As experienced safari enthusiasts, with a son and family in Kenya, we booked four days at the relatively new Ilkiane safari adventure camp. After a short trouble free trip with KenyaAir, not to be confused with Air Kenya, we landed at Wilson airstrip. We were safely met by a cheerful guide with vehicle and taken some ten minutes down the road to Ilkiliane (the name means "young warrior" in Masai ), where we were greeted in a reception tent, by a colourful Masai, who spoke good English, given a refreshing drink and wash/wipe, then taken immediately to a brand new tented setup, with a comfortable (new) double bed for us, beside the TALEK river.
We have been here four days, with cheerful staff, appetising but not luxurious food, cold drinks on call and an excellent guide/driver - Simon - one of several, who speaks good English.
The safari programme is very flexible, with early morning, afternoon and evening drives out into the Mara. As said before, we have done the Mara a few times and this has been a really enjoyable experience for us, able to go at whatever pace we feel like and seeing all the big game animals, plus a hundred more, with birds and butterflies thrown in.
Prices have gone up a bit, mainly due to a reduction in tourists caused by the perceived terrorist attacks. However to put this in context as an ex military man, the risk is negligible and no more than stepping off the pavement in any city!
Heartily recommended as a get away from it all sort of place, with nature in abundance and charming hosts. I give it three to four stars, out of five. Not luxury, which we did not want, but really good fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a riverine forest in the Masai Mara Game Reserve, the area is a favourite for elephants coming to drink from the Talek River. Ilkeliani camp consists of only 17 tents, each commanding views of the plains and the wildlife action throughout the day. The tented rooms are raised up slightly on earth mounds, overlooking the river and the plains. These mounds are covered in vegetation, and feel quite natural, and each one has been sited under its own cluster of shady indigenous trees and you do feel like you are out in the wilderness. The camp now has a suspension bridge for easy access to the reserve for early game drives ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Ilkeliani Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ilkeliani Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Ilkeliani Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve