My new wife and I stayed here for 3 nights between 10-13th October 2012 for part of our honeymoon which has included staying at 6 different safari lodges.
I have to say they have all been fantastic but ilkeliani has been by far and away the best.
First of the setting is amazing, it's beautiful river canyon running right out side the tents is wonderful and full of wildlife. Laying there at night listening to lions, hyenas and zebra was the most fantastic feeling.
The tents themselves are really well done with wonderful beds and very very good showers (better than nearly every other place we have stayed)
The food is very very good and I couldn't fault it at all it was really nice especially eating the lunches outside by the river canyon. Also my wife who is vegetarian stated that it was the best veggie food she had had in Africa.
Lastly the staff, each and everyone was delightful they were always smiling and interesting. They were very professional yet chatty and fun. I actually felt sad when it came time to leave them and I know my wife felt the same.
I couldn't recommend this site more, I urge anyone who loves nature, camping and Africa to go stay there.
Also try the hot air balloon ride over the mara. We did it and it was one of the best things I have ever done I loved very second if it.
As soon as I have saved enough I will be returning to ilkeliani for another stay!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a riverine forest in the Masai Mara Game Reserve, the area is a favourite for elephants coming to drink from the Talek River. Ilkeliani camp consists of only 17 tents, each commanding views of the plains and the wildlife action throughout the day. The tented rooms are raised up slightly on earth mounds, overlooking the river and the plains. These mounds are covered in vegetation, and feel quite natural, and each one has been sited under its own cluster of shady indigenous trees and you do feel like you are out in the wilderness. The camp now has a suspension bridge for easy access to the reserve for early game drives ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Ilkeliani Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ilkeliani Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Ilkeliani Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve