“Going stale”

The Carnivore Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 608 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: On the outskirts of Nairobi on the Langata Road is the world famous Carnivore, known as the Ultimate 'Beast of a Feast', a meat lovers den where a vast selection of succulent meats are charcoal grilled and carved at your table. Adjoining the Carnivore main restaurant is the 'Simba Saloon' - a vibrant informal a la carte restaurant with a childrens playground,
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Not much has changed over a long while. It's great if you like meat and want to sample different varieties. Also good for a night of dancing at the Simba saloon but a lot has remained the same. Good for first time visits, gets old with time.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,353)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The trip notes said "you'll either love it or hate it". I didn't lean either way, but felt it is certainly overrated and very very expensive by Nairobi standards (over $50US with a couple of drinks). There was supposed to be an endless supply of fresh cooked meat - whilst there was a reasonable variety it was (generally) either overcooked or 'blue', it was slow to come, you had to ask to get a reasonable serving. Really nice bar, fantastic atmosphere, and a great dance floor.
However, most of the group I was with agreed that it was not good value for money and the food rather ordinary.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The restaurant is amazing, we have seen different pricing range on tripaddvisor before we go, but we were a group of 8 people, we payed around 30$ each, and we ate until we couldn't move.

1  Thank alynourst
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I came here with a big group of people after we got done a Safari. I had heard about this place of course but it stopped selling most game meat a long time ago. It is basically an africanized brazillian steak house. It has an indoor and outdoor seating arrangement and the whole place is pretty cool. The atmosphere is really cool as well. They brought us out starters for our main course of samosas which were excellent. The also offer you a nice mixed drink to "open up your appetite" but we found out later it only opens up your wallet! Then they have gigantic trays of sauces which are all great. The servers come around with different servings of meat and tell you which sauce goes best with it. They have your beef, chicken, pork, etc which all taste amazing. They also come around with crocodile which was pretty decent, ostrich meatballs, which I could have eaten 50 of put it was like pulling teeth to get more, and then ox balls, which I didn't have! I know, I'm a wuss. I think it was the equivalent of 33USD which is not bad for the whole experience. The hard part is getting out there. We organized with our hotel to bring us out at 2000 shillings per car which isn't too bad because they waited for us the whole time. I would go there again absolutely and if you are in Nairobi you should definitely try it out!

1  Thank JWalker610
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was my second visit to this restaurant after 20 years. I did try some of the wild meat like antelopes 20 years ago. But this was banned in 92/93 where you can't hunt for these wild animals and get them into your stomach anymore.
Nevertheless, I love this restaurant as the atmosphere was very nice once we entered. The big BBQ grill station captured every visitors' attention. We were in a organised tour. The set lunch consisted of salad, bread and soup, followed by different rotation of grilled meat including beef, pork, chicken, ostrich, crocodile, then beef, pork ....
There was a small flag in each table. You can just put down your flag when you think you have enough as a carnivore, otherwise they will keep coming besides you and slice the meat on your plate until you surrender.
Don't forget to complete your meal with a genuine Kenyan coffee:)