“The place to be while visiting Masai Mara Game Reserve”

Enchoro Wildlife Camp
Reviewed June 21, 2014

"Enchoro Wildlife Camp is just 5 minutes drive from the Oloolaimutia gate where its believed that you get to see the big five"

I must say this was a lifetime experience. I didn't expect to find the tents to be as comfortable as it was. It has always been in my mind that camps are ragged places where you bathe with cold water and carry your own sleeping bags. It has all the bedding very comfortable with flash toilets and hot and cold showers. I would recommend anybody traveling to Masai Mara to stay at Enchoro Wildlife Camp. Masai villages are also at your disposal where you can visit the Masais to be entertained and experience their culture.

Room Tip: All the rooms are just perfect
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We went to Masai Mara during 1st week of August and came to know about Enchoro through a website. Sharing my overall experience with you.
Bookings:
Booking for Enchoro can be done either online or at their office. As I was staying in Nairobi that time, so I visited their office to inquire details. Staff was courteous and friendly. We were asked that van will come to pick us up from our hotel.
Journey:
I went in a group of 7 people. Van came to pick us up from our hotel and we started at 7:45 am from Nairobi. Its close to 6 hours journey from Nairobi to Masai Mara. Our driver was good and was driving well.During the journey, you can find some beautiful landscapes. 80% of the journey has smooth road but last 20% of the journey before reaching Mara isn't good at all. Finally we reached the camp at Mara at around 2:15 pm in the afternoon.
Camp:
Camp is pretty OK. (After all it a camp :) ) Staff greeted us at the gate. There was some confusion related to allotment of room as they were over-booked. So, we had to wait for sometime. Finally we got our tents. Tent had 2 beds and attached toilet. Mosquito nets were also provided.
Food & Refreshments:
One of the major drawbacks in my opinion is they have fixed time to serve tea/coffee or refreshments (food I can understand, but not even drinks !! ). After 6 hours of journey we were really tired and needed a hot cup of tea. Manager told us that we will get FREE tea after dinner. I told him I'm not going to till that time to get a cup of tea; I was ready to pay but in vein. So be prepared for this.
Also, for vegetarian there were only 1-2 options. So, carry some light snacks with you.
THE MARA:
We were there for 2 nights and 3 days. And really nothing can beat Mara. We saw the great wilder beast migration and was really amazing. We saw the sun rise there which was really breathtaking :) No wonder people often refer Masai Mara as 8th wonder of the world !!
Pros:
Near to one of the Mara entrance gates. So saves time to into Mara early in the morning. Masai Village is close by.
Cons:
Lack of refreshments is what I did not liked.

Rest, happy journey to Mara. Enjoy !!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AnshulV
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The hotel was good value for money even though the food was very average and there was a rush to charge phones and cameras when the power was turned on in the evenings . The tents, especially the beds were comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful but there were issues with a non functional flush and leaky tap and since there was no one capable of attending to those ( a simple repair) we had to use the toilet in the adjoining tent which was unoccupied. We enjoyed a wonderful safari at the Masai Mara complete with sightings of the big five. A special mention of Tom, our efficient and endearing driver who made all the difference. We visited the nearby Masai Village which was a good experience but wish someone had warned us beforehand about getting fleeced by the Masai guide!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dreamwiks
Reviewed May 6, 2014

It was a lifetime memorable trip with my friends. We have done evening safari on the day we reached there. Next day we did full day safari, saw all Big Five and then has a wonderful dinner.
The tent has western style toilet and very good mosquito net. There was warm water shower, which was needed for morning bath, as temperature was low in morning.
The Chef has prepared special food for us, as we are used to eat spicy and well cooked food.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vineetsaurabh
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Great overall experience! We were very happy with everything, if you are looking for a budget-friendly safari, this is it. Nothing special for the food and accomodation but very helpful and nice people. Our special thanks to Kennedy our faithful driver. We would recommend this for anyone with an adventurous mind! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I and a Spanish family of three hand a kid where in Enchoro for 3 nights, as we drove from Nairobi we were expecting to rich masai mara reserve and camp outside the park.. to our suprise it turned out that even for our budget we had tent Chalets with beds and showers!
Its just 5 minutes drive to Olooimotia gate where the best game circuits to see the Cheetahs, secretary bird nests is near.. every team has there own chef and our chef was doing really well,
they haven't tempered with nature around, its also closer to the masai village as that can make your day complete after the full day game drive!
At the camp there is a knowledgeable Masai member of staff, Jonathan, very helpful with his friends Busia..
i would really recommend a stay here if you cant afford the inside lodges of the reserve..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mamalandsafaris
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I had a great experience and very happy that chosen this agency. The following three things were particilarly good:

1. Kennedy was a great driver and guide. He was very professional, knowledgeable, open and service-minded. He was careful and caring as a driver. He did his best to find animals and feel us safe and entertained. I would highly recommend him for next safari.

2. Maasai village experience was fantastic. My trip wouldn't be complete without meeting Maasai people, visiting their village and having dance with them. Moses was very helpful, open and told a lot about Maasai culture and traditions. I would also recommend visiting the village as a part of safari experience
3. When we went to Nakuru we stayed at City Max hotel, it had a good food and friendly staff

There is still a room for improvement for food in Enchoro camp. It didn't taste so much. I was also little dissapointed by the act that there were only few flamingo in Nakuru. I wish I knew when I booked that this is not the best season for flamingos. All other things were really great!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo