All reviewsbudget staydriver georgepower outletslake nakuruwarm showercamping experiencerunning hot watergreat safaridining areanational parkgatetoiletelectricityaccommodationmasaikenyatents
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Enchoro safari cost USD 380.00 per person for 3 days was overall good value. We were ready for the promised 07:00am pickup however the minivan only arrived for the pickup 09:30, not a really good start, but I was not going to let anything to dampen my enthusiastic safari spirits so I went along without any mood changes! In my working life this would normally have annoyed me.

Our driver Ken more than made up for the late start with his cautious relaxing drive to Narok, with one stop for a bathroom and photo shoot at the beginning of the rift valley. The smooth drive ended a few kilometers out of Narok when we turned South with the beginning of the rough road which was to last almost until we reached the Enchoro camp. I would like to have seen a few stops to stretch, we only stopped once, and that was only because I insisted.

We arrived at the camp somewhere between 14-15.00hrs and were offered a hot but basic lunch, with instant coffee and tea. Oddly I was supplied with the promised 3 liters of water per day, but many other guests were not, and they had to buy water from the restaurant at very high prices! If you are health conscious, or require special food bring it along. What I missed was brown bread, only white bread was served which I have stopped eating quite a number of years ago.

After lunch we were given about 30 minutes to freshen up and then we went out for a late afternoon game drive, which was spectacular. Do bring a good camera with lenses (20mm to at least 400mm), with you for a really great chance to photograph Africa's best!

The next day we had an early breakfast (07:30) and were off to an all day game viewing drive. Around midday we stopped for the cold lunch. The lunch itself was basic rather dry but edible. If I were to do this safari again I would pack my own lunch and it would be much more appetizing. But again we did not starve and the drive was really worth it.

Day three was a very early affair starting with a dawn game drive, which was excellent. As a photographer this early morning light was truly the highlight of the trip. The game fully cooperated by posing all over the place. breakfast at about 08:30, then we drove back to Nairobi arriving at about 16:00hrs

What would I do differently, I would take some snacks like biscuits and cereals for breakfast and any other food that you might like, such as sandwich bread and some ham or salami as the food was rather basic and bland.

Room Tip: Choose a tent that is not in the tree so you get some sunlight, otherwise you will be using a flashlight all the time. Test the hot water, as it was not working in the tent I stayed in (Ruwenzori) and was never fixed for the duration of my stay, despite my repeated requests.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank petersmg
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I were at this camp-site as part of our Kenya Safari in the month of December. Although the main roads in Kenya are very good, part of the drive to the camp is rather rough.
The camp-site is in a very beautiful location, very rustic and great pains have been taken to keep the environment as natural as possible. The tents are very comfortable with attached bathrooms. Food is simple but good. The electrification of the camp site is very limited as it is electrified by the generators but one gets enough time to charge one's gadgets within the limited time and it truly adds to the rusticity of the area. The local Masias who run the place are truly a hospitable people-very polite and ever ready to help you. Language is not a problem as everyone speaks impeccable English. At night after the lights are out it is very peaceful to sit around the campfire and listen to the local folk lore. In all a memorable holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shenv
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This camp is perfect for a low budget traveler. There is as much food as you want, a hot shower and a toilet. For those who have travelled in Africa a little more, they know how appreciated and rare this is. The purpose of the camp is to give a great access to the Masai Mara Reserve. We have seen the most beautiful landscapes, animals. We saw everything and we paid so much less than in the luxury camps. If the purpose of your trip is to live a real african adventure, This is the Camp to choose. The staff is great and answers any need you might have. I loved my experience. I will soon go back!
I booked with this company : http://www.enchorowildlifecamp.com/
And Albert Ouko, the Director is very trustworthy.
PLUS: 5% of the price you pay goes to an orphanage really in need!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jade S
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed as part of a group tour so didn't choose this one myself. It was very basic. Tents didnt zip up (advisable if you are on safari), some of the group didn't have mosquito blankets provided, the toilet and shower were in the tent, electricity was only on for an hour or so morning and evening (suppose you have to accept that though considering where you are), the food was awful and several members of the group were sick, they didn't cater for vegetarians so people went hungry. The staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful. Only warm beer so take your own if you fancy a tipple. DIY Camping would have been more luxurious; I wouldn't recommend this camp at all.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank MissP2012
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Tents were clean and very basic; none of the window flaps in tents zipped up, netting on bed too small . Pathways were not lit up, and no flashlights provided, no electrical outlets available in tent. No choice in food selection and often served cold, poor service. Camp is beside a Masai village and run by Masai people. Find another camp if you can.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends