Ilkeliani Camp
Losokwan Camp Maasai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$832
$310
  • Breakfast included
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
$658
  • Breakfast included
Mara Serena Safari Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$559
  • Breakfast included
Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,370
$1,181
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$427
$389
  • Breakfast included
Mara Leisure Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$269
  • Breakfast included
Neptune Mara Rianta Luxury Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$998
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Entumoto Safari Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$603
Mara Engai Wilderness Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,543
$1,427
$2,119
All reviewstalek riverhot waterobservation deckmasai marasuspension bridgegame drivesspecial mention must be madenature walkthe reservebird lifecomfortable bedsafter darkan adventurecheetah killreception areasolar powernational park
Reviewed January 21, 2013

... And I lived in Kenya for 7 years. I have probably been on 5 to 7 safaris, depending on how much time spent with an actual guide you would say counts as a safari. I moved back to the States for college and when I returned for a short visit to Nairobi in 2010 (not 2012, I just can't go back further on the time scale provided), my parents booked our family here and I must say, it was gorgeous and luxurious. We happened to be there at a time when there were no other families either, so that was an added bonus. Although, the tents aren't particularly close to each other so it probably wouldn't have mattered if there had been other people. The tents are spacious, they make the beds every day, bring you hot tea or coffee in the morning as a wake-up call and leave a hot water bottle under the covers at the end of the bed every night. It was simply amazing. I forgot I was staying in a tent rather than a hotel. The food was amazing and fresh and the staff was very knowledgable (with good English skills, I might add). I really couldn't say enough about Ilkeliani. I'm just sad that I had never heard of it until just a couple years ago. Amazing place. It's my first suggestion to anyone safari-ing in Kenya.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed in several camps when we were in Kenya. This one was by far the favorite. And from looking at the pictures they just keep improving. Romantic, accommodating, fabulous. Can't say enough good things about this place. The phots are not imaginary, this really is what it looks like...in fact it is even better in person. I liked it so much I want to go back again..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have not been to other safaris, so I cannot properly compare this to other safari experiences, but I found Ilkeliani to be thoughtfully conceived and well executed. There are a number of cultural and environmental hazards foreign tourists encounter when traveling to a place like the Mara, but Ilkeliani does everything it can to ensure visitors have an enjoyable, even luxurious, stay while leaving the lightest possible footprint on the environment and assisting the fragile local economy.

First, the basics: The camp is very comfortable. The tents have foundations and furniture, but are real tents. There have hot water and flush toilets, but it's a more rustic experience than staying in a lodge. The individual tents are a fair distance from the communal areas (dining tent, lounge tent, etc), so one has the sense of being alone with the chirping frogs and things that go bump in the night.

The food was quite good, especially considering that everything must be flown into the camp from Nairobi. They clearly work a lot of the same ingredients into several dishes out of necessity, so one should not expect a broad selection of options at every meal, but we were not disappointed. They were even quite accommodating: I emailed several days in advance to request vegetarian meals, and the vegetarian meals provided were very enjoyable.

For tree-huggers: We saw cheetahs, a rhino, elephants, giraffes, buffaloes—the works—but throughout our game driver seemed very responsible, even chastising other drivers who crept too close to the game. (Though we still got very, very close.)

The camp's electricity and hot water come from solar cells, and the waste appears to be well handled. I've read that poorly maintained "eco-camps" will attract marabou storks, which like to feed on the food waste, but there were no signs of any such garbage-feeders.

For people-huggers: There is something distasteful about descending into a foreign place and gawking at its natives, but the camp goes out of its way to foster real interaction with the local Maasai and to support the local community. Maasai from the nearby village are invited to perform dances and sell their wares at the camp, and visitors are encouraged to go to pay the village a visit. Be warned: the village tour does apply pressure on visitors to purchase souvenirs, but we walked away empty-handed without too much hassle.

The village tour is also an elegant solution to a problem I've read about in other Maasai areas, where the locals' income derives largely from asking or demanding payment for photographs taken of them. This actually seems fair, if you ask me (they are part of the attraction and should be compensated, plus the safari economy has disrupted their traditional way of life, making a cash income very important, etc.), but tourists often take umbrage, and unhappiness ensues. With the village tour, visitors are asked for a donation in advance (something like $25 per person), with money going directly to the community, and then visitors are welcome to take as many photos as they like.

Ilkeliani also hires Maasai as staff, and they are friendly and welcome questions about their culture, so it is a real opportunity to learn and interact.

Again, I have not been on other safaris, but this experience was tremendous, and highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R071
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I spent five wonderful nights at the Ilkeliani Camp in Massai Mara in October and can not praise it enough for the incredible experience that we had. The Camp is well situated on the border of the Masai Mara Reserve, making easy entrance into the park. The Safari drives were spectacular! We saw all of the big five and more, including 12 lions in one day, 30 elephants, cheetahs, leopards, hippos, etc. The safari guides were outstanding!!! The camp was also very nice, with beautiful and comfortable accommodations. The hospitality staff was first rate as were the meals. All in all a great place and highly recommended. Dale & Suzanne

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank needles_dale
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved every minute of our stay here! The tents were spotless, comfortable and had a very private veranda. The camp itself is peaceful, relaxing and homely. The food was amazing, we cleared our plates every night! As a vegetarian, I was amazed at the food provided and the attention that was paid to my food. Nothing was a hassle! The staff were amazing, always on hand, discreetly. I would stay here again, for longer next time! Only tip is to bring a decent flashlight, one is provided, but didn't work properly. Loved, loved, loved my stay here!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends