This was our first safari, so we cannot compare to any other camps, but we loved Ilkeliani. Where to start? Of course, the game drives were amazing, and the jeep we used was particularly good because it was open, but it did have a roof, so you felt much more interactive with the surrounding environment and animals, but well protected as well. Our tent was wonderful - the king-size bed was very comfortable, and there were plenty of covers for the cool evenings. The shower and toilet were unexpectedly good. We did have a problem with a leaking sink, but it was fixed very quickly once we reported it. The housekeeping service was twice daily, usually while we were on our game drives. Our tent, like most of them, overlooked the river. We enjoyed sitting outside, trying to read, but being distracted by the amazing bird and animal life in the camp (nothing too scary, though). The food was very good. We are definitely foodies, and we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and presentation. Perhaps not a great gourmet experience, but certainly delicious and beautifully presented. We loved the bar tent, and enjoyed a drink there before dinner each night. But by far the best part of Ilkeliani is the staff - from the safari and nature guides to the dining room staff, to the housekeeping staff, to our Masaii warrior escorts (who also patrolled the camp at night) - everyone was friendly, efficient, helpful, and caring. I arrived at Ilkeliani suffering from a pretty bad intestinal problem, and everyone showed concern and asked about me (word must get around quickly). One of the bar/restaurant guys even made me a special drink one night to help restore my electrolytes. All in all, one of the best travel experiences of my life. We would go back to Ilkeliani in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a riverine forest in the Masai Mara Game Reserve, the area is a favourite for elephants coming to drink from the Talek River. Ilkeliani camp consists of only 17 tents, each commanding views of the plains and the wildlife action throughout the day. The tented rooms are raised up slightly on earth mounds, overlooking the river and the plains. These mounds are covered in vegetation, and feel quite natural, and each one has been sited under its own cluster of shady indigenous trees and you do feel like you are out in the wilderness. The camp now has a suspension bridge for easy access to the reserve for early game drives ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Ilkeliani Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ilkeliani Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Ilkeliani Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve