All reviews budget stay driver george water pump silly questions masai village days nights basic accommodation hot shower park entrance power outlets lake nakuru the reserve day safari tents were clean private bathroom camping experience packed lunch
Reviewed May 19, 2012

My rating for the camp is an average but the driver we had during our stay bumped my rating up to very good. I enjoyed my stay here. Probably not a luxury camp but definitely had all the amenities I needed. There's a toilet and shower in each tent. The lights are only on during certain times of the day so make sure you get everything you need done completed during that time. The staff was incredibly friendly and the meals were delicious (the picnic lunch was a little disappointing since the meals we had at the camp were yummy). We got off to a rough start from Nairobi (the staff at the site there were not the friendliest..) but after that our tour guide (Odus - ask for him - beyond awesome) made the trip a blast. He was incredibly knowledgeable on the animals, polite and friendly. Great guy. The camp is owned by the masai mara and I highly recommend visiting their village - it was an experience. Had a great time, felt pretty safe and had the most amazing tour guide!

Date of stay: May 2012
2  Thank Megan N
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Hi There

I stayed at Enchoro for three nights in early April 2012. Not luxurious but very adequate and economical. They have a nice bar/dining room - beer is "room temperature" - less than $2 for a 500ml bottle. The generator is shut off around 10 and starts again around 6. It's 5 minutes from the Maasai Mara Reserve gate. The food was good and there was lots of hot water for the shower. The staff made the beds and cleaned the tent each day. All in all, a very enjoyable stay. And, the Maasai Mara was alive with game (even saw Cheetahs!!)

Stan from Canada

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank stantoafrica2010
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I have booked a 5 days safari tour from Beaverline Safaris in from 13 to 17 February 2012. It took 6 hours to drive from Nairobi to there. The roads were rough. We stayed at the Enchoro Camp for 3 nights that was very near to Masai Mara National Park. It took about 5 minutes drive to the Park. The tent was comfortable and clean with good flushing system of toilet and shower with unlimited water supply despite limited supply of electricity. However, I was satisfied with the camp when I compared with those in Tanzania. The food was enough and tasty.The staff were friendly and sincere, especially, Mpusia and Daniel who were the securities there. Both of them were Masai People. They helped us to carry the heavy camera lens to the van everyday. They told us about the tradition and the culture of Masai people. They let us to take photos. The staff and Masai people spoke fluent English. My friend and I liked to stay there. I would return to stay there if I go to Masai Mara for animal migration.

3  Thank lovingworld
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed at Enchoro from 4th to 6th Feb 2012. camp is just outside the park gate,Tent was comfortable, hot water was available, food was no great shakes but adequate, our driver and guide Edward was friendly and cooperative. Ambiance at the camp is perfect, if one is fond of wilderness, we could hear hyenas roaming nearby. overall a good trip.

3  Thank Sunil B
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Enchoro safari cost USD 380.00 per person for 3 days was overall good value. We were ready for the promised 07:00am pickup however the minivan only arrived for the pickup 09:30, not a really good start, but I was not going to let anything to dampen my enthusiastic safari spirits so I went along without any mood changes! In my working life this would normally have annoyed me.

Our driver Ken more than made up for the late start with his cautious relaxing drive to Narok, with one stop for a bathroom and photo shoot at the beginning of the rift valley. The smooth drive ended a few kilometers out of Narok when we turned South with the beginning of the rough road which was to last almost until we reached the Enchoro camp. I would like to have seen a few stops to stretch, we only stopped once, and that was only because I insisted.

We arrived at the camp somewhere between 14-15.00hrs and were offered a hot but basic lunch, with instant coffee and tea. Oddly I was supplied with the promised 3 liters of water per day, but many other guests were not, and they had to buy water from the restaurant at very high prices! If you are health conscious, or require special food bring it along. What I missed was brown bread, only white bread was served which I have stopped eating quite a number of years ago.

After lunch we were given about 30 minutes to freshen up and then we went out for a late afternoon game drive, which was spectacular. Do bring a good camera with lenses (20mm to at least 400mm), with you for a really great chance to photograph Africa's best!

The next day we had an early breakfast (07:30) and were off to an all day game viewing drive. Around midday we stopped for the cold lunch. The lunch itself was basic rather dry but edible. If I were to do this safari again I would pack my own lunch and it would be much more appetizing. But again we did not starve and the drive was really worth it.

Day three was a very early affair starting with a dawn game drive, which was excellent. As a photographer this early morning light was truly the highlight of the trip. The game fully cooperated by posing all over the place. breakfast at about 08:30, then we drove back to Nairobi arriving at about 16:00hrs

What would I do differently, I would take some snacks like biscuits and cereals for breakfast and any other food that you might like, such as sandwich bread and some ham or salami as the food was rather basic and bland.

Room tip: Choose a tent that is not in the tree so you get some sunlight, otherwise you will be using a flashlight all the time. Test the hot water, as it was not working in the tent I stayed in (Ruwenzori) and was never fixed for the duration of my stay, despite my repeated requests.
5  Thank petersmg