. wake-up call.

Kicheche Valley people are proud of their camp and are guaranteed to give you their very best to ensure your Kenyan safari experience with them is excellent! They certainly did that for me.

Room Tip: Choose a tent away from the entrance pathway.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jocelin K
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at the Valley camp for 4 nights 18-22 August 2012, we have done many safaris previously in Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Kenya, however this was our first time to the Masai Mara. Having spent 3 nights in a 'tented camp' in Tanzania I was aware of what to expect...or so I thought...the accommodation at this camp surpassed all my expectations, we were allocated tent No 1, which is furthermost away from the dining area, however, it has the most stunning panoramic views accross the valley of which you could see the lines of wilderbeest in the distance and nearer to the tent you could see giraffes and elephant, the latter of these came through the valley during our stay. The tents are very comfortable indeed, with hot running water available at all times (something which we did not have in Tanzania )..we have been privilidged to stay in many of the top hotels around the world and I would rate Valley Camp up their in our top 5!.. Val and Brendan are the perfect hosts and we enjoyed swapping travelling tales with them over dinner in the evening. Our guide for the trip was Frances who has the amazing ability to spot animals miles away..his timing was perfect and we were one of the first cars at the scene of the mighty Mara river crossing which was truly an amazing experience. As a photographer I had expectations of what I would like to see and photograph and thanks to Frances (an Mike who assisted) I was able to get all the shots of all the animals I wanted, Lion, Cheetah and even the elusive Leopard. I highly recommend spending at least one full day in the Mara as well as doing a night game drive in Naboisho. I would like to thank everyone at the camp and we are already making plans to return next year! Without a doubt this is the best African Safari we have experienced and I cant recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Tent number 1 has the most spectacular views!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LYNN953
Reviewed August 16, 2012

First of all, let it be registered that Kicheche Valley Camp should be ranked much, much higher up than it currently is in TripAdvisor. I imagine the reason it is not is because it simply has a low number of reviews (only ten at the moment of this writing), whereas the lodgings that occupy the podium have had many more.

But be assured this is the only reason. Kicheche Valley is as spectacular as Kicheche Bush (where I also stayed in this same trip - and have posted a review for it), but with even more comfortable lodgings. While at Bush Camp there is no hot water on the sink and the shower is a "bucket shower" manually filled with hot water by camp staff, in Valley Camp there is hot running water in both sinks (his and hers) and hot running water for shower whenever you wish.

The tent in Valley Camp is also a bit more luxurious, spacious and comfortable, with the floor covered with laminate panelling. The overall effect is amazing, as may be seen by the pictures posted by management. We did think that the toilet's sepctic tank smelled a bit, something that did not happen in Kicheche Bush, but the smell did not leave the toilet "stall" and was, frankly, a very, very minor nuisance. You have to consider, after all, you are camped with all comforts and luxury possible in the middle of the savanna.

Service standards is also amazing, with both lunch and dinner being served French-style and breakfasts being held in the middle of the savanna. Both Brendon and Val, camp managers, make you feel very comfortable and are more than willing to tailor your daily activities to meet all your specific needs.

I did find the Valley Camp region a better area to see giraffes than to see lions (plenty of those at the Bush Camp conservancy), but we got to view a mother leopard and its cub for long stretches for two days in sequence.

All in all, Kicheche Valley, just like Kicheche Bush, is the stuff of dreams, and anyone fortunate enough to stay there will have the experience of a lifetime. With all its comforts and extreme cleanliness, Kicheche Valley will surely please even the pickiest of travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple