“all round first rate experience”
Review of Offbeat Mara Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Offbeat Mara Camp
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We were given a first rate experience in this authentic, small camp which gives you a real feel of being close to wild animals while being looked after very well. Excellent staff from camp managers to massai guides. Lovely tent with excellent view. Delicious food including lunch and breakfast in the bush. Driven and walking safaris got us really close to animals, and taught us so much more about our surroundings. We were asked what we wanted to do and looked after at every turn. Could not have asked for more!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Thank you very much for your review here and it's great to hear that you had such a lovely time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara and the rest of the team.

It's nice to hear that you appreciated the standard of our staff as they really take pride in their work. Great to hear that you enjoyed lunch and breakfast in the bush and the walking Safaris which do get you a lot closer to the animals and do teach you so much more about your surroundings, as you say. And lovely to hear that you enjoyed the tents and the view that allows you to spot wildlife without even having to leave your tent.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Let me begin by saying that this is one of the best values to be found in the Masaai Mara -- we loved being in the North Conservancy. The tents are rustic but comfortable with chic details. The food is thoughtful, plentiful and high quality. Your glass is literally never empty and no requests go unmet -- sundowner and night drive a MUST!!! Most of all, the guides are incredible. There is a spotter and driver in every vehicle (which is rare) and this really increases your chances of seeing wildlife. The game drives are endless -- you never feel like you are rushed or on a schedule and any requests in terms of start and end times were accommodated. Make sure you ask for breakfast on the river by the Hippos!!! Amazing! The one thing to consider is what type of experience you are looking for. While we loved the intimacy of a small camp the vibe at Offbeat Mara is very social. While you can absolutely stay in your tent or arrange to have private meals, the "mess tent" area is very communal and it is hard to find a quiet place to read and all meals at camp are family style. Again, this is not a complaint but it is something to consider based on your preference and who you are with. We were only there for one night, but had we been there longer we would have asked for an intimate dinner for just our friends so we could have some private time. Consider doing this if you are in a small group and the camp is full.

Room Tip: We stayed in tent #4 (family tent) which was PERFECT for three people -- either three friends or a c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erica B
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

It's nice to hear that you appreciated the standard of our guides as they are some of the best guides around and really take pride in their work and also having both a spotter and a guide along on game drives, it does increase your chances of seeing wildlife as you say . And yes Mara North Conservancy goes from strength to strength and it is a beautiful part of the Mara. Great to hear that you enjoyed the sundowners, night drives and breakfast on the river by the Hippos as well. And you are right, dinner is usually held in the Mess tent and everyone sits together but guests are more than welcome to request a private dinner.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

had the best three nights, what a great camp , and so well placed in such a beautiful part of the mara, Kyle and Lara excellent job hosting, incredible bush walks and excellent food, loads of animals .

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

It's nice to hear that you appreciated the camps layout and placement and yes Mara North Conservancy goes from strength to strength and it is a beautiful part of the Mara as you say. Great to hear that you enjoyed the bush walks with Kyle and saw loads of animals.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My partner and I spend 3 wonderful nights at Mara Offbeat. We were looking for 3 nights out of Nairobi before the arrival of our first born next month and our stay there was everything and more than we were hoping for. The camp was just what you would want on a luxury bush safari, tents were clean, spacious and comfortable. Food was excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the managers, Kyle and Lara were excellent company and made every effort to make sure I was comfortable and had all I needed. Being a avid walker myself and and my partner a keen fisherman Kyle tailor made us a bush walk to accommodate my being 8 months pregnant which also tied in a lovely rest stop where the fishing was plentiful...not to mention all the game we saw both on our walk and from our tent! It was an all round authentic safari experience with good dose of luxury and pampering! Thanks Offbeat Mara

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review and lovely to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara and the rest of the team.

It's great to hear that you saw so many animals right from your tent, enjoyed the spacious tents and the food. And lovely to hear that Kyle did such a good job putting together a walk/fishing trip for you and your husband to both enjoy. Also Congratulations in advance on the arrival of your first born next month!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at three different camps in Kenya and think Offbeat Mara is the absolute best! Our camp hosts, Kyle and Lara are a charming couple who look after every need you might encounter. The food was wonderful and the whole feel of the camp is very friendly and fun. The tents are spacious and clean and the laundry service is great. Our guide, David, and spotter Keemonee, were outstanding. They did everything they could to make sure we saw what we came to see. We saw plenty right from our tent's veranda! We saw zebra, buffalo, gazelles, wildebeest, giraffes, elephants and even lions from our tent, and we heard them too!
We finished off our visit with a lovely Sundowner that Kyle and Lara arranged for all of us. It was a trip of a lifetime and we are certainly glad that Offbeat was part of it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review and great to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara, David and the rest of the team.

It's great to hear that you saw so many animals right from your tent's veranda during your stay and that you enjoyed the camps friendly and fun atmosphere. And lovely to hear that you enjoyed your sundowners.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

My wife and I went to Kenya with another young couple for a holiday, it was the first time any of us had been on safari. After a fantastic 4 nights at Offbeats -Sosian Lodge, we arrived at Offbeat Mara camp. The whole experience was first class. Kyle and Lara were wonderful hosts, the camp had a really friendly feel to it, the staff were all efficient and polite and really happy people. The wildlife exceeded all our expectations. We saw all that we had hoped for and a great deal more. The quality and quantity of wildlife was brilliant. We particularly enjoyed having local Maasai guides and spotters. Joseph and Kapeen were brilliant and we grew very fond of them, their knowledge of the countryside was thorough and they had a great sense of humour. They also gave us a real insight into the local culture - a real highlight being when we visited a local Maasai village. A credit to all involved.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review and great to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara, Joseph, Kapeen and the rest of the team.

It's great to hear that you saw so many animals during your stay and that you enjoyed the camps friendly atmosphere and were well looked after. And lovely to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the local Masai village.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at the Offbeat Mara Camp in early April. As it was my first safari, I can't necessarily compare this experience to others, but overall, it was lovely.

The camp is simply/rustically decorated, but immaculately kept. My tent was very clean, and I personally liked that the camp tries to conserve as much as possible--we had re-usable water bottles and Kyle, the camp manager, explained that the camp can be completely taken down with little damage to the environment.

Kyle, the manager, was great. He listened carefully to any concerns guests had and was also very accommodating, as I had to take a few business calls while I was there.

Food was lovely, but portions were too large (a good or a bad thing, depending on your preferences), as the food was generally already plated when served.

This camp is in the Mara North, a conservation area. It is more isolated and was therefore fantastic in that you were generally "alone" in the car--I rarely saw other cars or people, so it really gave the feeling of isolation.

A few suggestions/items of note:
As I mentioned, this camp is in a more isolated area--a good thing, generally, for these types of trips. However, while I was told that there was slow wifi available at the camp, I was not told that there would be no cell phone service in any area in the camp. When I found this out, I quickly had to figure out how to contact a few coworkers and let them know what was going on, as I had promised to be available (albeit on a minimal basis). As well, as a solo female traveler, I would have felt more comfortable knowing there was a number I could give to people to get in touch with me. Again, while I think it's great that the camp is isolated, had I known there would be no cell service ahead of time, I would

Our spotter seemed generally distracted on the first day and not very interested in showing us animals. Luckily, the other women in my car were very good at spotting animals. When confronted, Kyle was extremely responsive and promised to speak to our spotter, who improved afterwards.

If you are traveling alone, I would ensure that the camp has other residents (since it is a small camp) for the same weekend--it would have likely been very awkward to be the only person at the camp.

Overall, great experience--one I will never forget!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thank you very much for your review here and it's lovely to hear that you had a lovely time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will pass your comments on to Kyle and the rest of the team.

It is nice to hear that you appreciated the camps use of re-usable water bottles and that it is as unobtrusive to the environment as possible. And yes Mara North Conservancy goes from strength to strength and you can keep away from the crowds as you say. Apologies for the lack of cell phone service, the camp is in a remote area and unfortunately there is not a strong signal.

Hope to see you back in the Mara soon.