We decided to use public transport from Nairobi to the town of Naikara where we were picked up to head to Sekenani and to the camp. Our first stop from Nairobi was the town of Narok where we then picked another 'matatu' to Naikara - about 3-4 hours drive to arrive in the little town of Naikara where our friends, Dr. Koshal and his wife, who are co-owners of Oldarpoi Mra Camp picked us. Using public transport was an experience and a half - one we shall never forget. It takes a bit longer though and the ride a bit rough but you get an early chance to begin to interact with the community long before you arrive in the Mara. I have since written a story of some of the experinces we had on my travel blog for those who may wish to read more here http://www.enchanted-landscapes.com/el_travelogue/archives/1367 and here http://www.enchanted-landscapes.com/el_travelogue/archives/1377
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oldarpoi Mara camp, is operated in partnership with the local Maasai community. The camp is concerned with the welfare of the local community .Our vision is to transform the local community, socially and economically.We support the Ole keene primary school with teacher's salaries, children sponsorship programs etc.The school has more than 300 children and we built classrooms for them including a rescue center unit to accommodate young girls running away from cultural practices such Female Genital Mutilation ( FGM ) and early marriage.We also plan to establish a community library which will include a learning center and conservation projects.Guests who would like to volunteer in any of our projects as part of a unique safari experience are highly encouraged to do so..This will make a difference to the community.The camp has permanent tents with beds, bedding, complete solar Water heating and lighting system, flush toilets and hot showers - all the trappings of home! We are also an accomplished safaris outfitter with best trained Maasai guides! We offer safaris and tours to different destinations throughout East Africa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Oldarpoi Mara Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oldarpoi Maasai Safari Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Oldarpoi Mara Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve