“A well-deserved five-star rating for this fun, cozy camp”

Mara Eden Safari Camp
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have written dozens of reviews on TripAdvisor, and issuance of a five-star rating by me is RARE. Here is one of those exceptional cases.

This camp reminds me of a sign I once saw:
"If you are in a hurry, you are probably in the wrong place."
This camp is great for those ready to unwind and relax, and/or use as a base for safari runs.

The Mara Eden Safari Camp is just a great place to be. The rooms/tents are wonderfully decorated with every tiny detail you could imagine. The camp is not huge, which provides a level of cozyness and an opportunity to get to meet your nearby campers. I was never clear whether the camp is in or out of the park, but it's all a blurry line anyway since there is wildlife everywhere. The rooms were so comfortable, so quiet, so relaxing, I almost forgot we were there to go on a safari. They were that great!

And it still gets better: The food. Not a slab of cold cuts and a tossed salad and juice. This place truly cooks up good quality meals and in good portions. By no means are you "roughing it" on the food options (or sleeping for that matter). Finally, the staff. The South African owner was uber uber friendly and caring. She spent time to get to know guests, was always full of great stories to tell during dinnertime over the evening campfire, and went the extra mile to help guests with needs. The two young men who assisted her were friendly and welcoming throughout and even offered to take some of us on a walking safari.

I highly recommend anyone coming to the Masai Mara to consider this camp. It provides an excellent value and is absolutely a wonderful place to relax and wake up bright and early each day to start your Safari adventure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank X1432GLmikeg

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We arrived late at Mara Eden due to a very bad storm, got lost however our reception at Mara Eden made up for everything. A wonderful reception with the hostess Jenny ready with a hot meal. The best was the hot shower and to top it all was the hotwater bottle delivered at our tents. Just what the" doctor ordered". The staff were amazing and the driver who took us to Masai Mara knew his turf very well.
If you do not get anywhere else get to Mara Eden. Thanks to Jennynand all the staff at Eden you made the travel worth our while. God Bless. Diana

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Diana G
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Long overdue but finally we have the chance to state what a wonderfull time we had at Mara Eden Camp. We stayed 2 nights end of Februari 2012. The managment gave us the feeling we were part of the family and they improvised fantastic when the weather played some tricks on our gamedrives! The dinner in front of the tent made us feel as if we were on honeymoon!
Thanks once again!!!
Karin and Ronald Schinagl

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karin En Ronald S
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I ended a trip to Kenya with a safari and I was placed here by a travel agent. The place was beautiful and the staff incredible. I traveled alone so when I arrived at the camp it seemed like I was visiting some long lost friends, who made sure every moment was exactly what I had hoped for. Waking up in the morning included looking across the talek river right onto the preserve and at night sharing a campfire with some local Masai and then being serenaded to sleep by the local wildlife. Tents are exquisite, guides are the best on the reserve, and the food is delicious. A+ place and will revisit again, with friends!

Room Tip: Any room is superb. There is a salt lick next to 5 which attracts many different animals to view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank hbjk7420
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I woke up one morning, stepped out of my tent and saw a giraffe and a group of elephants in the distance. The tent/lodging itself is very comfortable, clean and free of creepy crawlers, which surprised me in a good way. Big bed, hot shower. Breakfast was superb - dinners were decent. The packed lunches were filling after a long morning on game drive. The best part of Eden is the staff and the manager/owners - they don't take the place for granted and their enthusiasm for the Mara and the animals is infectious. I highly recommend this camp.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank GirlfromKabul
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Mara Eden is a little treasure hidden away in the majesty that is the Mara. Our host Jay made us feel right at home and not like a tourist, which was such an amazing feeling and change from some of the other places we stayed at during out 6 day safari.

Mara Eden is poised within the cradle of the Mara which means if you want to see the Big 5 (or 6 if you include the Cheetah) then look no further. We absolutely loved the experience and are already looking forward to another trip next year.

Mara Eden, the hidden gem of the mara is an eco friendly, homely and truly, as we say here is Australia - a true beaut!

Asante Sana Jay and team :)

Azi, Kate, Bryan, Leanne, Ijaz and Yasmin

Room Tip: All the camps are ideally located around the river so really cannot possibly pick a wrong camp!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AziS_12
Reviewed May 24, 2012

While in Kenya for work I found a free weekend to drop down and visit Masai Mara. The park was great, but what really made the experience was the camp. A great place to relax and enjoy good food and wildlife all around. The managers made me feel like at home and made sure that I had anything that I needed.

I will be back, but next time with the family.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo