Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,161
Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,572
  • Pool
Mara Engai Wilderness Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,427
  • Breakfast included
Losokwan Camp Maasai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$832
  • Breakfast included
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
  • Breakfast included
Royal Mara Safari Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$644
$424
  • Breakfast included
Little Governors' Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,017
$970
  • Restaurant
Mara River Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$487
$450
  • Breakfast included
Neptune Mara Rianta Luxury Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsstream runningtasty drinksmaasai maraprivate tentbush dinnercomfortable tentspleasure of stayinghot waterturned downsmall riverthree nightsmorning and eveninglocal maasailions roaringgame drivesmain tentfire pit
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've never done one of these hotel reviews before, but I will in this case. I stayed at Sekenani Maasai Mara camp and someone stole money from me. They defininitely have a security problem. (They also have a very nice camp, the nicest I've seen.) I've travelled a lot and know to be careful, especially in Africa, so I lost only some cash. I kept my passport, most of my money, and other important things with me at all times. But I had a travelling moneybag with cash, and I put it carefully in a very specific place in the tent and locked the tent. When I came back from dinner two hours later, the moneybag was gone. My moneybag WAS visible at the Maasai Mara Park Gate so maybe there's something going on with one person at the gate and another in the camp who has a key? I guess I'll never know. I didn't file a complaint. Cash can't be traced, and the camp manager creeped me out. I didn't want to deal with him any more than I had to. Oh, and I didn't hear anything about a safe guests could use.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank R A
Reviewed August 22, 2011

A camp without a fence, in the Masai Mara....truly living with the animals. Very well guarded by the Masai guards, though. Personalised service as there are only 15 tents. Mr Lkapur the Manager is truly the allied C in C, and there is never a No, and not much that he cannot organise. Truly remarkable man!! ...Dixon, the best Masai guide possible. A great experience, in semi luxury. Outstanding cook, and great service with a smile......Heather had hers on, throughout...OKAY !!

Room Tip: take lower number tents, you dont have to walk too much after tipple at night
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MosheKohli
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here in July 2009 with my parents, and I think back so fondly on that trip that I felt compelled to write a review of it 2 years later. When I went to Sekenani, I had been living as an expat in Kenya for 2.5 years, and had taken several different safaris (both in the Mara and elsewhere). Our stay at Sekenani was by far the best experience I had. The camp is small and rustic, but lovingly cared for. We were taken care of wonderfully -- we flew to the camp, and then had Aden as our guide. He took us out every evening and every morning, and he was one of the most knowledgeable guides I'd ever traveled with (his specialty is birds). The food was delicious, the evening campfires were wonderful and serene, and the tents with patios over the ravine were really cool and well-kept, still maintaining a very authentic, rustic vibe. There are much fancier camps available, but they're either far more crowded and larger (and Disney-World-feeling, trust me), or much, much more expensive. This was a wonderful value for what felt like an undiscovered treasure. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LisenaD
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Kapur, the manager at Sekenani, describes his camp, one of the smallest in the Mara, as a ‘rest camp’, which sums the place up quite well. It’s an understated, different, low-key place, which may not appeal to everyone. The camp is located on a small stream on a wooded hillside about fifteen minutes from the Sekenani Gate to the Mara NP, and is outside the park. You are accordingly pretty close to the animals, but are, of course, sharing this end of the Mara with the dozens of white minivans which can only operate on the roads closest to the Gate; it is very different in the North of the Mara which is only accessible to serious 4WD vehicles. This means that you will almost certainly be sharing your Lion or Cheetah with at least a dozen other groups, not all of which will be sticking to the rules.

As for Kapur’s camp, the tents are widely spaced on the hillside, set on raised platforms deep among the trees, and perfectly comfortable, with real plumbed-in baths and constant hot water. Electricity is, however, limited to mornings and evenings for appliances (hairdryers, charging), with battery light the rest of the time. Quite cold and rainy when we were there, so the hot-water bottle was appreciated. There is a very small pool, replete with its own wildlife, unheated. The food is simple, bordering on unimaginative, with no buffet, just a couple of choices at dinner, and none at lunch, though an additional option was provided for my vegetarian wife. Birdlife around the camp is impressive, and it’s a fun place for the smaller animals. The blood-curdling screams and squawks at dusk are Tree Hyrax, which can be seen around the camp; and we had fun before dinner feeding curried chicken and cake respectively to the resident Genet Cat and Bush Babies. Slightly less charming were the Vervet Monkeys, which were frankly a nuisance, as ever, and presented a hazard at our lunch which had been thoughtfully laid for us in the garden – and this despite a defensive team of two catapult-wielding and stone-throwing junior lodge staff.

Overall, this is a nice quiet place, without frills, and pleasantly friendly and unassuming. It is made by the staff; there were only three guys ‘front of house’ and nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael424
Reviewed January 22, 2011

When our tours agent recommended this camp to us we were first skeptical considering the lodges and camps that we are used to staying at the Mara. We have been using this agent for sometime now and he has always been given us the best service. So we decided to give a chance. We arrived in Nairobi in the morning and the next day we set out for the mara. We decided to fly. Also another recommendation from this agent again. We have always been using the road. I know why he recommended that to us now. Anyway the camp is simple. Elegantly furnished. The best part is that it has been raised on platforms and you can really relax and just see the day pass by. Game drives were also lovely. We had paid everything from this side so we just went. I thank our agent in Kenya for a good service organised by him. If you want the name of the agent feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple