“"The Jewel of Lamu"”
Review of Baytil Ajaib

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lamu Island
Baytil Ajaib
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lamu Island
Washington, DC
“"The Jewel of Lamu"”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I enjoyed my stay with Paul at Baytil Ajaib as always. My last visit was more than 10 years ago when Paul and Norbert first purchased this beautiful home. It has come a long way since then. Paul is the perfect host, and along with the other guests celebrating Christmas at Baytil Ajaib, we traveled by boat to other parts of the island for lunch, sightseeing, cocktails, and dinner, and making for a beautiful and exotic rendevous for all to enjoy. This is the kind of place one wants to return to time and time again just for the rest and tranquility of the island, and the meeting of interesting people from all over the world.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I recently had a simply wonderful 10 day stay at Baytil Ajaib. I have visited several times before and keep coming back. Norbert and Malik treated me regally. My apartment was grand and comfortable. The high Swahili beds make for a deep, relaxing sleep and there are many soft day beds for reading and chatting. Many days, I didn't even leave the house. Baytil Ajaib is an calm retreat where I was surrounded by beautiful Swahili architecture and exotic decor. The true gem of Baytil Ajaib is the generosity and kindness of Malik and Norbert. I can't wait until my next visit!

Room Tip: This is a grand home with lovely apartments.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Amidala3000
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My girlfriend and I spend a wonderful 3 nights in this beautifully restored home. Malik and Norbet have beautiful taste and suceeded to renovate this stunning 350 year old home into a work of art.

However, as beautiful as our surroundings were, the best part of our stay was the hospitality of Malik, Norbet and the boys. They could not have done more to make our stay more relaxing and enjoyable. Malik even walked us around town in order to point out historical sites, the better restaurants and reasonable shopping area's.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxing vacation, intelligent conversation with great hosts and all within the safe confines of a magnificant location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adam M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Firstly I would like to apologise to Malik and Nobert in being so remiss in not posting a review sooner. I stayed in Baytil Ajaib in April, returning to Lamu is always a wonderful experience however I could tell from the other reviews I had read regarding Baytil Ajaib that staying here would give me a different perspective and in this sense it delivered. To stay with Malik and Nobert is not like staying at a hotel or guest house; you are being welcomed into someones home (and life). The accommodation and food is fab but the essence of your stay is the amount of time they give up to ensure you are getting the most from Lamu. The experience they provide is second to none - Sanj & April

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Royal Oak, MI
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Baytil and we couldn't recommend it more. Malik and Norbert were incredible hosts. Upon our arrival Malik took us on a guided tour of the city to show us the ins and outs and the best places see and to dine at. Everyone in town knows Mr. Malik. The home itself is gorgeous. They rebuilt it many years ago and really did an excellent job. We had a huge, comfortable, well appointed room. The breakfast they served was delicious. The omelettes and pancakes were delicious. The staff was extremely attentive as well. We really enjoyed sitting up on the rooftop. It has incredible views and is a lovely place to relax and take in the beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Baytil Ajaib is an absolute gem. I stayed in a huge and beautiful suite in this tastefully retored mansion in the middle of Lamu town. Service by the four dedicated staff was impecable, very personal yet one retains one's space. There are two cooks (if you chose to dine here) who produce the most fantastic meals. Don't miss the spaghetti with lobster made by Wilson, the Maasai cook, or the ginger crab made by Abraham, a local. The owner, Malik spoiled me with his delicious puddings. Everything is done with fresh local produce. Baytil Ajaib is 'the' place to stay in Lamu.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We had a fabulous (though far too short) stay here with Malik and Norbert. Lamu is such an interesting town and Malik is the perfect host to show you around, particularly if stories and cultural discussions over delicious meals or up on the rooftop are your style. The house is absolutely stunning (my pictures don't being to do it justice) - they have done such an amazing job restoring it to it's original glory.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Banana House & Wellness Centre
Lamu House Hotel
Lamu House Hotel
#3 of 34 in Lamu Island

Been to Baytil Ajaib? Share your experiences!