“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Perth, Australia
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I was looking for a hotel where Riverside shuttle (to Moshi) can pick me up for free in Nairobi. The price was reasonable for single (USD50). I emailed the hotel and got a confirmation before I left home, and there was no trouble when checking in. Some parts of the room looked tired, but what I needed (bed, toilet, shower) were fine and clean. The staff were very kind and helpful. I had a good language lesson and enjoyed ugari tasting at the restaurant. The reception guy helped me when the shuttle company forgot to send a driver to pick me up in the morning (almost missed the bus). It was only one night, so I did not walk around outside. But my impression was that when all the road work around the area finished, the access to the city centre would be safer and easier. Anyway, I appreciated the staff's cooperation.

Room Tip: I forgot my room number but mine was not facing a busy main street, so it was quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Europa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Staying at Kipepeo Hotel was absolutely the right decision. They offer one of the best prices for what you get. And in town, it is getting difficult to find reasonable prices for middle-class hotels.
I stayed in a single-room, facing the main road. The only disturbing thing about that hotel side is that opposite, there is a Church-preacher’s hall, where meetings are held from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. And this man is not just preaching, but typically African shouting out his words via microphone and in stereo! Plus, there is a kind of discotheque/club close to the hotel, which is quite loud on weekends, as well. So if you need to sleep, watch the windows are closed!
Still, the commodities, like free internet-access in all rooms (though with connection problems sometimes), like the very good breakfast buffet and a welcoming, helpful and friendly staff.
Taking into account that the area around River Road has changed, since police presence has increased, there is no more reason to avoid that quarter. I always felt safe coming back to the hotel, regardless of the time day and night.
In total, I can recommend the hotel, as prices are good, and quality and cleanness is fine. Just the noise is disturbing sometimes.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
uqbar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

after reading reviews here, I booked this hotel.
it is dirty, dysfunctional establishment, would not recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: there is no good rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Fareham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We were a party of 13, a school trip stopping over for one night before returning to the UK after volunteering in Nakuru for two weeks.
The restaurant staff didn't seem to have a clue how to take our evening meal order, and I had to take charge of the waiter and tell him how to go about sorting out the situation. The food did take a while to arrive, but when it did everyone seemed quite pleased with their choices.
The reception staff were very friendly and efficient. All staff that I came across were helpful.
The rooms were variable... My colleague and I had a rather small room (room 2) that they'd shoehorned two double beds into which was ridiculous. It left no room at all for moving about the room let alone 4 large suitcases to be stored. Any more than one night would have proved extremely wearing. Our toilet didn't work initially, and on fixing it meant we still had to lift the cistern lid to get a flush from it. We were in a room overlooking the main road at the front which was quite noisy and pretty continual. Other rooms within our party were more spacious, but some being "internal" (no outside windows, only windows overlooking internal passageways) meant they were absolutely swealtering and quite uncomfortable.
Be aware that their key system is decidedly suspect... a couple of students from our party were given a 'master' key which meant they could open any door within the hotel! They had two minutes of fun barging in on various individuals from our party before I took this from them and returned it to reception, which they duly changed, only for the second one to work in exactly the same way... The hotel reception realised an hour later and confiscated the key card altogether, which was then extremely awkward for the two lads concerned. The message is: make sure you lock your room internally, just in case this happens again.
Not bad value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ginger-Suz
Juba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Kipepeo after being away from the country for the past year and found it to be all I remembered . The staff is very very friendly and helpful . My room was nice and always clean . Wifi is provided at no additional fee . Food at the hotel is reasonably priced as was the room . The location makes moving about the City Centre on foot easy and transport to any other desired location is readily available . Security is very good . I highly recomend this hotel to travelers visiting the city .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike Q
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

kipepeo hotel one of the best place to be i really love the rooms they are very clean with the white bed sheets n towels i do stay at this hotel every time am in nairobi
thank kipepeo for your good services i highly recommed yu

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank loyce a
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I and our 6 month old baby stayed here in March 2011 for one night en route to Tanzania.
Our room was clean and spacious, with a huge mosquito net and bed - perfect to unwind in after a long haul day time flight. The reception and porter staff were very helpful, friendly and efficient - particularly noting that we had a small baby. There were no disturbances and we all slept really well.
Breakfast was basic but completely fine and what you'd expect for the price. I find it a bit odd that people want to jet across to Africa and expect a full English breakfast in any case, but never mind...!
Anyway, we left the hotel in a rush to catch our bus to Tanzania and just as we were leaving the Nairobi suburbs I realised that I had left my mobile phone under my pillow in our room (a real panic, particularly when you're far away with a small baby). My husband managed to speak to the shuttle bus driver who phoned the hotel manager, and he personally went up to our room and confirmed that he had my phone. It was then arranged that the phone would be put on a shuttle the very next day and brought to Moshi... which is exactly what happened and my phone was safely returned to me.
I'd really recommend this hotel as a safe, clean budget option, and I'm hugely thankful that they helped us out.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family