Mara Leisure Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$325
  • Breakfast included
Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,161
Losokwan Camp Maasai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$832
  • Breakfast included
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
  • Breakfast included
Governor's Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$948
  • Restaurant
Mara River Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$393
$363
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$664
$485
Fairmont.com
  • Breakfast included
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$389
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Sarova Mara Game Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$798
$744
$2,119
All reviewsstream runningtasty drinksmaasai maraprivate tentbush dinnercomfortable tentspleasure of stayinghot waterturned downsmall riverthree nightsmorning and eveninglocal maasailions roaringgame drivesmain tentfire pit
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here in July 2009 with my parents, and I think back so fondly on that trip that I felt compelled to write a review of it 2 years later. When I went to Sekenani, I had been living as an expat in Kenya for 2.5 years, and had taken several different safaris (both in the Mara and elsewhere). Our stay at Sekenani was by far the best experience I had. The camp is small and rustic, but lovingly cared for. We were taken care of wonderfully -- we flew to the camp, and then had Aden as our guide. He took us out every evening and every morning, and he was one of the most knowledgeable guides I'd ever traveled with (his specialty is birds). The food was delicious, the evening campfires were wonderful and serene, and the tents with patios over the ravine were really cool and well-kept, still maintaining a very authentic, rustic vibe. There are much fancier camps available, but they're either far more crowded and larger (and Disney-World-feeling, trust me), or much, much more expensive. This was a wonderful value for what felt like an undiscovered treasure. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LisenaD
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Kapur, the manager at Sekenani, describes his camp, one of the smallest in the Mara, as a ‘rest camp’, which sums the place up quite well. It’s an understated, different, low-key place, which may not appeal to everyone. The camp is located on a small stream on a wooded hillside about fifteen minutes from the Sekenani Gate to the Mara NP, and is outside the park. You are accordingly pretty close to the animals, but are, of course, sharing this end of the Mara with the dozens of white minivans which can only operate on the roads closest to the Gate; it is very different in the North of the Mara which is only accessible to serious 4WD vehicles. This means that you will almost certainly be sharing your Lion or Cheetah with at least a dozen other groups, not all of which will be sticking to the rules.

As for Kapur’s camp, the tents are widely spaced on the hillside, set on raised platforms deep among the trees, and perfectly comfortable, with real plumbed-in baths and constant hot water. Electricity is, however, limited to mornings and evenings for appliances (hairdryers, charging), with battery light the rest of the time. Quite cold and rainy when we were there, so the hot-water bottle was appreciated. There is a very small pool, replete with its own wildlife, unheated. The food is simple, bordering on unimaginative, with no buffet, just a couple of choices at dinner, and none at lunch, though an additional option was provided for my vegetarian wife. Birdlife around the camp is impressive, and it’s a fun place for the smaller animals. The blood-curdling screams and squawks at dusk are Tree Hyrax, which can be seen around the camp; and we had fun before dinner feeding curried chicken and cake respectively to the resident Genet Cat and Bush Babies. Slightly less charming were the Vervet Monkeys, which were frankly a nuisance, as ever, and presented a hazard at our lunch which had been thoughtfully laid for us in the garden – and this despite a defensive team of two catapult-wielding and stone-throwing junior lodge staff.

Overall, this is a nice quiet place, without frills, and pleasantly friendly and unassuming. It is made by the staff; there were only three guys ‘front of house’ and nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael424
Reviewed January 22, 2011

When our tours agent recommended this camp to us we were first skeptical considering the lodges and camps that we are used to staying at the Mara. We have been using this agent for sometime now and he has always been given us the best service. So we decided to give a chance. We arrived in Nairobi in the morning and the next day we set out for the mara. We decided to fly. Also another recommendation from this agent again. We have always been using the road. I know why he recommended that to us now. Anyway the camp is simple. Elegantly furnished. The best part is that it has been raised on platforms and you can really relax and just see the day pass by. Game drives were also lovely. We had paid everything from this side so we just went. I thank our agent in Kenya for a good service organised by him. If you want the name of the agent feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2010

My husband & I spent a couple of days at Sekenani Camp as part of our hectic family visit to Kenya at Christmas time.
Even before we arrived, the Nairobi Head Office staff had been very informative and interactive both online and by phone so we felt confident we'd be looked after very well. This was matched by the ground staff who met us off the plane at Mara and the staff at the camp who looked after us so well.
The camp was beautifully landscaped; our tent which had wooden floor boards, ceramic bath, electricity and hot water was kept clean at all times; the food was delicious and cooked for the international guest while maintaining local traditional recipes where possible; we had the best G&T appertifs by the camp fire and always felt safe and secure with the Maasai guards keeping an eye on the camp overnight.
We'd like to say a special Thanks to Adan, our safari guide who met us at the airstrip and on our first 2hrs showed us 3 of The Big Five plus my personal favourite the gorgeously elegant Giraffes. By the end of our 2 day stay, we'd seen a male leopard frolicking with a female; a lioness cub calling out her cubs who came running out of their den to meet their Mum; a pack of lions enjoying a tasty wilderbeest; a cheetah with her 6, yes, SIX cubs all growing beautifully and healthily. And lets not forget the elephants, zebras, buffalos, birds... We were incredibly impressed with Adan's friendliness and knowledge. He was always in control of the situations we found ourselves in.

We've already started to plan our return to Sekenani for a longer stay. We would highly recommend Sekenani Camp to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IreneAkinyi
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I have visited many camps and hotels in the Mara. Sekenani is my favorite. The peaceful setting, intimate atmosphere, attention to guests, excellent food and beautiful private tents nestled above the springs and forest, all add to its charm. Nick Wood and staff make every guest feel as if they are part of the family and pay attention to the smallest details to ensure a perfect stay. I was very impressed with the concern and care Sekenani shows for the environment and their relationship with local communities. The birding and wildlife viewing in camp and nearby are exceptional.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family