We spent three nights at Karen Blixen and were treated as if we were at a private house party for the weekend. The staff were so friendly and even the manager, Gerald, came to personally greet us and, in due course, wave us off. The setting by the Mara river is just perfect. As we arrived an elephant was just wandering along the far bank and a resident "herd" of Hippo were bathing and playing in the water below the terrace. We had lunches watching impala and baboon and a leopard came down to drink one afternoon ( I've heard!) whilst we were out on a game drive. It is an amazing experience to lie on an Oldy worldy chaise longue on your private deck watching the game wander along the river bank or drink morning tea within a stone's throw of a crocodile basking in the sun. The "tents" have electricity, hot water bottles at night, and proper flush toilets. - feast your eyes on the website but it is even better when you get there. Drinks by the open fire in the evening and a cosy lounge area to exchange stories with fellow guests add to the intimate yesteryear ambiance. We loved it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Karen Blixen Camp in the Masai Mara offers an authentic ’yesteryear’ experience for visitors wishing to gain that little extra from their safari. Set on the bank of the Mara River; the location is spectacular. Throughout the day elephants, giraffes, zebras and impalas come for a drink while a large hippo pod rest lazily in the river. The Camp gives a feeling of the early 1920’s era with beautiful and comfortable furniture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Karen Blixen Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Karen Blixen Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve