We ended our 3 week Kenyan honeymoon with 3 days, 2 nights at Karen Blixen Camp and are so glad we did!! We came here at the start of the off season (end of October), so our experience may have been influenced by the lack of guests on the grounds, as well. This was the best place we stayed in Kenya!
Our tent was private enough yet not too secluded and faced the sunrise every morning, providing the perfect backdrop to our daily coffee greeting by the incredibly friendly staff. Our tent was clean and so very comfortable. Everyone at Karen Blixen was so friendly, always made sure we were taken care of. We spent our off hours wondering the grounds and enjoying conversations with the people of Karen Blixen. The pool area is nice and was just big enough to enjoy space yet provided a chance to get to know other guests.
The food was great, no complaints other than we left very full every night and were very impressed with the options. We received 5 start service for every meal. The view from the dining/common area provides a stellar view of the river with hippos, zebra and other wildlife cooling themselves daily. There were many other couples staying at Karen Blixen but also a good mix of families with older children.
Masai Mara is such a special park and provided us with a memorable and magical experience that will last a lifetime. Our safari guide, Tony, was fantastic, made us feel very comfortable and was accommodating and we left with a great friend and a wealth of knowledge! We had a private vehicle, with it being our honeymoon, and were able to really enjoy our time on safari. Tony took good care of us and made sure we saw almost everything we dreamed of seeing. We were able to spot everything from leopard, elephant, zebra, ostrich, giraffe, cheetah, lions, gazelle, and so many of bird varieties it was hard to keep count.
If you have any interest and are able to do so, we highly recommend taking a hot air balloon safari. You have to wake up super early, but the balloon ride was by far, the most AMAZING experience we've ever had!! To see the landscape from the air is a completely different experience and since we were there during the Great Migration, we landed amongst hundreds of thousands of wildabeests.
We couldn't have been more pleased with the staff, accommodations, food, wildlife, privacy, and overall vibe. Very, very cool place and we highly recommend staying at Karen Blixen Camp!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Karen Blixen Camp in the Masai Mara offers an authentic ’yesteryear’ experience for visitors wishing to gain that little extra from their safari. Set on the bank of the Mara River; the location is spectacular. Throughout the day elephants, giraffes, zebras and impalas come for a drink while a large hippo pod rest lazily in the river. The Camp gives a feeling of the early 1920’s era with beautiful and comfortable furniture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon and Agoda so you can book your Karen Blixen Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Karen Blixen Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve