“Rarest Diamond of the Mara”
Review of Amani Mara Camp

Amani Mara Camp
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is my 6th time to visit the Mara, and the 5th time I have stayed in the Mara. Not because there are no choices to stay at the Mara, but can't make myself go to any other property...have tried, have even got better and attractive deals.....let alone that, having so much difficulty even to go other properties in other parks
There being only one reason, once you have been to Amani Mara you get spoilt rotten, the personalization, the room is prepared how I would like, the meals are hot steaming from the kitchen straight to the table, and the courses are s filling and tempting that it is so hard to say no to any course. The staff are so loving and pleasant......they go out of the way to make you so comfortable and you also feel that your privacy is respected.
The views of the Mara, located right next to the river, located in wilderness, you are home away from home in the midst of beautiful and exotic wilderness, at night you are graced with the occasional roars of the lions......you wake up in the morning to the site of zebras, wilderbeasts, grazing in the lawn.....then there are the hippo snorts ........it is sheer paradise
Amani Mara calls it self the jewel of Mara....I disagree. It is the rarest diamond in the Mara.
Highly recommend all whether you go with family, friends and even honeymooners..it is the place to be!!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have the private view to the river...........
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Amani Mara Camp

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Amani Mara was just spectacular. Amazing scenic setting with a view of the river and hippo pool. All natural environment with no fences providing an adventure and experience in the Mara that can not be forgotten. The owner is an environmentalist with the mindset and ambition to preserve the natural beauty of the Mara without affecting the animals habitat. The rooms were just superb - clean, huge, amazing hot water and superb views from the rooms itself. The service and food was extraordinary. The game drives were excellent with very experienced and knowledgeable guides.
The best place in the Mara!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keval S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I spent two nights at Amani Mara in Octobre 2012 – unfortunately only two nights.
The lodge is incredible. It is situated in the Masai Mara but „off the beaten track“ in a peaceful conservation area and was built with remarkable attention to detail and blends in perfectly with the environment. The owners, Ashif and Shelina, personally take very good care of their guests and the vastness of their knowledge is impressive. All their employees are Masai and nobody knows the land better than them. The rooms are made of stone and canvass. All the rooms have balconies, which you can access through an open canvass flap. In the night, you may leave this flap open and listen to the sounds of the surrounding wildlife. I have never had a holiday experience quite like this before; it was simply perfect!
My friend and I were constantly amazed. One of the highlights of our stay was an evening walk with two Masai, Joseph and Johnmark. We walked towards the sunset, where – surprisingly - Ashif was waiting for us. A table and two chairs had been set up and as we sat down we were each given a glass of a fruity homemade cocktail and delicious Indian snacks while watching the sun set over the Mara. At this point I must add that this snack – just like every meal we had – was prepared by Shelina and every bite was a culinary sensation!
Unfortunately, the time at the lodge flew by and I was very sad when we had to leave to continue our Safari.

I can highly recommend staying at Amani Mara. It will exceed your every expectation!

Room Tip: I stayed in room no.9 which has an incredible view from the balcony. In the mornings, you should tak...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

There are soo many words to describe this place yet non feels worthy enough, My three nights stay at this gorgreous lodge was awesome, very relaxing, great views of wildlife, nature etc,
The food servings were big I had to negotiate my amount [yes shelina I had to write this haha!]

The rooms were huge beds comfy and I admired the architecture of the place, very unique, environmental friendly etc, I have lots of things to say about Amani mara lots of memorable things especially the personalized service Ashif and Shelina you the best. Thumbs up.!
Looking forward the spa opening.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kenyasafariss
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We visited Amani Mara Lodge in March 2013. The visit was a beautiful experience in it's entirety. Beautiful views from the lodge itself, looking out over a river full of hippos! Wonderful decor within the building. A great atmosphere - calm, peaceful, very much at one with the natural surroundings. The service was also wonderful. My sister and her fiance had just gotten engaged, and it was beautiful that when they arrived at their tent, the staff had laid on champagne to help them celebrate! I would highly recommend Amani Mara Lodge to anyone! Especially couples and older families.

Room Tip: Because of the location and the proximity to the heart of the reserve, if any of your party are afra...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I don't normally post reviews but this experience was such a magical so I really wanted to share this with fellow travelers.

Our trip to the Masai Mara was arranged by Affable Tours http://www.affabletours.com/ who were truly excellent. Their in depth knowledge of the Mara and the various game lodges meant that our adventure was personalised to our particular needs and they did everything in their power to ensure we had the best time possible; our driver was a great character really knew his stuff. I can't recommend them highly enough.

The lodge is run by a local family - they were always so kind and warm and they really couldn't do enough for us. According to our driver this is the best lodge in the Mara and i do not doubt his judgement at all. We had such a wonderful experience from start to finish - the luxury and individuality provided us with one of the best holiday experiences we have ever had (i do not say this lightly as we travel extensively!).

They have the most breathtaking views of the countryside - from our balcony we saw many animals and the river below even has its own resident hippos! The accommodation is extremely luxurious and due to the fact they have attractive solid walls of lime/wood at ground level and the balconies are raised off the ground you feel completely safe - although we did have a Masai warrior located outside our door all night just in case!. The lodges are constructed with such incredible attention to detail, for example the showers are built out driftwood and will need to be seen to be believed.

I also really recommend the bush walk as we got such a massively different perspective from our game drives, accompanied by a Masai and expert guide we were instructed on survival techniques, we walked near to the Hippos basking in the water, viewed snake burrows, wildebeests and even discovered a Zebra and its tracks as it had got away after being attacked and died - We heard the hyenas that night!.

Another example of how incredibly welcoming the staff were was when on one of the nights we were having dinner on my birthday and i was presented with a personalized cake, lots of drums and singing - such a wonderful surprise!!

I cannot recommend this lodge enough - you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms benefit from the same great views...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Visited Amani Mara in March 2012. We LOVED our time there and were already planning to come back even before we left. The staff and owner are very attentive and friendly. It is a small lodge, so we felt very personalized attention. We had an opportunity to go on a Masai-guided nature walk, go to a Masai village, had a lovely sundowner with a beautiful view, and were treated to a FABULOUS surprise "bush dinner" on our last night. Everything about our stay was so fun! It was evident that the staff took pride in their work and bent over backwards to make sure we had a great time. We truly felt pampered and relaxed, while somehow still maintaining a good sense of adventure each day.
We saw lots of animals too--some of them right from our balcony. The "tents" or rooms are well appointed and are sturdy enough to feel safe, yet the canvas window coverings still allow you to be serenaded by the hippos each night.
I would highly recommend a stay at Amani Mara!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends