“Great place ”

Mara Leisure Camp
Blythewood, South Carolina
“Great place ”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Luxury tent camping. Great staff. Loved the poster twin beds with mosquito net canopies. We loved the bartender and our waitress. The food had the Most variety of anywhere we stayed in Kenya and I thought it was the best variety. Loved listening to the cattle bells in the morning and evenings of the herders taking their cattle to graze in the park. Elizabeth the massage therapist was great. The pool is small but secluded. The only negative was it appeared our tent did not get stocked with new shampoo and lotion. The ones in there were half used and we never got new ones. VERY convenient to a Masai village you can visit and within the great Masai Mara with all it's beauty and wild animals. The elephants came to visit us the morning we left which was spectacular.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pune, India
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in Mara Leisure Camp in mid july. We were put in jumbo tents. The tent was spacious, had comfortable bed. The bathroom was big, had bath tub and shower room.
The room was clean and has a view of talek river. Though it is not a great view, but gives you a feeling of staying in a jungle. The food was amazing, as we do not eat beef or pork, they had good variety of veggies and chicken dishes. Some dishes served were indian, which were beautifully prepared. The hotel has a free wifi in the lobby. The electricity comes during specific time, as this is near jungle. But the timings are well suited for safari tourists.The hotel staff, waiters, reception all are good and friendly. The staff at the restaurant was very cordial and smiling. Overall, it was a beautiful stay and we really love to come back there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Priya_Traveller
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My gf and I loved this camp. The tents were spacious, the beds and furniture comfortable. The public areas of the camp were in great shape, the pool and lodge were fantastic. The food was excellent and the service from the staff, from Stephen our waiter to Michael the manager was a highlight of the experience. The generators were in operation during morning/lunch/evening hours when people were at the camp, and shut off while most (if not all) were out on game drives. The real highlight however was the solar hot water heaters, which gave us our first truly hot showers since we arrived in Kenya. I would gladly stay in the Mara Leisure Camp if I am ever lucky enough to travel to Kenya again, and I'll wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is considering a trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I traveled with 5 others for 15 days (Kenya and Tanzania), and we all LOVED this accommodation! The rooms in the "permanent tents" are HUGE. The bathrooms are huge too, and they have: (1) excellent hot water; (2) a large walk-in shower; (3) a separate big bathtub. Each tent has a little veranda on the front. While you are at dinner, staff will come in and close up all the tent's many (screened) windows and unfurl the mosquito net.

Food here was absolutely the best of the trip -- desserts were incredible and delicious. All the staff were friendly and helpful in every way. The lobby, bar and dining area were all spacious and welcoming. There was even free wi-fi in the reception and dining areas.

Room Tip: Make sure you are getting one of the tents.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Macloo
Reviewed July 11, 2014

What an amazing experience! Firstly, the location is out of this world. Right on the border of the Masai Mara. Wildlife is everywhere. The moneys are very humorous. During dinner we watch them attempt to steal food from the buffet. As your sunbathing they'll walk right past you! The cook was amazing, went out of her way to customize our order, and it was delicious! The tents look as if we were camping but they are so nice inside. I didn't have one sleepless night. After returning home I had realized that I had forgotten my retainer at the camp! I sent a FB message and a Mara Leisure Camp representative, Charlotte was so helpful. They found it and for almost 2 weeks I attempted to ship it back. DHL was horrible to deal with so I went to UPS, unfortunately it turned out that it would cost more for me to ship it back then to get a new one. I am so thankful for Charlotte's quick reply and service as she knew that finding my retainer was important to me. I am very impressed by this positive experience. The staff at Mara Leisure Camp truly care for its customers. Will be returning, hopefully not forgetting anything next time

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Lorealgoertzen
Wallkill, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The tent, location, staff, food and general layout of this hotel helped. I found my interactions with the Masai staff and our nature walk on the last day to make this visit more enjoyable and memorable. This venue was one of the fine hotels I stayed at during an amazing 11 day Kenya tour from Gate 1.

Room Tip: My tent was great. Most of my fellow travelers found their accommodations to be excellent as well.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mitchell K
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights as well, and the room was lovely, a bit of a walk from the dining room, but a lovely tented cottage.

Good was very good, chef cooking eggs each morning, very good selection of food. Dinner was excellent as well.

Very close to the entrance to the reserve, saw many animals and enjoyed seeing them in the wild.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family