“Not the place for meat lover”

The Carnivore Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 593 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: On the outskirts of Nairobi on the Langata Road is the world famous Carnivore, known as the Ultimate 'Beast of a Feast', a meat lovers den where a vast selection of succulent meats are charcoal grilled and carved at your table. Adjoining the Carnivore main restaurant is the 'Simba Saloon' - a vibrant informal a la carte restaurant with a childrens playground,
Reviewed August 4, 2013

As this restaurant has a very strong word of mouth I decided to go and have lunch there with my husband, who is a MEAT LOVER.
They only had ONE cut of beef meat, which was always overcooked... having no more choices if you wanted beef.
The pork chops were overcooked :(
And to finish.. you had to call the waiters to continue passing with the food through your table because once they did the first round they assumed you were full or just avoided you, when the concept is "All you can eat".
Definitely won't come back or recommend this place to a friend.

GCD51, Director of Sales at The Carnivore Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor. We regret that you did not enjoy your meal as we try to offer the best of food and service and obviously fell short on this occasion. We are really surprised that you could not find any meat to eat as we have several different types of meat on offer e.g. lamb, leg of pork beef, chicken ostrich crocodile etc. We are also puzzled as to how you ate pork chops when we do not serve them. Once again, we apologise that your meal did not live up to expectation.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I used to go to this restaurant with family in the early 80's when it first opened. It was quite an experience for us -- the Brazilian churrascaria concept adopted to local surroundings. I returned to Nairobi after several years abroad and had mixed feelings about going back since the reviews I read on Tripadvisor of late were not great. Nonetheless nostalgia compelled me to make a visit and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The décor, surroundings and ambience are perhaps more upgraded than before (although I do admit I miss the less commercialized environs of the past -- no gift shop back then or paved parking lot with marked parking spots). The disappointment was with the quality of the food -- much of what I got was overcooked and tough. I kept asking the servers for more tender / rare cuts and they did whatever they could to try to bring me juicier meat, but they weren't always successful. Yes, the price is high by local standards, but its fine once in a while as long as the experience (culinary, ambience, service) etc. is superlative. I also didn't miss what some others who went there in years past miss -- game meat -- since I didn't care for it in the first place. If they could just figure out how to keep their meats moist and tender I would rate them much higher.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

If you love meat this is an experience you have to make. A lot of different kind of meat incl. crocodile served on a lance and sliced at your table

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nice atmosphere, good and friendly service/staff.
The keyword is "lots off different kind of meat".
Grilled on long spears and cut directly at your table.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

As a restaurant its has a great environment and the service its pretty good. The food comes fast and the quality of the food its not the best you would taste in your life but its pretty decent. The main reason why would you go to this place its mainly because of the types of meats it offers as part of their "rodizio" selection (or drag by one of the many tour operators or taxi drivers tied by commissions)

Crocodile, Ox balls, Ostrich are some of the different types of meat you can enjoy but sometimes its difficult to see the good cuts around. Most of the times you get full with chicken and different types of sausages.

Still its a good experience to do if you are not used to this cuts but for sure I would not choose this restaurant for a gourmet experience. Its a barbecue place and thats what you should expect. A place for eat until exhaustion and with friends.

1  Thank RMartinSDXB