All reviewsdaily lifeold townbeach barsea facing roommain poolspecial hoteltop floorspeed boatnooks and cranniespassion juicehome from homemanda beachhotel is beautifuldhow tripsstayed longertour guideswahili architecture
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I have nothing but good things to say about Lamu House. The owners and staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. The décor of the hotel was very stylish but culturally sensitive. It is a very unpretentious but elegant place. In my experience many hotels struggle to find this balance. My room was lovely, it had small touches that made a great difference- like candles, the gift of a kikoy, the flowers on the bed, bug spray (didn’t see any bugs), and the lovely toiletries in the shower. The facilities were lovely – the pool area was very comfortable and there were so many little nooks and crannies in the buildings to discover. I enjoyed the roof top Swahili bed sitting area. I felt like I was the only one that knew it existed. I ate in the restaurant every evening. The food was exceptional and compared to where I had lunch in Shela, the prices were very reasonable. The staff were very accommodating. One night I wanted to dine by the pool and they accommodated my request. Nothing was too much trouble. I also went on a dhow trip which was fun and had a massage in the open rooftop spa. It was incredible! They also offer a very good laundry service. The speed boat shuttle to Shela was also great. I hope I will have the opportunity to return to Lamu House. I loved the buzz of Lamu town and Lamu House provided a very stylish oasis of calm away from the town chaos. It was the best of both worlds. I have been raving about it on my return and advising all my friends to go, if they ever have the opportunity.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2010

One of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in.

Very engaged owners. Very good restaurant. A really nice hotel!

Saved our stay in Lamu after we left Jannat House which was a clear disappointment..

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2009

hi, last few days i were in Lamu, its one of my favourite place. Travel on Donkey, sleep on luxurious dhows gave me good experience. its my dream place also, that i love of traditional swahili culture. Lamu is the quiet place for your dream holiday. i took the rent house with "lamu house rental" , its perfect one, their quality of serve is good. their houses are also restored, decorated and stylished by welcoming the long history. they have the good principle and took me safe for the whole journey. I really thanks to those people and their quality of service and even affordable cost for house.

i found their online address is: http://www.lamu-house-rental.com

1  Thank Smileone21
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We stayed here for two weeks and we loved it.If you are looking for a luxury stay in a really authentic environment , the lamu house is a dream.It is located in the middle of town at the seafront.Don't come here if you want to live completely quiet and far away from everything.Here you live on the rythm of the town and the sun.Sitting on your own terrace and watching the activities on the quays is never boring.Altough the deserted beaches are only a 5 minutes boatride away.
The rooms are all different and beautifully decorated.Everything is very clean.Also an excellent restaurant near the seafront where Frank has the lead.
We are already looking forward to coming back.
Dirk and Katrin , Belgium

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed in Lamu House for one week. The owners treated us like friends. They do everything so that you have an holiday you never forget.
The hotel is placed in the town so you can hear the noices of the town but we like that (for the real african feeling). The hotel, the rooms are beautifull decorated. There is a swimming pool to refresh yourself. The owner is also the cook and he makes nice spicy food.
I'm certain we go back to lamu House one day !

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends