“Beautiful and eco-friendly house with a friendly atmosphere”
Review of Subira House

Subira House
Ranked #4 of 32 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Nairobi, Kenya
“Beautiful and eco-friendly house with a friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was an amazing place situated in a beautiful old stone house. You can feel that the owners have put their heart and soul into the place and they are very helpful looking after every detail of you stay. Each and every room is individually decorated and the boundaries between inside outside is blurred with the lovely galleries where you can have a sun down in the evening or just relax. With just a few rooms you will found the atmosphere in the house very calm and friendly and you will feel like home (or wish it was your actual home…).

The house is located only a five minutes walk from the jetty, where you will find the “taxis” (boats) taking you to the beach or wherever you want to go. You will also find many good restaurants and small shops within just a few walking minuets. I would strongly recommend having dinner at their restaurant, Karkadeh, at least one evening of your stay. Get ready for a real feast as Michael, their excellent chef, won’t let you down.

The eco-friendly concept strongly appeals to me and with eco-san toilets and the “law” of the three R’s, reduces, reuse, recycle, deeply rooted and advocated. Christina and Paul try really hard to reduce the hotels ecological footprint on Lamus’ fragile environment and hopefully their work will inspire other hotels to choose the same path.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CarlssonsMaria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Subira house is a lovely guesthouse tucked away behind the old fort in Lamu Town. My boyfriend and I stayed there for two nights in June 2012. It is an environmentally aware guesthouse, with silver Eco accreditation. However, this only really meant that we had cold showers, everything else was really beautiful, with peaceful rooftop terraces where we could have a drink in the evenings. Julius and the other staff were very attentive and friendly, and couldn't do enough for us, helping us organise a beautiful dhow trip with Captain Bubu and to find find equally as nice accommodation in Shela at the StopOver Guesthouse. Lamu town felt extremely safe, even though we were almost the only tourists at this time of year!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kellyinafrica
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I recently spent nine days on Lamu and had the absolute pleasure of staying in the immaculate Subira House. My decision to travel to Lamu was a hasty one. I left Nairobi in search of some peace and quiet on the coast and intended to stay only in Ukunda and Malindi before returning to Nairobi. Once on the coast however, I realized I was in search of something more and began to look into ways to get to Lamu.
Admittedly, I did have apprehensions about traveling to Lamu with the ban only recently lifted and being a white, single female traveling alone, but the idea of this island paradise with only 2 cars and 2000 donkeys enticed me too much to keep me away! I had some communication with both Paul and Christina (the owners of Subira House) voicing my concerns before I arrived and their patient, encouraging words assured me that a trip to Lamu would be exactly what I needed.
Subira House is stunning. I could not have asked for a more beautiful, peaceful and magical (for lack of a better word!) place to stay. It was an absolute joy and luxury to call my home for the nine days that I stayed there (it should be noted that my original plan was to stay for only 3 days!).
Paul and Christina are gracious and welcoming hosts and it is clear they have taken time in choosing the best staff (incredibly attentive and kind) and the best chef (the food is superbly fresh and superbly delicious).
Not once in Lamu did I feel threatened or uneasy. I was completely comfortable walking around the streets by myself and found people to be warm and welcoming. I visited during the low season (end of May) and was one of only a handful of tourists on the island. I was recognized and remembered wherever I walked, which in some circumstances would make me quite nervous, but in Lamu circumstances only made me feel safer and more at home.
I highly recommend visiting the island of Lamu and I highly recommend staying at Subira House if you do. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Hannah K
crilamu, Owner at Subira House, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
We are so happy that you help us spread the word that Lamu is the special and wonderful place in the world for visitors to enjoy in safety and peace. So many among the Lamu people still suffer from freigtening words by journalists from last autumn. Most of us who live here know these events are other interior problems not proper kidnappings. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for helping us and all of Lamu to survive!
Christina Aarts, manager and owner of Subira House
Milton, Delaware
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Shane on Lonely Planet for omitting this wonderful guesthouse in the heart of Lamu from their latest edition of Kenya. From their dhow pick-up at Manda Airport to their fabulous little restaurant, we have been captivated by the hospitality of Paul and Christina Aarts and their wonderful staff. We are almost at the end of a 2 week stay and have occupied the Top-Top Room where the cool sea breezes and water view have continued to enchant us.We have a lovely patio and lounging area outside our bedroom where we are served huge breakfasts of local fruit, homemade granola and homemade yoghurt, gorgeous omelets and freshly baked bread. If one wishes, they can dine in the small Karkadeh Restaurant on the premises by making a reservation in the morning. The chef, Michael, is an artist in the kitchen using freshly caught seafood and freshly picked vegetables and fruit to create the most amazing soups, salads, entrees and desserts. We have eaten 4 dinners here so far and have not found another place that even closely compares with Karkadeh. In the evening, our room has its own little star-gazing terrace to relax on.
In addition, the Aarts have restored the house to reflect the traditional architecture of Lamu and, at the same time, use an eco-friendly approach to the daily functioning of the house. They supply very, absorbent silk towels and use an eco-san waste system (Subira should be in Lonely Planet's "green" index). If you are coming to Lamu, go to Subira House, you will be enchanted.

Room Tip: The Top-Top Room catches all the breezes and has a water view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn F
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We spent too short a time in this beautiful guest house on our third trip to Lamu since 1994. We were not disappointed.

The traditional Swahili house behind the fort is tastefully renovated, its spacious rooms and terraces furnished with an eye for every detail and very clean. Exceptional kitchen, friendly service and very nice and helpful owners.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank victormerten
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This is a beautiful, peaceful house, and we were lucky to stay in the top appartment which was private, with its own balcony, and great views - very special. The decor is simple and traditional - the eco waterless toilet has inspired me to see if I could use something similar with development projects elsewhere in Africa. If you want beach and tourist modernities, you will need to go elsewhere, but if you want an intimate experience of Swahili culture, this is for you.

Lamu people are not always the friendliest to outsiders - its a traditional society and that has to be borne in mind - and ask before taking photos, but please DO NOT be put off by the security warnings about Lamu and Kenya in general. I felt perfectly safe in Lamu - its a main town with lots going on. There have been problems in more isolated locations nearer to the Somali border, and these are maybe best avoided - but Lamu has unfortunately and unjustifiably found itself lumped in with some of the reporting.

There are no cars on Lamu, only camels and donkeys. Its a way of life that is fast disappearing - maybe only Massawa old town (Eritrea), Stone Town (Zanzibar) and a handful of other places still capture the east Africa coastal culture.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank senti2comun
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2011

...stay here! I'm not going to review Lamu, just go.

First of all, Kristina is a welcoming, knowledgable host with excellent taste. She has lived in Lamu for decades and is activelly trying to improve Lamu for everyone! If you get an offer for a night tour of the town, please don't pass it up!

She has created a wonderful oasis, with prepared local meals if you want to dine in. The rooms are spare and beautiful and she will organize airport pick up and drop off to the house, taking some of the egde of the process of haggling, standard fare that can feel threatening or just annoying if you're not used to it. The rates are reasonable even for locals. If you stay, ask for a day trip to Manda Toto. Babu and Bubu, our guides, we great too!

(They have ecologically sound Swedish toilets that don't pollute the water shed and are odorless!)

Room Tip: Top top if you wanna "splurge"
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 32 in Lamu Island
Kizingo
Kizingo
#2 of 10 in Lamu Island

Been to Subira House? Share your experiences!