From the moment I stepped off the plane in the Mara North Conservancy to the moment I bid farewell to new friends some days later, the staff at Karen Blixen Camp (KBC) provided me with a superlative and unforgettable time. Situated adjacent a waterhole, along the banks of the Mara River, one could simply sit on the verandah all day long and watch the parade of giraffes, warthogs, impalas and others as the resident hippos provide endless fascination. But better to go on the 'game drives' to experience the incredible natural diversity of the fascinating Mara
North Conservancy - a remarkable private 'reserve' where vast numbers of wildlife seem to co-exist well with the landowners, the Masai, and their livestock. From the luxurious tented cabin, with balcony-like deck, one hears the flow of the river and the calls of several types of birds. Solar-heated showers cleanse one after a drive or perusal of the lovely grounds on foot. The staff were fantastic to a person, always graciously extending every courtesy, and the food exceptional. All of the guides are Masai, as are many of the other employees, and the relationship between KBC and the local landowners is one of mutual benefit. Innovative projects - such as the forestry and IT training and cooking classes - may serve as models for the region. This was without a doubt among the very best places I have ever had the privilege to visit (and I am a widely traveled naturalist/field biologist).
Very special thanks go to Sunil for his kindness and companionship, to Dominic and Nicholas for being such excellent and knowledgeable guides, to Sharon, Lilian, Susan, and Kisaka, and so many others, for the best hospitality imaginable. A simply fabulous place in a magnificent wild setting with equally fabulous people -- a place that I cannot recommend enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Karen Blixen Camp in the Masai Mara offers an authentic ’yesteryear’ experience for visitors wishing to gain that little extra from their safari. Set on the bank of the Mara River; the location is spectacular. Throughout the day elephants, giraffes, zebras and impalas come for a drink while a large hippo pod rest lazily in the river. The Camp gives a feeling of the early 1920’s era with beautiful and comfortable furniture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Karen Blixen Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Karen Blixen Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve