“Quiet evening spot, nice food”

Moonrise Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 20 Restaurants in Lamu Island
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Quiet evening spot, nice food”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were in Lamu during the Cultural Festival, and went here on our last night when there were less people around. The food is really good - we had tuna which was delicious, if a little too much! Good value, quiet, and as others have said a nice view of this end of the waterfront.

Visited November 2013

Kalmthout, Belgium
“The best food in Lamu Town”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed as guests in Lamu House Hotel for one month in November (this was our second stay) and we had breakfast, lunch and dinner EVERY day at the Moonrise Restaurant (part of Lamu House Hotel).
Every day fresh (sea)food with lots of variation : salads, pasta's, fantastic tuna (the carpaccio !!!!) and crab dishes, homemade fish-fingers, different vegetables (super avocado), soups,....etc etc.
And the fries were much better than the original ones in Belgium !
Friday-evening dinner is a real culinary experience, with live traditional Lamu-music on the background.
The restaurant is small and cosy, with shade and great views of the water and the daily life on the quay. The service is friendly and personal.
A real moment of peace and quiet during a visit to Lamu Town.
You will not find a better place !!!
We will be back in November 2014 : tickets already booked : can't wait !

• Visited November 2013
Kisumu, Kenya
“Fabulous Friday Dinner”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The prix fixe menu on our Friday visit was wonderful (crab claw, tuna carpaccio, cold cucumber soup w prawns, pasta with pesto, seafood curry with rice and dessert) and amazing for 1500Ksh/each. Made us want to come home and figure out how to make this happen in Kisumu (less often...). The owner was very considerate of the children as well, bringing them soup and a nice pasta early on. Truly one of the nicest dinner I have had in a long time, and a lovely setting. We ate another night, from the menu, also very nice (but hard to beat Friday night, especially with live music as well.) (Not too loud, don't worry.)

Visited December 2013
Callaway, Minnesota
“Just the best restaurant in Lamu”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Just back from a month in Lamu and the Moonrise restaurant is head and shoulders the best dining experience in this wonderful community. Frank and his wife are super hosts and always checking with the guests to make them feel welcome and that everything is OK. The setting is perfect, open but shaded with trees and overlooking the ocean and the moon when full trickles in to enhance the setting.

The Friday night gathering with it tapas like meals and a local group playing Swahili music makes Fridays nights here so special and unique. Frank has such an eclectic choice of food that you will be thrilled what is on offer and always enough to make you feel satisfied. It is not to be missed.

This is my third trip to Lamu and while seafood is king, at times I do tire of it, and this time I tried the spaghetti bolognese and it was so good. I could eat this 5 times a week and it kept me coming back. While I did stay in Shela and the boat taxi at night is a bit of a hassle, it was well worth to enjoy the food here.

And keep in mind the Sunday fixed meal at Lamu Beach Club on Manda. Again Frank creates a
special menu full of surprises and the value and quality of the food cannot be topped.

To my way of thinking, when visiting Kenya, the Moonrise and Lamu Beach Club are among the top places to dine. I cannot think of any others I enjoy more. Be sure to give Moonrise a try, you will not be disappointed.

Jim in rather cool Minnesota where the temp last night was minus 31 F degrees below zero.

• Visited November 2013
Kampala, Uganda
“A surprising disappointment”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

With all of the incredible reviews on here, my friend and I went expecting a fantastic time. I'll start with the good. The view is just absolutely fantastic. It's at a part of the sea front that's not overloaded with people so it's quiet with a wonderful view of the water. The ambiance is great as well. And that's where my good ends. The food was mediocre at best, though priced high. Our service was terrible. As in, getting to the point of begging our server to pay attention to us. We also went with the Lamu House to their beach club and had a great experience with delicious food so I'm just hoping that we hit the Moonrise on a bad night.

• Visited October 2013