All reviewsmosquito nethot watersafe placesingle roomuhuru parknational museumthe hotel is cleanmasai maragate
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have been living in Nairobi and chose the Kenya Comfort Hotel for my family to stay at when they came to visit. I actually ended up making three separate reservations - for the few nights before we went on safari, one night in between safaris, and their last night before flying home. I asked if I was required to leave a credit card number on file and was told we could pay upon arrival. I also left my mobile number in case of any issues.
A few days before they arrived I went to the hotel again just to confirm my bookings were listed. They let me look in their reservation book, and I saw that our name was clearly written for each night.

The first two times we stayed at Kenya Comfort, we were all pleased. We enjoyed the location and the room was spacious and clean. The staff was friendly and I always felt secure. Unfortunately, in the mornings there was a great deal of noise from the adjacent supermarket loading dock but it was not unbearable.

The night before my family went home, we returned late at night to find that our room was occupied and the hotel was full. We were also given the line about having to pay in advance to secure the room (refer to a few older reviews for similar stories), but when I told them I was told I did NOT have to pay upon making the booking, I got some flimsy excuse about the employee not understanding the rules. Like another reviewer here, I would agree that the staff were completely unapologetic about this. They told me they had a group that had booked the room for an extended stay. Obviously, rather than risk losing several nights' profit from telling them they would have to leave for one night, they simply gave them the room and told us we were out of luck. At the very least, the staff should have held another room for us after knowingly giving away ours. We ended up staying at their sister hotel - a hideous experience that I will also be reviewing!

Why was I not told, on any of the FOUR separate occasions I confirmed our bookings, that we needed to secure with payment? Why did no one call me to say our booking would not be honoured? I am extremely disappointed but I can't say I'm surprised - it's not the first time a Kenyan hotel gave me the run around. I would warn anyone visiting Kenya that customer service is an evolving art here. Maybe the manager's rebuttal to this post is coming, but I hope Kenya Comfort can stop making excuses and simply improve their customer service.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
kchensuites, Manager at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

I have carefully gone through and scrutinized both your reviews, whose facts I would like to clarify.
Firstly, I believe that you are widely travelled and as such you are fully aware of the booking and reservation concepts worldwide “whenever you do a room reservation and don’t pay for it, the booking remains tentative, it will only be blocked if you make a down payment further reservations without payment can be sold if one doesn’t show up between 6.30 to 7.00 pm latest. You returned late at night, what if you didn’t show up at all and the room was kept for you without payment? May be that is why you encounter some issues with Kenyan hotels. Our sister hotel is located in upmarket at suburbs of Milimani and currently undergoing extensive renovations rooms are not dingy with gaping holes though rooms you were allocated are yet to under go renovations. Since I believe you stay in Kenya I request you to come and pin point the holes expenses paid.
The exposed wiring in the lobby is one of the construction requirement in conformity with the laid down government procedures of occupational health and safety act 2007 for safety of the guests staff and other occupiers of the premises.
The bed without mosquito net was as a result of your needs since you were a family and it was your decision to share a room we had to fix an extra bed but if you could have raised the issue with the duty manager, then you could have been given a separate room without any problem.
All meals in the restaurant are freshly prepared. All our rooms are fitted with hot instant water showers and if you don’t correctly regulate the flow of water then you are bound to get wrong water temperatures.
Besides we run a fairly good forum of sorting out our guest issues as we have a 24 hour duty manager and all other senior managers are on call if one feels dissatisfied.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

1st of all the price is 60 dollars a night. Expedia charged 102 plus tx 18%.....
Not a nice place...not a safe neighborhood...not condusive to a decent nights sleep. We paid less for the Hilton and the Hilton rocks!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank viper56
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed in this hotel since we didn't want to spend much in accommodation in Nairobi (we had only 7 hours before starting our safari).

Positive points:
-Hot water (we arrived at 23:00 and had hot water)
-Clean
-Nice staff
-Restaurant open 24 hours

Negative points:
-Very small room
-No A/C and no possibility of opening the windows if you are a light sleeper
-A little noisy

Overall I believe it is an acceptable option considering the price/category of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room (4th and 5th floors)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This Hotel is reasonable in price. It is much nicer then the other small hotels in the area. The hotel has good security and you can walk to shopping, good coffee shops, places for dinner, etc. Downtown Nairobi can be a dangerous place and most of the time I avoid staying downtown. This hotel is a good option if you want or need to be in the city center. Rooms are small but clean. Breakfast is decent. The pub has a nice veranda to watch the street scene with a cold beer. Try to get the Resident's Rate as it is cheaper.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are nicer
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We were on a very tight budget, and this was almost the end of our trip, as we had run out of time and money. We'd heard all the warnings about Nairobi! When our shuttle from Arusha stopped, and I glanced up and saw that a hotel recommended in Lonely Planet was just across the street, we immediately checked it out. Price (about $60/double incl. breakfast) was way above our budget, but other than that, we found it more than satisfactory. I have to agree with the review mentioning the shower - or the toilet, as well - for either one, it was a tight squeeze. But they were clean, and there was always enough hot water. I would recommend getting an interior room (they all had windows), as the street noise is annoying in the exterior rooms. We left for a few days, and got an interior room upon our return. Much nicer, quieter, and a nicer view. Security was excellent, staff always friendly, restaurant was more than adequate, and WiFi was consistently good - unlike a lot of the other places we'd stayed in Africa. Oh yes, there's a very slow elevator (a lift, for non Americans), but it saved a lot of stair climbing!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple