Kenya Comfort Hotel
$84
$225
$157
Trip.com
All reviewsmosquito nethot waterhour restaurantsafe placekenya tanzaniasingle roomtwo nightsuhuru parkwifi connectionnational museumthe hotel is cleanmasai maragate
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I searched on net and decided this hotel only because of its excellant location. It is in the real heart of business district and all places are accessible nearby by walk I booked through Expedia.com and so there were no hassles. When I arrived, receptionist courteously took my passport for a copy and gave me the keys of room.
Rooms are ok. I stayed in a single budget room as just needed to stay for a night. However the security is very tight. It seemed like a fortress where at each pace and at each entry point & floor you have locked gates. So they gave me 3 keays - one for opening gate just out side lift, another to open door to enter the gallery of floor and third of my room. Also there is one security staff always 24x7 on each floor.
Food in the restaurant is good I just took breakfast.

Room Tip: Try to take/choose a room on the front side because then you can see the road outside. If room is inside gallery then you will feel like dumped with no sense of outside world.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I've stayed at Kenya Comfort Hotel a few times despite my reservations about the place which i've decided to share here.
The rooms themselves are thoroughly bland in their appearance and presentation and the en-suite shower and toilet are just about clean and "habitable", so to speak!
At $70 a night for a basic (no TV - no point in opting for the TV as the channels available are not worth watching!) single room, it's not cheap but $5 cheaper than Sandton Palace which I've also reviewed here. The rooms are a reasonable size for one person but I know that the doubles are not appreciably bigger, so couples would find them claustrophobic.You get a small table which I suppose substitutes for a desk, and the in-house wireless internet is ok for emailing and browsing web-pages but not for streaming video if you have opted for no TV...!
Hot water supply is hit and miss - either get up early and hit the showers before the majority of guests have done so or lie in late and hope there's some left!
The worst aspect of the hotel is the exposure to environmental noise. If the chamber-staff are having a conversation at the end of the corridor, you can clearly hear them despite a closed door. I was also woken at 4am by loud crashing and banging, along with chatter, from what I assumed was the kitchen but could have been from one of the establishments that the hotel backs on to.
The restaurant serves a basic menu and I enjoyed the bacon and egg sandwich but I wouldn't recommend it for ambience and decor.
The location is probably the best aspect of the hotel, along with the friendly and helpful reception staff. Having said that, despite having paid for 2 nights in advance, I was somewhat harrassed by a manager who kept asking me to pay up...!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that overlook the rear of the hotel as this is where the early morning racket comes from!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank oyster250
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What's good:
+ early morning stay concept: arriving at 4 AM, costs 45$.
+ restaurant with very good food (breakfast wasn't that much early in the morning, better later in the morning).
+ safe way to pay by visa/mastercard
+ straight forward help at the receptiondesk (which has sooooo many people behind it!)
+ bedsheets, towels included
+ clean room
+ banks, supermarkets and travel agencies in the surrounding
What could be better:
- lack of late evening stay concept, staying until 1 AM would also cost 90$, whilest they can rent the room on early morning stay again?!
- very very noisy, we stayed in two different rooms, earplugs are really needed.
- very very pushy people on the streets, you can't step 2 meters without being harased. People do get annoyed if you don't want to join them to their shop whatsoever. We found this very tiredsome.
- not much to do in Nairobi, no advise at the reception on what to do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Arriving at Nairobi at night, we booked this hotel because of its central location, so as to get our 4WD in a nearby agency and start our Safari toward Mara on the early morning the day after.
We paid 90$ for twin beds with breakfast.
Let's be honest it's a shame!
The room is 10m2, aged and depressing.Ugly and tiny bathroom.A small TV on the high corner of the room (like in hospitals) was not working.Drunk people talking out loud until 2am down the street.There's a windows above the door of your room so as you can benefit from the corridor light all the night.Help!!
The only thing we wanted was to get away quickly from this place in the morning.
The owner is only making money with the location of the hotel.Nothing else.This kind of rooms shoulf be no more than 40$.Again it's a shame
Our advice: run away!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
kchensuites, Director of Sales at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Cleanliness and a high standard in operations are a management priority.

Now with regards to your sentiments on pricing. The rate you paid was $ 45 pp bed and inclusive breakfast for a budget room. This rate includes 23% taxes and translates into $ 36.50 per person inclusive of room and breakfast and free Wi Fi, security and other overheads.

Operation costs are fairly high in Kenya with very high power costs, very high interest rates, general costs and a high component of expensive imported goods. In our opinion, the rate you paid is extremely fair as $ 45 in a first world country may not even pay for one sit down meal.

In the future, we will install soundproof windows to minimize the street noise level and which is an improvement which we are prioritizing.

Alternatively, the top floor is much quieter with spacious rooms and a complimentary mini bar. We welcome you to return to stay with us and sample the superior room and which are only $ 57.50 per person sharing Bed and Breakfast double.

In general we market ourselves as a smart value or budget hotel and when we travel also, it is difficult to find clean value accommodation in best locations for anywhere near the $ 45 per person you paid and are extremely concerned about what we feel are unrealistic expectations of visitors on costs when they visit Kenya.

Operations Director

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Kenya Comfort Hotel is a 'no frills' hotel that makes no pretence to be anything other than that.
Surrounded by far more expensive hotels in the busy central business district, I stayed on the sixth floor in a superior single room with breakfast included for 80 Dollars and a complimentary bar comprising a bottle of water, apple juice and a can of Castle stout. The room was small but clean; same as the toilet which was a combined shower with toilet bowl and sink separated by a shower curtain.The breakfast wasn't great but the wifi was free and excellent throughout. I was told I would have to deposit a refundable 24 Dollars before I would be given the remote control to use the air conditioner but I declined as I spent all of daylight out of the hotel and at night, the room was cool enough to sleep in without any discomfort.
Overall, I got what I paid for, no pleasant or unpleasant surprises. A cheap and clean place to stay especially if the plan is to spend the minimum time inside the room.

Room Tip: The cost difference between a budget single room with breakfast and a superior single room with breakfast is 25 Dollars. You can also save another 10 Dollars if you chose the no breakfast option as the hotel is surrounded by many restaurants and eateries.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo