“a decent stopover”

Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Lamu Island
Vancouver, Canada
“a decent stopover”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

A nice thatched patio overlooking the jetty....food is reasonable if not exciting

Visited December 2011

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Real seafood, charcoal grilled - what else...”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Just the real tasty charcoal grilled seafood. Bring your own bottle of white wine and enjoy barbecued lobster, crab, fish fresh from the sea. Seafood platter is great value for money.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Sam S
Moscow, Russia
“Scored average for us, especially compared with other meals on Lamu”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The place looks nice from outside and when you do your evening promenade along the seafront on Lamu, you are very tempted to go in. The tables are candle lit, the atmosphere seems lively, always quite busy with tourists and accompanying them locals. We had one dinner there and I would rank it as very average compared to other places we tried in Lamu. The juices were good, but so they are everywhere. The shrimp coctail was ok (nothing special); my swahili fish (fish with some souce) was actually pretty bad, I did not enjoy it and could not understand how fresh it was, the souce was rather heavy. My partner's food was also average.
I know this place is hard to miss; it is right in the heart of things and you may get luckier with the food than we did. However, I would recommend to try also other options for eating on Lamu.

• Visited September 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
“not for vegetarians!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I am a vegetarian and ordered vegetarian curry and there was beef in it.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Nairobi_Life
Providence, Rhode Island
“One meal a day? Better make it to Bush Gardens.”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Lamu is an enchanting town, with its friendly people, winding roads, and historic architecture. Even I, an unrelenting optimist, however, was feeling a bit sluggish by the end of my first day: a chilly drizzle and hours of fasting (it was Ramadan) had begun to drag on me. Walking along the main stretch of the island that evening, between thatch-roofed shops and dhows floating in the sea, I saw the inviting outdoor deck of Bush Gardens with its twinkling lights and was drawn in. The servers were prompt in bringing me a menu and a cool glass of juice, which was incredibly refreshing to drink while sitting in the sea breeze and listening to the chatter of the customers and ever-friendly beach boys. After filling up on a plate of cocunut prawns over rice, I had no difficulty in stuffing myself with seconds--tomorrow would be another day of fasting, after all, and I would surely be craving Bush Gardens again by lunchtime. The only draw back--it was a little pricey by Kenyan standards. But well worth it.

• Visited August 2011