“Drivers Actions”

Orpington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Drivers Actions”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I booked a holiday through Titan Holidays who use Pullmans in Kenya. My overall impression of Pullmans and their drivers knowledge is that they are absolutely brilliant.
My point in writing this review is to warn other ladies of the danger of making friends with one particular driver, Lazarus Kithetic. I met him on my first trip to Kenya last year. When I returned home I had daily phone calls, texts, e mails etc. We (I thought) built up a relationship over a year. I retuned to Kenya in March this year where he then demanded money from me. When the money ran out he decided the 'relationship' was not working and dumped me in Nairobi. It took a friend to arrange alternative accomodation for me until I returned home. I urge ladies of any age to take great care in trusting this man.

Visited April 2011
3 Thank labrador123

Bracknell, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great bunch of people”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Have to say that Pollmans were exceptionally organised during oure 12 day visit to Kenya. We were met @ Nairobi on arrival from Heathrow and given all the information we needed for our short stay in Nairobi City - we were efficiently transferred to the hotel. We were collected on time 2 days later and transferred for an internal flight to Masai Mara for 3 days, leaving the majority of our luggage with them (something which worried me but I was completely wrong).

We were met at the Mara on time, on return to Wilson Airport in Nairobi we Pollmans were waiting for us on time and with our luggage :-). We were then transferred to Jomo Kenyatta for our flight to Mombasa. They met us at Mombasa and efficiently transferred us to our hotel in Diani beach.

At the end of our stay we were collected on time and delivered to the airport to fly back to Nairobi for our connecting flight to the UK.

Everything went like clockwork - amazing.

Visited March 2012
banora point australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Can't say enough positive things about Pollman's !!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We have just returned from a 10 day trip to Kenya, booked through Safari 365 in Sydney and facilitated by Pollmans in Kenya. From the moment we arrived in Nairobi the service was exceptional. Our accommodation was top notch and our drivers Peter and RopKoy were very knowledgable and obliging. As we travelled on a private tour - just the 4 of us - we were able to be a little flexible and our drivers were more than helpful. At the end of the tour we privately booked a visit to a children's orphanage, the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and the Giraffe Centre. This was all handled very professionally to the extent that Leah, from the Nairobi office, visited the Mama Ngina Childrens Orphanage prior to our visit to ensure that we would be well received. She stayed with us during the visit as well. We went on shopping trips in Nairobi and Ropkoy took us to a Wholesale Market to purchase bulk grain, flour, sugar, etc for the orphanage as well. We would not hesitate to recommend Pollmans to anyone wanting a unique experience in Kenya.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank fozziebear56
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Limited Use for Connections Only but would not want them again”
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We booked our entire 2+ week Safari through a well known travel company in the US (review coming). They chose Pollman to do some pick up and drop off... and we were disappointed by their level of service. On arrival overnight in Nairobi from London, they met us at the plane but did not have our tickets for the next flight that they were supposed to have.... it took a member of their team to drive to the office then the airport with them. It worked out in the end, but was quite stressful as we sat in the hallways at the Nairobi airport hoping they'd make it in time and that our bags would get transferred correctly. Upon our arrival back in Nairobi at the end of our safari, we couldn't find them at the airport... they finally found us. In an effort to make up for their earlier problems, they told us dinner at our hotel was on them.... when we got to the hotel restaurant we were told pollman's was only going to cover the lamb fixed menu... not cheaper options we really wanted after our long trip... so we ended up paying for it ourselves. I don't know what the other options are in Nairobi, but I'd suggest that if you have a choice you stay away from using these guys.

Visited August 2011
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Between good and average”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Booked as part of our package tour with Hayes & Jarvis. Driver's name was Shafiq, good spoken English, polite, friendly, knowledgeable.

2 of us, paired with another couple, 7 seater pop-up-roof van (exc seat next to driver). Not 4 wheel drive, but from Mombasa we were visiting Taita Hills/Tsavo East/Tsavo West/Amboseli so managed to get everywhere we needed to go without problems.

Van relatively clean (& cleaned along the trip as well), but fairly scruffy. To be expected I think, given the beating the vehicles take. Kenyan roads aren't up to much generally and the parks are bumpy and dirty which is to be expected, though they all had designated driving tracks - more obviously so than Masai Mara or Samburu.

Driver made sure our luggage in the rear was covered with a blanket (lots of red dust on this trip), except the final leg from Amboseli back to Mombasa - shame really, as our bags ended up covered in the dust.

Thrilled to be 'first on the scene' for 2 separate prides of lions - unfortunately it was not our driver who spotted either pride, in spite of 1 lot walking towards us beside the track we were driving along. For the 2nd lot we'd actually parked about 10 feet from a fairly visible male lion under a bush without spotting him (his harem popped out later), our driver was telling us about a bird sitting nearby! Lucky for us on both occasions one of our companions turned out to be an excellent 'spotter'.

Also first on the scene for 2 separate leopards. Sadly not down to the driver again, 1 was sitting beside the road, looking like he was waiting for a bus and the following day a different one was walking along the track towards us.

On all 4 of these sightings we got a few minutes of time alone before other vehicles responded to our drivers 'announcement' of what we were looking at and where. This is where I felt our driver let us down a bit. Not because he radio'd it in (I've no problem with that), but he did have rather a habit of 'moving up' as soon as other vehicles showed up, so we no longer had the best view.

Now, I appreciate everyone wants to get a good view and photo's, but when we are there first I expect 10 minutes in the best position before he ASKS us if it's OK to move and let others have our pole position.

I felt Pollmans didn't appreciate that an early morning game drive isn't setting off at 7:30-8:00 after breakfast - can't blame the driver for that as it seemed to be in his itinerary, though times weren't in ours so I would have preferred and earlier start with breakfast later.

In addition, there was something very sharp sticking out of the armrest in one of the central row seats. When you are standing up whilst being driven, you are using the seating for balancing against and it stabbed my husband in the knee. Despite advising the driver, he didn't attend to it during the entire trip.

On the whole I felt Pollmans did OK, but if they are not part of a package tour then to be honest, I don't think I'd use them. Any animals you see is partly the luck of the draw, but also partly down to your driver being a great 'spotter', and I'm not really convinced ours was. Driver/vehicle condition/drive times = average score.

Perhaps my opinion is clouded by the fact that we've been on safari before and had a better driver/guide (more experienced anyway). Though if you are booked on a package tour which uses Pollmans I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure people have experienced much worse!

Visited September 2011