“Excellent hotel”

Kivi Milimani Hotel
Ranked #140 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night pre-booked by our tour company for a safari we were doing. Is a nice hotel with nice clean rooms and friendly staff. Nice pool which we didn't use as weather was cool. Only issue we had was lifts broken and had to walk up to 5th floor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chch2010

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night prior to Intrepid Serengeti Trail ,not sure how much the tarrif is as inclusive in my tour price.Reading previous bad reviews I took note of which rooms to avoid and away from noisy lift so asked reception for a good room with a secure lock and away from the lift.Staff were very friendly and obliging, also stated that the broken locks had been repaired. I was placed on the 5th floor room 511 which was just fine, yes the hotel is old and dated but my room was clean with a king size bed with crisp white linen.I also had a balcony with table and chair which overlooked the pool.The bathroom is also dated but staff showed me how to turn on the switch for hot water which heats instantly.The water was hot and adequate.
That night as a group we ate from the dining room choosing from the barbeque or whatever you wanted from menu.I wasn't hungry so just had the pumpkin soup and fresh bread which was thick and delicious.Some of the others were not impressed with the barbie and didn't think it was good value which also included beer or glass of wine.The restaurant had live entertainment with African dance and music with the dancers being very energetic, they danced around the tables getting people up to dance with them which was fun. When we returned to the Hotel after our tour some of us were heading to the airport later in the evening for flights home so for a tarrif of $30 we could use the room(officially only one person per room) for 4hrs enabling to shower and to repack.This hotel is in Nairobi centre and about 20 min walk into town.This hotel was fine for one night, suited me as I don't sweat the small stuff.

Room Tip: Room 511 on the 5th floor overlooks the pool and is away from the noisy lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed several times in an apartment of Kivi. The plus is the location and the swimming pool and garden. And the price of the rent of an apartment for a week is not too bad. But.. all is in bad shape and needs an update! Staff is friendly, the management does not understand how to run a hotel like this. On my departure day the was no cash to pay back my deposit for the apartment, so I missed my bus!

Room Tip: When you stay one week or more, rent an apartment. You can prepare your own food and it is very spac...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Rik G
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Mid-priced hotels in Nairobi city center are tough to come by. I stayed here before and after a group trip and my original room was on the first floor. The vinyl floor in the bathroom was peeling badly and it appeared the room needed some upkeep. The drain trap on the sink was leaking and it was obvious it had been for some time. When I returned from my trip I was put on the third floor which had been maintained a bit better. Both of my rooms had instant hot water at the shower and it seemed to work well. (Tip: lower water pressure moves the water more slowly over the heating element and the water is warmest if you turn the heat to max and flow to medium or lower.) I found the breakfast a great addition to the room and the a la carte dinner/lunch menu good but it took forever to receive your order. Staff was very accommodating and informative. They were a bit quick to recommend a taxi into the city center but it was only a 15-20 minute walk but they did offer maps of downtown. Overall, if the rooms had a good remodel it could get much better ratings.

Room Tip: If it looks a bit dodgy ask to see another.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2013

An old structure with old fixtures and fittings. Its not the worst place, but it has its problems. Showering is a horrible experience. The peeling pait on the ceiling didnt do much for the beauty. The cold breakfast was a definate negative.

The staff at the reception were excellent though. They didn't say it out, but somethng in their eyes said they would appreciate a facelift to the hotel. Afterall, they are the front office persons that get the 'bashing'from unsatisfied customers. And the guy at the gate...I'm still trying to figure out why he was not letting us out unless we produce some pape reception forgot to give us. Would I have been denied check-out or access to the outside world without it?

The vegetation outside is really good. Owners, please invest in a serious facelift.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2013

There are much better hotels in Nairobi but it's one of the most expensive cities in East Africa for hotels.
- The hotel is basic.
- The locks on the rooms aren't great (but seriously you don't leave valuables in any hotel room)
- Staff were extremely friendly.
- Hot Water can be dodgy (but some rooms have new hot water pumps)
- Pool and garden areas are really nice
- Like every where in Africa food is slow (TIA)
- Intrepid use this hotel, as it is the only place where they can have 10 overland trucks pull up without issue.

Room Tip: - Away from the lift!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here as part of a safari tour. It is a standard hotel, the rooms are basic but clean. breakfast is basic but adequate. Nice garden and pool area. Good location for city centre. Staff were helpful. I looked at booking an extra night but glad I didn't considering the price. hotel down the road was better value.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends