“All excellent”
Review of Msafini Hotel

and 1 more site!
Msafini Hotel
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed there for four nights and it was just wunderful. Friendly staff, exellent food, very clean, nice ambiente and a never ending Beach.....
For people looking for a real swahili place on a island without motorised traffic just to put on top of the list!

Room Tip: The tripple room on the 3rd floor has a realy big balcony for its one where you also can have your m...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had such a wonderful experience at the Msafini Guest House. Shela was beautiful and Msafini was the perfect mix of luxury and affordability. We had a triple room on the third floor with a huge private veranda, and that would have made the trip worth it alone. I can't remember being as relaxed as I was lounging on the swinging bed on the veranda, sipping delicious juice from the hotel's kitchen. The manager was lovely, though we only saw him once, and most of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, two of the staff were very surly and rather rude, and that left a bad taste in our mouth. But overall it was an incredible place to stay, and I wish I were back right now!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ep363636
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Beautiful property with great view. I traveled with group of friends (4 adult females) and 4 children ages 7-11. There was plenty of room for the kids to play and the adults to unwind. Food service was nice but painfully slow. We ended up ordering samosas from a local vendor by per-order and they were a delight. Location was short walk to water. The staff were always friendly and accommodating. However, care must be used to secure personal effects. One night, we were waiting for food service on the terrace dining area. My friend decided to return to the rooms to retrieve a camera battery. She noticed a staff member walking out of her room. It struck her as odd as it was evening and the rooms had already been serviced for the day. Later she realized that approx 50 Euros in coins were missing from her wallet (which was in plain view in room). There were no safes provided. Beware cautious of who has access to your rooms/floor when dining.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ponydoc
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just excellent, no complains whatsoever, great food, great design, very neat, super helpful staff, and best value... no need to look more! I traveled with a friend and with such good value we were able to get two separate rooms but next to each other, they opened the balcony for us which made it quite a good space where we had our delicious breakfast while viewing the dunes on the one side. People always super helpful, small but nice pool, will definitely stay here again...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I loved this place. They rescued me from my dingy and drab guest house in Lamu Town, and I was blown away at the level of service and quality of the place for such an affordable price. Beautifully furnished rooms, clean place from top to bottom, great food, and just a nice vibe that allows you to completely unwind and relax. I still can't get over the quality of the place. I was prepared for something more like a budget hotel given the price, but was so nicely surprised. I will recommend this place again and again when given the opportunity. I also liked the location -- right in the middle of this small little town that allows some exposure to a day-in-the-life of people in Shella without it feeling intrusive. All in all, a great place.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floors have especially great views!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Msafini in July this year and it was a wonderful experience. I would have loved to stay many more nights. Friendsly and helpful staff, no hassle, good food, flexible cook and waiters, - not to mention the fantastic view. You could spend the whole day just admiring the beauty of the place! When I go back to Lamu island, I will definitely make sure I stay in Shela town and at Msafini Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the one with private balcony (3rd floor)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Msafini Hotel certainly impressed from the word go. I had planned a surprise engagement for my fiancee and both Mohammed Ali (Hotel Owner) and Faraj (Hotel manager) were up to the task. Upon arrival, Mo arranged for our pick up from the airport and also for boat transfers to the hotel where we were warmly welcomed and ushered to our 3rd floor suite that had a panoramic view of Manda Island as well as the largest patio ever, complete with an oversize hammock/daybed that became our constant companion for the 3 days we stayed. The rooms were spotlessly clean, traditional wood furniture enchanting and Gira, our ever attentive waiter attended to our every need. The hotel has a rooftop restaurant, but we never had to use it as all our meals were served on our patio that had a private dining table overlooking the ocean. The food was excellent, but a little pricey. The pool, though not very private, provided a welcome relief from the scorching sun during the day as well as night. Mohamed and Faraj arranged for me to propose to my fiancee in a traditional ceremony known as "kirumbizi" that was attended by practically the entire shela village community! Unbelievable!!She had no words, but to say "Yes"!!! We ended up staying an extra night for an unforgettable 4 days stay that we shall remember for the rest of our lives.
Easy on the pocket and with a wonderful staff, I would definately recommend the Msafini Hotel.
We have already booked a year ahead for our anniversary!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple