I visited Karen Blixen Camp (KBC) in June 2012 as part of an 11-day photo safari trip in Kenya & Tanzania. We visited 5 different park areas, with the Masai Mara/ Mara North Conservancy as our final park. Our 3 night stay here at KBC was the perfect "crown jewel" in our safari experience. We were greeted by Martin, the camp's wonderful Danish co-owner (opened in 2007) and equally friendly & gracious asst. manager, Sharon. The camp evokes peace and casual elegance with its beautiful setting on the Mara River, complete with a resident pod of hippos, and lovely public areas (dining room, lounge and bar). My large "tented camp" room was heavenly - with a spacious wooden deck with river views, nice furniture, a large bathroom and "open air" shower. The whole camp evoked a feeling of "Out of Africa" which was clearly their intent and I loved their "true" eco-responsible focus (both in how they built the camp, such as using only solar power and how they work with and employ the local Masai villagers). The food was gourmet and all of the camp staff were great. KBC's safari jeeps (6 passenger) and driver guides were excellent. Our group enjoyed a sunrise balloon ride over the Masai Mara (wonderful, including the post-ride champagne breakfast) and some people made a visit to a local Masai village to experience the Masai's very different and fascinating culture. Our short time at Karen Blixen passed much too quickly but my vivid memories of this lovely place will always remain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Karen Blixen Camp in the Masai Mara offers an authentic ’yesteryear’ experience for visitors wishing to gain that little extra from their safari. Set on the bank of the Mara River; the location is spectacular. Throughout the day elephants, giraffes, zebras and impalas come for a drink while a large hippo pod rest lazily in the river. The Camp gives a feeling of the early 1920’s era with beautiful and comfortable furniture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Agoda, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Karen Blixen Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Karen Blixen Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve