“SO MUCH MORE THAN I EVER IMAGINED!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oldarpoi Mara Camp

Oldarpoi Mara Camp
Seattle, Washington
“SO MUCH MORE THAN I EVER IMAGINED!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I cannot tell you how much I loved my stay here. It was truly amazing and the people are so incredibly kind. Also, I didn't know this before the trip but this is the first camp that is actually run by the Masaai and where portion of the proceeds goes back to the community. Nelson, the owner, is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. I felt honored to spend some time with him and hear his story and his love for the his people. I highly recommend this camp.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sevierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I cannot say enough about Oldarpoi Maasai Safari Camp.. When you stay there you actually feel as if you're staying in the incredible Kenyan wilderness (because you are!) and you are instantly at comfortable, worry-free ease.

Service:
When we arrived, we were greeted at the road by two men who carried our luggage to the camp a short distance away, at which we were greeted by hot towels and hot tea.. And that was the kind of service we experienced our entire time there!

Food:
The chef is great and if you've never had goat before, you're in for a treat!

We stayed in a large canvas tent with an attached bathroom, including a western style toilet and hot shower. The tent had two beds, which were very comfortable, and mosquito nets are provided (though I don't remember mosquitos being a problem).

Value:
At $70 a night, you just can't beat the price to experience value. If I had a choice, I would pick Oldarpoi over the $1,000 night resorts any day!

Safari:
As far as the actual safari goes, I can't imagine doing it any other way than through Oldarpoi.
First, we were guided by Maasai native and camp owner, Nelson Reiyia. Second, we rode in what you would imagine to be the perfect safari vehicle. It was a large Land Rover with soft, rollup walls and roof (like a Jeep) so it becomes completely open all around you AND you can stand freely. Trust me, this is the only way to go! I felt such pity for the rest of the groups out there that were crammed into small Japanese passenger vans!
Third, Nelson and his crew really know there way around the park.. they knew exactly where to take us to see every animal you can imagine.

The BEST part:
Any extra proceeds from the safari camp go to support a school for 200 children in the local community, along with a project for girls wishing to escape FGM (Female Genitalia Mutilation)!

Verdict:
GO TO OLDARPOI SAFARI CAMP!! It will be one of the most memorable experiences of your lifetime! And you will know that your trip helped bring education and safety to many local Maasai children!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickmondell
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Great fun and loving time. We all became family in a few days. Great safari, staff, accommodations, and food. Totally awesome.

• Stayed February 2011
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

This camp has equal amounts of authenticity and comfort.
The people who run the camp are real Masais, so we were able to visite their village to see how they live, which was a treat.
I was very impressed with the spacious tent we had. It contained 2 comfortable beds w mosquito nets, zip up the back part for a real bathroom. It had a real toilet, sink and hot shower.
The staff was very sweet and did everything they could to make us comfortable.
We went on Safari in a large jeep and were able to see all animals we were hoping to see.
The Masai guides had very good eyes seeing the animals from a far distance.

Thank you Oldarpoi Maasai Safari Camp for this unforgetable experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Flin Flon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I went to Masai Mara in December/10, with my fiance & friends. It was an amazingly beautiful place! I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants the experience of a lifetime. The camp accommodations were very comfortable & the staff went above and beyond to make us comfortable. The food was great, and our safari experience was like nothing we could have imagined. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth!!! We do plan to return one day with the hopes of staying longer. Thanks to Nelson & everyone who made it possible for us to come on such short notice! It was greatly appreciated!

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovesKenya
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife and I came to Kenya for our honeymoon and worked with Nelson to make our masaii mara experience special. A few things:
-if you want authentic Kenyan and Masaii, this is your place. It's not plush/decadent like pillows and rugs and butlers like some camps. It centers around being authentic. As a former Peace Corps Volunteer in Kenya, I was looking forward to showing my wife the "Real Kenya" but was worried it would be too rustic to someone who hasn't been to Africa before. Turns out, it was comfortable and authetic, and Meg loved it as much as me.
-the staff is really, really nice. They are real Kenyans who have stories and aspirations themselves.
-The game drives were great. Meg and I get a little bored with sitting for hours on end, but Nelson and the driver Jimmy made it fun. We saw soooo many animals. Our favorite view was a cheetah family.
-The best part of our 2 night stay hands down was our walk to the nearby Masaii boma. We got some great dancing, saw their way of life, and bought some crafts. It was one of the best expereinces of my entire honeymoon actually.
-Meg and I overall recommend this place to someone who is looking to be pampered but wants to discover authentic Kenya. Nelson is a straightforward guy who will give it to you straight.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobPlace
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

If you’re looking for a personnal adventure, if you feel like being part of a family and have great discussion with masaïs about their culture, this is THE place to go! Oldarpoi camp is more than charming. And what I can say about the staff ? Incredibly friendly and devoted. A rare kind of generosity. Now, I have to call them my friends!

I stayed there for 7 days and it was my best trip ever. The safari i did with Nelson, the owner, was authentic. He was borned near the Masaï Mara gates, so he knows everything about this land!

The best thing is the money is that your money will serve the community!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends