“Fun in the Masai Mara”

Maji Moto Eco Camp
UK
“Fun in the Masai Mara”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Maji Moto Camp is a great place to stay. I stayed there for two nights during a tour of Kenya/Tanzania in Aug/Sep 2010. It's in a terrific location, sitting on a hillside looking out across miles open country, and a good place to camp en route to the Masai Mara game reserve. Bearing in mind that this is camping in a remote location, the food and facilities were both good enough, and far better than in the public camp-sites, and the camp is well designed. This is not luxury camping, but somewhere in the middle. The Masai Mara team that run Maji Moto were so much fun and the experience is authentic (the Masai are one of only two tribes in the region that continue to live their traditional way of life, and they are very welcoming to tourists). We took a guided walk up the hill behind the camp, learnt about the different plants and the Masai culture, enjoyed terrific views across the plains, saw many small animals on our walks, took a 3 hour guided walk across the plains, learnt some archery and spear-throwing!, bathed in the hot springs, did a night game drive, did some traditional dancing and generally had a really fun time. Maji Moto was a great experience and a highlight of my trip.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We stayed 24 hours at Maji Moto on our way to the Masai Mara. The stop was well worth it as it is a different way to experience the people who live in this region, which after all is most know for its wildlife.

The camp is basic but very clean and with all the requirements needed (and even more). Stayed and saw the beatiful sun set and walk in the afternoon with our guide who informs about the masai way of living and has a very extensive knowledge on the fantastic nature that surrounds them

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Slovenia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

It was our second time to visit Kenya… these time we wanted to get closer to nature and Masai culture.
While on the trip a family with small child we have visited Maji Moto Eco Camp… what an experience.
Simple & cozy set up back to nature.
The local Masai’s with Sankale on top are running the place with all the perfection. It is unbelievable how they manage to prepare all these delicious meals not to mention the view from dining area overlooking the Mara plains. We have stayed there for 3 nights but could and will stay next time much longer as guided walks, mountain biking, local community & school visits are done on such innocent way that you feel like one of them… not only as spectator.
Night game drive we did was as well interesting as we have seen many of nocturnal animals… we were lucky to spot Ardwack, Bush babies and Bat eared foxes in plenty.
The natural spring near by is as well a heaven on earth as we were taken there in the evening lit by candlelight… at first a bit skeptic but after we simply did not want to leave and have to return next day.
Accommodation in the camp is Igloo type of tents standing size with all you need inside. The location is on the top of the hill secluded with splendid views on great landscape of Mara & wildlife.
All in all the place is currently our favorite and we shell return soon. Well done guys!!! Tanya with family

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Mombasa
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Maji Moto camp is located a few kilometers from the Masai Mara Game Reserve. I travelled with my family of four. The welcome we received from Sankale and his colleagues gave us an idea of what to expect. There is no fabrication of nature at this camp as it has used local materials for construction bringing out a good blend of nature.

The tents are adequately spacious-standing size igloo type. The beddings are fantastic that will make you sleep like a baby and forget that you are out in the plains. Not forgetting the revitalizing hot shower offered by the camp. The camp has a kitchen and its own chef who prepares a remarkably delicious food with a touch of both the local and international cuisines.

The camp has organized several activities that will give you a memorable experience. There is cycling, night game drives, culture walks and local school visits. At Maji Moto the sky meets the earth: the incorporation of the camp and the local community is beyond words. What we viewed as glamorous, was just nature and logic to the community at Maji Moto. Here nature is untouched.

Spending time with the Masai community at the Maji Moto village was fabulous. The community performed a few dances for us and also did the jumping thing and we joined in as a family. It was really amazing to see how one could jump so high within a snap of the finger. We also saw their houses which are built with cow dung and the construction is done by the women. As a family we also learnt some of the beadwork.

We had a lot of fun till we didn’t notice our departure day had arrived. Hopefully, we will be able to visit the camp some time in the future so that we can enjoy more. My advice: if you want a story to tell, then I think you should visit Maji Moto Camp

Asante!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2010

my mother and i spent a few nights at maji moto camp with Salaton Ntutu, his fabulous cooking staff, and impressive warriors in training, and it was such a wonderful experience. Sleeping in traditional masai huts is the only way to truly feel at home on the masai mara, and was very comfortable! Salaton is an elder in his community and son of the medicine woman, and his knowledge of plants, birds, animals, the land, and his culture is immense. I loved learning about plant traditional uses and the masai culture. Salaton's current goal is to start a conservency for wild animals and culturally important plants. He also offers walks and safaris.
This would be a wonderful place to volunteer. There is so much happening, and in the three years since my mum last visited, and incredible amount has been accomplished. Some of Hellen's many amazing projects include a school is on track to becoming one of the best schools in Kenya - but for those who need it the most. She also would like to soon start boarding for vulnerable children. Hellen's motto is "don't trade girls for cows" (the old marriage custom of the masai), and this school aims to provide education, teaching children to hold their culture in one hand, education in the other. There is also a widow's village, as masai women aren't allowed to remarry. More info on the projects can be found at www.majimoto.org.

• Stayed June 2010
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Jambo !

Well well, what can I say about our magical experience at Maji Moto camp. There are no words that can describe the bliss that we experienced at this gorgeous camp.

I have been to Kenya many times before, have gone on many many safaris and stayed at a good number of camps. Actually I go to Kenya and Tanzania at least twice a year. Safaris are my greatest passion. There is no feeling to match that of being in the bush, wild and natural. Majo Moto is, in my point of view, the BEST experience I have had so far. Everything from the location on a beautiful hill with amazing views, the truly passionate hospitality, the scrumptious food (which is very important to me), the drinks, the nature, etc... was brilliant. It is a camp that exists in harmony with nature.

When we first arrived at Maji Moto, which is close to the village of Maji Moto, we were greeted by a very friendly host, Sankale. I hope I spelled his name correctly. What a guy. He just exudes charm, and is one of the friendliest and most generous people I have ever met. He gathered the remainder of the staff around, introduced us to them and they all welcomed us graciously. The staff were all real Maasai people, in fact warriors. This is what I really like about this place, it is owned and run by the local community. No big foreign investors, just down to earth and nice local people. When you stay with them, you know you are experiencing the REAL culture, not touristic and not commercial.

The Tents are so beautiful and are very well made. These tents don’t even feel like tents, they are spacious, deluxe and much more enjoyable than staying in a big ugly hotel style lodge which I’ve done before. The tents can easily sleep 3. They had proper beddings, linen, mattresses and pillows. Everything and more than you’d expect from a hotel. Sanitation is well organized with warm showers and a really comfortable toilet. For me, going to the toilet is very important and here I really enjoyed it! It was spotless, clean and well equipped.

There is no electricity or a generator at the camp and this adds so much to the ambience and beauty at night. The camp is so beautifully decorated and lit with candles and lanterns, not to forget the beautiful camp fire and the millions of stars in the sky. My wife loved it becuase it was so romantic, it was enchanting. Trust me, you will not miss having power, rather you will enjoy not having it. Also, you don’t have to worry about a big, noisy and smelly generator all night! Oh not to forget, I think they have solar power so you can charge your cameras without a problem.

Now the important part, Food. Wow was the food amazing here. They cooked a fusion of local ingredients and recipes with international recipes. We feasted on delicious vegetables, bought from the local community and farmers, and some of the juciest meat I have ever had. I don’t know why, but everything tasted so so good. I forget the chef’s name but he is a wizard. The stews were so delicious and after a day of activities, there was nothing better than a cool drink and a delicious meal. Ask for a BBq when you are there it is fantastic. I even got some recipes from the camp chef! They don’t taste as good when I cook, but it brings back wonderful memories.

I think some people stay here for 2 or 3 nights whereas some stay for 2 weeks. In my point of view, the longer the better. The Maasai people are so unique in their way of living and have such interesting lifestyles, it is so interesting to learn about them. Sankale organized a trip to the local village where the Maasai people stay in mud huts called Manyattas. It was so intriguing to meet these people, learn how they live and understand their way of life. They were so friendly, so warm and so happy, unaffected by the crazy concrete jungle that we live in, in the western world. I’ve been to other camps where tourists feel a little bullyed and pressured to give out money or buy something. Here, not at all. We weren’t made to feel as rich tourists, more like guests in their home. We also visited the local school and saw how kids were studying. The kids even got together and sang us local songs. The son of other guests who were also there at the time was amazed at how different the Maasai kids grow up compared to his lifestyle in London!

There are also lots of other activities like guided walks in the Maasai Mara and to the hills, mountain bike trips and excursions to Maji Moto village. There was always lots to do here and we thoroughly enjoyed everything. One thing that I really enjoyed was sundowners on the hill looking at the beautiful views of Maasai Mara. Don’t forget a cold beer, you will love it! Also, the Night game drives are brilliant. It was exciting being driven around looking at the nocturnal animals going about their things. So different to day time drives, more exciting.

One of the best experiences I had here was the thermal springs, or the hot baths in naturally hot water, which is what Maji Moto means in Swahili. What a wonderful experience. A beautiful natural spa like a gift of nature.

All in all, this was an outstanding trip to an amazing camp. I wanted to keep my comments private because I don’t want this place to become commercialised but I feel others should share in our joy. It is a magical secret and I hope they keep everything the way it is. Lastly I want to thank the owners of Eyes on Africa Safaris, Roman & Neva & their daughter Anna, who organized the entire trip for us. They never treated us like clients, rather like friends and we felt very well taken care of wherever we went. If you book with them, let them suggest and plan itineraries for you, they are experts and know the local cultures very well. Thank you 3, you will be hearing from us very soon!

Kwaheri !

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smoke_Trees
Ljubljana
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I recommend a visit, it is a really nice place, Situated on a small hill, great view over the plains and amazing sunsets.The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Sengale tour guide, he knows a lot about animals nature and Masai culture. Food was really tasty and tents comfortable.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends