Losokwan Camp Maasai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$832
$310
  • Breakfast included
Mara Leisure Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$325
$296
  • Breakfast included
Mara River Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$393
$363
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$720
$485
Fairmont.com
  • Breakfast included
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$500
$389
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Sarova Mara Game Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$798
$744
  • Breakfast included
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
$658
  • Breakfast included
Governor's Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,000
$867
  • Restaurant
Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,161
$2,119
All reviewsbasecamp explorerwalking safarioutdoor showergame driveswatering holefemale guidesalt lickmasai guidesanimal behaviortwo nightsmain tentwater holefantastic experienceoff roadplenty of hot waterday safarifamily tent
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Eagle View was our last stop on our safari before going down to the beach...Stunning, Breathtaking, Out of this World do not do this location justice. It is like a theater location and the Mara is the stage where the animals improvise every day in their quest for survival. The accommodation is world class. Beautiful room with an indoor and outdoor shower. Each night a guard watches over the rooms in case an animal decides to join you. In fact one night we heard a crunching, munching sound right outside and peeked through the curtain to see an Elephant 10ft from us grazing on a tree...that made the heart pound!!

The restaurant area was spectacular too. Overlooking the Mara and watching Vultures go past at eye level is an incredible sight to see. The food was very good and the staff exceptional. Between morning and evening safari's my son and I played football with the staff and local high school students. They have a makeshift field with posts and string for crossbars...the giraffes, gazelle and warthogs had to be shooed off before we could kick off though...

Anybody looking for an authentic safari experience without having to pitch a tent and sleep on the ground should consider Basecamp Explorer. They have the option of the on-ground safari too but this was a once in a lifetime experience and we would not have had it any other way.

Room Tip: Impossible...All spectacular...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DohaTraveler1
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Eagle View is located at a spectacular spot, with great accommodation and friendly service to match. Sadly only stayed the one night, but would highly recommend a longer visit.

I transferred to Eagle View via safari from their sister accommodation Basecamp. The hour or two drive went through varied landscapes with plenty to see - wildlife, fauna and local villages. Eagle View is in a very isolated spot, so entering the beautiful main lounge area takes every visitors breath away.

The accommodation is in spread-out luxury tents. I was in the end tent, which felt perfectly isolated with its view of the lush valley below. Giraffe grazed around my tent during the night - while herds of animals passed below during the day.

In summary:
- Spacious well constructed permanent tent with wooden floors and decking. Includes both an indoor and outdoor shower. Modern sit down flush toilet. Good water pressure.
- Plugs in tent for recharging batteries.
- Wifi in the main lounge, bat and kitchen area
- Highly recommend the morning safari walk
- Saw very few other safaris due to the isolated position
- Airstrip is about 30-40 minutes away on rough roads. Flights in small planes direct to Nairobi although they may stop at other airstrips on the way.
- Food was good quality
- There are no shops nearby - bring everything you will need (note - air transfers have strict weight limits)

Ask the Masai guides and guards to sing in the evening - they don't need a lot of encouragement and their voices are wonderful.

Very low stress place to stay. It is the middle of the African wilderness - so expect lizards, snakes and even the odd large mammal. Lots of bird life. Guards ensure everyone is safe from the local wildlife.

Would ensure that all additional changes - like credit card fees etc - are included in quote. Always pay in local currency - or you will likely get a bad exchange rate. There is a tip box which is evenly distributed to the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Oz_Pete_Travels
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had traveled nearly two weeks in Kenya before ending our trip at the magnificent Basecamp Eagle View. We could not have asked for a better "icing on the cake" end to our wonderful time in this country. Everything, and I stress Everything, was absolutely magical about our stay. From the Safarilink flight over the Great Rift Valley to the landing on the Naboisho air strip to the drive to Eagle View (seeing our first herd of elephants along the way) to the warm and refreshing welcome by the Eagle View staff to the stupendous views of the Mara to our fantastic accommodations to game drives to breakfast in the bush to the out of this world cuisine to all the incredibly friendly Eagle View team...Eagle View is setting the pace of what can and should be done throughout Kenya (and Africa for that matter) - a place of conservancy and concern for its precious wildlife and community as well as providing its guests a once in a lifetime excellent safari experience. I just hope it won't be my only time to visit Eagle View - I want to return again and again to this heavenly refuge in the Masai Mara.

Room Tip: Would recommend Eagle View for a wonderful and memorable family trip. However, would suggest any children be at least 12 and over.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Pvirden
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This being our first trip to Africa ever, choosing Basecamp Explorer in Kenya was a very lucky first choice!! I must first compliment Evelyne Kariuki, who helped me plan this trip and she made very good suggestions and was extremely accommodating in terms of advising where, how and what to do. This was a first good sign that we were headed the right direction. We spent two nights in Basecamp Masaai Mara and then stayed four nights in Eagle View. Basecamp Masaai Mara is a good first stop, and as someone who does not like to camp, the bathroom was fine! Some reviewers complained that it seemed primitive but it was ECO for crying out loud. And then to move to Eagle View was a real surprise, the view from our tent was incredible. a lot less traffic. and we loved all of our guides throughout our trips - Simon and Manfred were fantastic. we saw every animal imagined. definitely will recommend to our friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2dogsandacat
Reviewed February 4, 2014

After three days in the Basecamp Mara, we drove into the Naboisho Conservancy. Our Masai guides, (Big Moses, Derek, Manfred, Olson and several others) made us feel so welcome and well taken care of on all levels. Having seen a Cheetah kill, a fantastic male Leopard up close,Rhinos, Lions, Buffallo's, Hyenas, Jackals, Elephants, Antilopes of all kinds, and many other animals, only in the first two days (January, 2014), my head was already on overload from all the impressions. Then, the chef, host and eminent bartender Daniel met us in the Dorobo camp. Here, Zebras were gracing, seeking shelter close to us while darkness closed in and the campfire was lit. Out of nowhere dinner was served on a level not expected in such surroundings. How did they do it? Then G&T's around the campfire while listening to two Lions talking to each other on either side of the camp. For those never heard a Lion.... Wow!
Then, walking safari from Dorobo to Eagle View. With Dorobo as guide and scout. (Dorobo the scout is a famous name in these corners, and the camp was named in his honor.) And mind you, the walking safari is a no-gun safari. The Masai use no guns, only spears and rungo's (throwing clubs) are accepted in these circles...
But the thing is, I never felt more safe than in than in the hands of these experienced guides. All the way, the guides stopped and explained what we saw, from " An Elephant gave birth here only last night...the thorn berries you may eat, and thorns are excellent tooth picks... The Elephant poop is still warm... Warthogs slept here last night... Etc. Fantastic.
Then Eagle View. A most amazing eco-camp overlooking a valley of Eden. At one point I counted 35 Elephants and 25 Buffallos, a dillion Zebras and more, all from the terrasse at Eagle View before breakfast.
The accomodation at Eagle View is outstanding. Luxury cabins, beds like in the best hotels, showers inside, showers outside, Masai guards ready to walk you around, birds.. Lions talking at night. A kitchen you would not expect. Thank you Daniel and Silanga, you were so nice.
Some get tired early, some don't. I don't. So I stayed up and got to tell and hear stories around the fire at night. "Listen, There is a Lion over there..." And I made Masai friends.
Top three memories from Kenya (in no particular order, all #1's: ) the friendly and warm Masaii, the smile of Big Moses and the roar of the Lion..
Would I recommend? I am well travelled, I have been to the very North, spent years in the US, all major places in Europe, Asia. If there is one place I will return to it is Masai Mara and Naboisho. And I would not even consider a different camp operator than Basecamp. Good enough for Obama, good enough for me.
Regards, Esebel (my name in Masai:)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends