This was a true Masai experience. The camp is owned by Masai, the staff are mainly Masai and you are surrounded by the Masai people. The location is just outside the Masai Mara Reserve and very near Masai villages. The tented rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and warm at night, and the showers are hot (solar panels in place). Mosquito netting is over each bed but we did not experience any bugs! The view from many of the tents is breathtaking! The food is very tasty, thanks to Willy the chef! He makes the best breakfast crepes! Tea is available all day long! The staff is very welcoming,friendly and eager to make sure all your needs are met. They are also patient with all out thousands of questions about the Masai and the area. Best of all, the camp is always being updated and the proceeds from the camp have gone into building local schools for 300 children and offering scholarships to young Masai that are interested in Tourism and Hospitality. A boarding school for girls is being planned in the near future. Nelson, Cosmos, and Jeremiah (all Masai) took us out on safari and made sure that we got to see as many animals as possible. They were also very knowledgeable about the animals eg, mating, habitat, predators, etc. We were also escorted over to see the village and the schools that have been built and a cultural tour of one of the Masai villages (cost $20 and well worth it). My husband and his friend are runners and wanted the experience of running with a Masai warrior. No problem, Nelson arranged for two Masai to run with them. It was a memorable thrill for both of them. There may be many luxurious camps in the Masai but this simple comfortable camp is well worth the stay. Like the other reviewers we highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oldarpoi Mara camp, is operated in partnership with the local Maasai community. The camp is concerned with the welfare of the local community .Our vision is to transform the local community, socially and economically.We support the Ole keene primary school with teacher's salaries, children sponsorship programs etc.The school has more than 300 children and we built classrooms for them including a rescue center unit to accommodate young girls running away from cultural practices such Female Genital Mutilation ( FGM ) and early marriage.We also plan to establish a community library which will include a learning center and conservation projects.Guests who would like to volunteer in any of our projects as part of a unique safari experience are highly encouraged to do so..This will make a difference to the community.The camp has permanent tents with beds, bedding, complete solar Water heating and lighting system, flush toilets and hot showers - all the trappings of home! We are also an accomplished safaris outfitter with best trained Maasai guides! We offer safaris and tours to different destinations throughout East Africa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Oldarpoi Mara Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oldarpoi Maasai Safari Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Oldarpoi Mara Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve